Tailgate Table

OpsWest

First Name
Ops
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
awesome! was the install difficult since this was made for the JK?
I had challenges mostly related to me learning how to figure out where to drill holes. My cardboard template wasn’t accurate and had to re-drill. Now that I n ow exactly where to put them it can be done in few minutes and simply bolt it all up. I added 4 bolts to the plastic just in case but it’s not needed.

In the end 3 bolts on top, 1 larger bolt on bottom and it’s good to go. I could try to measure in MM the bolt locations to share it.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I had challenges mostly related to me learning how to figure out where to drill holes. My cardboard template wasn’t accurate and had to re-drill. Now that I n ow exactly where to put them it can be done in few minutes and simply bolt it all up. I added 4 bolts to the plastic just in case but it’s not needed.

In the end 3 bolts on top, 1 larger bolt on bottom and it’s good to go. I could try to measure in MM the bolt locations to share it.
It was probably the exact same drilling locations as the Mopar Table I got.

B0DB0BFF-9F84-413D-B139-A1A2B3618004.jpeg

ZONA.OVRLND

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 392 Hemi Wrangler - Follow on IG @ zona.ovrlnd
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
So I have the Mopar tailgate table and I'm happy with it. Easy installation, zero noise, at least that I can notice, have had it for well over 6 months now. However, I have seen the Outback Adventures Tailgather tble, that has the plastic or bamboo cutting board slide out and that added space off the table is huge and I want that.

So it got me thinking....I have 2 options...

1) Just bite the bullet, take off the Mopar one, buy the Outback Adventure table and call it a day - spending another $150-$200 for that additoinal benefit - try sell the Mopar table. OR

2) Would there be a way to reinforce this table so it supports more weight, and then retrofit on the backside of it, a similar set up and add a bamboo cutting board with what's there already?

To reinforce it, i'm not engineer by any means so I could be completely wrong, but it seems to be that the 2 reinforced plastic string things that hold the table when it's down...if that were to be replaced by something that is stronger...that would increase the overall table's weight capacity, right?

As for adding the bamboo extension...that'd have to be something that someone fabricates mounts that will go onto the Mopar table that fit whatever bamboo piece to go along with it.

Just talking about what I'd have to do, and writing this post, makes me think, probably is a lot easier to just buy the one I want and try sell the MOPAR one. Hmmmm....

ANyone have any thoughts on that? Seen it done? Suggestions?

voodoo11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2018 Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
So I have the Mopar tailgate table and I'm happy with it. Easy installation, zero noise, at least that I can notice, have had it for well over 6 months now. However, I have seen the Outback Adventures Tailgather tble, that has the plastic or bamboo cutting board slide out and that added space off the table is huge and I want that.

So it got me thinking....I have 2 options...

1) Just bite the bullet, take off the Mopar one, buy the Outback Adventure table and call it a day - spending another $150-$200 for that additoinal benefit - try sell the Mopar table. OR

2) Would there be a way to reinforce this table so it supports more weight, and then retrofit on the backside of it, a similar set up and add a bamboo cutting board with what's there already?

To reinforce it, i'm not engineer by any means so I could be completely wrong, but it seems to be that the 2 reinforced plastic string things that hold the table when it's down...if that were to be replaced by something that is stronger...that would increase the overall table's weight capacity, right?

As for adding the bamboo extension...that'd have to be something that someone fabricates mounts that will go onto the Mopar table that fit whatever bamboo piece to go along with it.

Just talking about what I'd have to do, and writing this post, makes me think, probably is a lot easier to just buy the one I want and try sell the MOPAR one. Hmmmm....

ANyone have any thoughts on that? Seen it done? Suggestions?
I personally went with option 1 and no looking back.

Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
You’re correct Sir. Better cables, more weight capacity. I believe ALL the tables use the SAME mounting points (I could be wrong). That being said upgrade the cables and you’re good to go. If you want tons of table space by a pop up camper and tow it with you lol

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Depends on a thing or two more than just stronger cables...like: what are the cables anchored to? how strong is the table itself? how strong are the attachment points of the cables on both ends? Those "strings" may be something like Spectra fiber that may have a breaking strength well over 100 lbs. Just sayin...the limiting factor may not be the "strings".

Last edited:

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I like this concept. Just a bit worried about execution of it. Looks like lots of opportunities for rattling. And that slide out cutting board cantilevered out there (supported on one end) would be springy or a more technical name...boingy. I'm going to search for a Youtube review.

Update:
I found a youtube from a guy in Sweden or somewhere. He was sawing on the cutting board on something he called "sausage", that looked more like a couple SlimJims to me. I suppose it's functional to use but still pretty boingy. I may get one anyway. Better fit for me than the others I've seen.

Last edited:

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1977 FJ40, (RestoMod), 2018 Camaro SS Convertible, 2020 Tesla Model Y Performance
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
You’re correct Sir. Better cables, more weight capacity. I believe ALL the tables use the SAME mounting points (I could be wrong). That being said upgrade the cables and you’re good to go. If you want tons of table space by a pop up camper and tow it with you lol
Depends on a thing or two more than just stronger cables...like: what are the cables anchored to? how strong is the table itself? how strong are the attachment points of the cables on both ends? Those "strings" may be something like Spectra fiber that may have a breaking strength well over 100 lbs. Just sayin...the limiting factor may not be the "strings".
Roaniecowpony.....you are exactly right, except you forgot probably the most important limiting factor of any of these tables which is the mounting system. If we were working on the elements of the tables themselves, any one of these tables could meet or likely exceed a rating of 40 pounds. I am certain that if I bolted one of Springtails tables to a wall and tied off the paracord....it could easily double that amount.

