Sponsored

Tailgate Table

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1977 FJ40, (RestoMod), 2018 Camaro SS Convertible, 2020 Tesla Model Y Performance
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
couple more pictures....

5d114574-7e23-42ad-b9f8-58b1f5f9a05c_zpsdhi6zzru.jpg

678968a1-ac38-4662-9a43-046b62d4e583_zpstav6f9mz.jpg

Doc
Sponsored

Zoobie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Vector Offroad also has a tailgate table available:
https://vectoroffroad.com/collections/jl-wrangler-products/products/jl-table

That Springtail one looks really nice. I like that it maximizes size and the large number of molle attachments, and that they are of variable size. That is going to make it VERY flexible! I also like that it doesn't have the stupid cup holes. Does the Springtail attach to the same mounts? What I am really asking is if the install is easy... is more required that just drilling the holes in the plastic faceplate?

Some feedback... avoiding rattle is a super high priority for me. The Vector uses magnets to help with that. Something else to consider in your design... have you thought about some molle holes on the back plate? I am wondering if there is an opportunity to put something narrow inside the table when it's closed... and to have some way to attach to the back plate. Not sure... just asking. I would rather the table be as narrow as possible, than make it thick to put things inside per se. Something else to ponder... is that if you made a thicker version (like 3") with an ability to lock, then it would serve as secure storage. Which is a premium when you have the top off! Not sure if others find that interesting... just brainstorming.

I was about to pull the trigger on a table, but that Springtail design looks far superior... any ETA?

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
couple more pictures....

5d114574-7e23-42ad-b9f8-58b1f5f9a05c_zpsdhi6zzru.jpg

678968a1-ac38-4662-9a43-046b62d4e583_zpstav6f9mz.jpg

Doc
Will these be custom branded, like you have Springtail on the bottom but say I wanted “wranglerman” branded on one

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1977 FJ40, (RestoMod), 2018 Camaro SS Convertible, 2020 Tesla Model Y Performance
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
Vector Offroad also has a tailgate table available:
https://vectoroffroad.com/collections/jl-wrangler-products/products/jl-table

That Springtail one looks really nice. I like that it maximizes size and the large number of molle attachments, and that they are of variable size. That is going to make it VERY flexible! I also like that it doesn't have the stupid cup holes. Does the Springtail attach to the same mounts? What I am really asking is if the install is easy... is more required that just drilling the holes in the plastic faceplate?

Some feedback... avoiding rattle is a super high priority for me. The Vector uses magnets to help with that. Something else to consider in your design... have you thought about some molle holes on the back plate? I am wondering if there is an opportunity to put something narrow inside the table when it's closed... and to have some way to attach to the back plate. Not sure... just asking. I would rather the table be as narrow as possible, than make it thick to put things inside per se. Something else to ponder... is that if you made a thicker version (like 3") with an ability to lock, then it would serve as secure storage. Which is a premium when you have the top off! Not sure if others find that interesting... just brainstorming.

I was about to pull the trigger on a table, but that Springtail design looks far superior... any ETA?
Thank you....I am not sure what they were thinking with the cupholder idea. :)
The Mounting system is exactly the same.....it would be a shame not to use all those factory mounts and pre marked areas to drill the plastic.

We have never made a product that rattles or squeaks....the trick to that is doing your due diligence and knowing what exactly causes the noises. Each project has its own idiosyncrasies I personally have spent more than a few hours in the cargo area of a off-roading JK/FJC diagnosing prototypes. Our tolerances are incredibly tight and you may hear the occasional customer complain that our product might be hard to assemble (usually, they should not be entrusted with tools) but you won't hear any complaints about noise. The running joke at our manufacturer is the time I came in and accused them of using "squeaky paint" on our dog barriers....we changed brands of powdercoat and I was right. We have been in this business for over a decade now and it is virtually all we do.....I would be remiss if I did not mention that we know what we are doing.

Your ideas are likely very valid and once we get this project done with, I will start a thread and see if anyone else feels like this is a good idea. Locking storage always has one issue with us and that is the lock itself (at least integrated locks....personally, I hate keys)....neither myself or my engineer seem to have mastered a decent design. Most times it would only keep out an 8 year old. I would need to work on that.

It is worth mentioning that this business is very small, it actually is my part time job that serves as mental relief from my full time job.....sort of an industrial artistic expression sort of thing. We take an incredible amount of pride in what we do (because it is all we do). Basically, I make cool stuff for myself and if you guys like it....you can have it too. :)

Will these be custom branded, like you have Springtail on the bottom but say I wanted “wranglerman” branded on one
Sorry....in order to keep quality high and prices reasonable, we make our products in batches and do not venture from defined designs. To paraphrase Henry Ford...."you can have any color (logo) you want, as long as it is Black (Springtail)".

BTW, The giant logo is not set in stone....but it is functional to allow air to the vents in the door. Personally, I kind of like it....and it is hidden when the door is shut (which I also like).

Doc

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@Springtail thanks for answering questions, one more thing is I know the Mopar one uses. 13mm bit and I’m thinking a lot of guys don’t have that size so maybe go say 1/2”, I know the difference is minimal but I never cared to “wobble”out a hole.