A lot has been said about table "ratings" in this thread....if a company is going to be completely honest with themselves and their customers, they have to rate the table by the weakest point. In this case, there is a reason that MOPAR rates their table at 25 pounds....that weak point is likely the four 6mm bolts mounting into a magnesium tailgate. IMHO, no one using this mounting system can honestly rate their table higher than the manufacturer using the same system. I would be hesitant to fully believe any "rating" unless the company includes a video of them loading multiple tables to the breaking point and then calculating an average weight that destroys the table.

So then couple in the factors of the dynamic movement weight while offroading and the wear on your critical components (hinge and clamping system)....it may not make the system fail but it certainly could lead to rattling (my personal biggest pet peeve). Heck we have even found over our past decade in business that atmospheric pressure and temperature can play a role in a tables performance. There is a reason that we use tight clearances, shoulder bolts and adjustable hinges that are rated for 5 times the predicted weight loads.

As far as the cable vs Cord debate: Cable is great as long as it is coated....we have found that uncoated cable can make an annoying vibration sound at times when on gravel roads. The companies (including Springtail) that use cord are likely using "550" Paracord, That references Mil-SpecType III paracord, which a type commonly found in use and is nominally rated with a minimum breaking strength of 550 pounds (static). In addition to being super strong...it is inexpensive, fully adjustable (on our system anyways) and in a pinch can be used as emergency cordage for a number of needs because broken down it contains 7 individual very strong nylon strands within the sheath (truly amazing stuff when you need it).

Now I am going to tell you that the above commentary is completely moot......We have found over the years (in discussions and inspections of many customer vehicles), the vast majority of people never put more than 12-15 pounds on their rack when closed and rarely more than a sandwich and a beer on it when open (maybe a french press and a bagel for breakfast).
It has always been our opinion that anything heavier probably should be strapped to the floor of the cargo area for safety.

Tailgate racks/tables function best for the items that need to be convenient when the tailgate opens....first aid kits, a knife, basic tools or recovery equipment come to mind.

Doc

Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Roaniecowpony.....you are exactly right, except you forgot probably the most important limiting factor of any of these tables which is the mounting system. If we were working on the elements of the tables themselves, any one of these tables could meet or likely exceed a rating of 40 pounds. I am certain that if I bolted one of Springtails tables to a wall and tied off the paracord....it could easily double that amount.

A lot has been said about table "ratings" in this thread....if a company is going to be completely honest with themselves and their customers, they have to rate the table by the weakest point. In this case, there is a reason that MOPAR rates their table at 25 pounds....that weak point is likely the four 6mm bolts mounting into a magnesium tailgate. IMHO, no one using this mounting system can honestly rate their table higher than the manufacturer using the same system. I would be hesitant to fully believe any "rating" unless the company includes a video of them loading multiple tables to the breaking point and then calculating an average weight that destroys the table.

So then couple in the factors of the dynamic movement weight while offroading and the wear on your critical components (hinge and clamping system)....it may not make the system fail but it certainly could lead to rattling (my personal biggest pet peeve). Heck we have even found over our past decade in business that atmospheric pressure and temperature can play a role in a tables performance. There is a reason that we use tight clearances, shoulder bolts and adjustable hinges that are rated for 5 times the predicted weight loads.

As far as the cable vs Cord debate: Cable is great as long as it is coated....we have found that uncoated cable can make an annoying vibration sound at times when on gravel roads. The companies (including Springtail) that use cord are likely using "550" Paracord, That references Mil-SpecType III paracord, which a type commonly found in use and is nominally rated with a minimum breaking strength of 550 pounds (static). In addition to being super strong...it is inexpensive, fully adjustable (on our system anyways) and in a pinch can be used as emergency cordage for a number of needs because broken down it contains 7 individual very strong nylon strands within the sheath (truly amazing stuff when you need it).

Now I am going to tell you that the above commentary is completely moot......We have found over the years (in discussions and inspections of many customer vehicles), the vast majority of people never put more than 12-15 pounds on their rack when closed and rarely more than a sandwich and a beer on it when open (maybe a french press and a bagel for breakfast).
It has always been our opinion that anything heavier probably should be strapped to the floor of the cargo area for safety.

Tailgate racks/tables function best for the items that need to be convenient when the tailgate opens....first aid kits, a knife, basic tools or recovery equipment come to mind.

Doc
Good write up!

I’ve tested the Mopar Tailgate Table with 30, 12 oz bottles of beer which I believe is 360 oz. 360 oz should be somewhere around 25 lbs.

While it’s more than French press and a bagel, it held up to the challenge without struggle. Good enough for me!

digirati

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Anyone know why the Mopar tailgate table ( 82215416AB) is no longer available on the Mopar website? I wonder if they’re coming out with an updated/better version.

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1977 FJ40, (RestoMod), 2018 Camaro SS Convertible, 2020 Tesla Model Y Performance
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
Anyone know why the Mopar tailgate table ( 82215416AB) is no longer available on the Mopar website? I wonder if they’re coming out with an updated/better version.
PM me and I will tell you the likely reason that I heard.

Doc