The item being branded “Springtail” is not a knock as it looks pretty good just was curious is custom branding was an option

Sponsored

Steamboat

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2018 Volvo XC90
Thank you....I am not sure what they were thinking with the cupholder idea. :)
The Mounting system is exactly the same.....it would be a shame not to use all those factory mounts and pre marked areas to drill the plastic.

We have never made a product that rattles or squeaks....the trick to that is doing your due diligence and knowing what exactly causes the noises. Each project has its own idiosyncrasies I personally have spent more than a few hours in the cargo area of a off-roading JK/FJC diagnosing prototypes. Our tolerances are incredibly tight and you may hear the occasional customer complain that our product might be hard to assemble (usually, they should not be entrusted with tools) but you won't hear any complaints about noise. The running joke at our manufacturer is the time I came in and accused them of using "squeaky paint" on our dog barriers....we changed brands of powdercoat and I was right. We have been in this business for over a decade now and it is virtually all we do.....I would be remiss if I did not mention that we know what we are doing.

Your ideas are likely very valid and once we get this project done with, I will start a thread and see if anyone else feels like this is a good idea. Locking storage always has one issue with us and that is the lock itself (at least integrated locks....personally, I hate keys)....neither myself or my engineer seem to have mastered a decent design. Most times it would only keep out an 8 year old. I would need to work on that.

It is worth mentioning that this business is very small, it actually is my part time job that serves as mental relief from my full time job.....sort of an industrial artistic expression sort of thing. We take an incredible amount of pride in what we do (because it is all we do). Basically, I make cool stuff for myself and if you guys like it....you can have it too. :)

Sorry....in order to keep quality high and prices reasonable, we make our products in batches and do not venture from defined designs. To paraphrase Henry Ford...."you can have any color (logo) you want, as long as it is Black (Springtail)".

BTW, The giant logo is not set in stone....but it is functional to allow air to the vents in the door. Personally, I kind of like it....and it is hidden when the door is shut (which I also like).

Doc
Hi Doc,
I love the table and actually like the logo also. However, if you're open to market feedback, I would prefer it be a blank back, molle system, or a very small logo in the corner. I know everything is subjective and several people will have different opinions but if it isn't "my" logo, I want it to be small on everything (my clothes, shoes, vehicles, etc). Just my opinion and take it for what it is worth! ;)

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
@Springtail thanks for answering questions, one more thing is I know the Mopar one uses. 13mm bit and I’m thinking a lot of guys don’t have that size so maybe go say 1/2”, I know the difference is minimal but I never cared to “wobble”out a hole.

The item being branded “Springtail” is not a knock as it looks pretty good just was curious is custom branding was an option
Normally I would agree with you about the bit and wobbling holes....But in this case though, the hole is merely there to insert the spacer into. It would not matter if you had a bit that made it twice as big (or oblong even)....as long as the hole is big enough to get the spacer into is all that matters. I am always looking out for our customers and actually had a consult with our Fastenal rep to see if we could supply a 13mm bit in the kit. But $14.00 per bit was the lowest that we could get buying in bulk....there is just no way that kind of price increase would fly with my customers. I get enough complaints that our product is too expensive....I am not going to self inflict misery. :)

People dig personalizing stuff and I get that it is a popular option....all of our stuff is done at a very busy manufacturer who slides our orders in-between the ones from John Deere and CAT. Even if they had the time for special orders....the price would triple.

Hi Doc,
I love the table and actually like the logo also. However, if you're open to market feedback, I would prefer it be a blank back, molle system, or a very small logo in the corner. I know everything is subjective and several people will have different opinions but if it isn't "my" logo, I want it to be small on everything (my clothes, shoes, vehicles, etc). Just my opinion and take it for what it is worth! ;)
Anytime we put the logo on our products, I generally put it in a corner or behind the scenes. Yes this one is overtly obnoxious when the table is down....even I see that. But its also functional and needed for airflow to the tailgate vent (this allows your doors to shut smoothly when the hardtop is on). If its not our logo....it will be some other design (functional or decorative).

However, I have found that it is important for our logo to be visible for one important reason. We do not advertise....Period. You won't see ads for our products, we do not partner with dealers. It is you guys that do that for us, by showing the product to friends and writing reviews. The money that I would spend on advertising....I use to keep prices as low as I can.

Initially, we did not put our logo on anything we made....business tripled when we did. Obviously, it works.

Nothing is set in stone at this point....I welcome any comments about the design and asthetics.

Doc

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
More peeks as we progress with testing and tweaking the Springtail Rear Door Folding table/Rack

DD643F60-188A-4BEF-BB18-36BDD3C8EE7B_zpspqgy6o07.jpg

287E5F31-E714-40D5-996D-4F3F3CB4E861_zpsf1baizjl.jpg

62711488-638F-4710-A4D8-FCD8754536B9_zpshkjaajmq.jpg

TXRobD

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Toyota Tacoma, 2018 JLUR Sting Gray
More peeks as we progress with testing and tweaking the Springtail Rear Door Folding table/Rack

DD643F60-188A-4BEF-BB18-36BDD3C8EE7B_zpspqgy6o07.jpg

287E5F31-E714-40D5-996D-4F3F3CB4E861_zpsf1baizjl.jpg

62711488-638F-4710-A4D8-FCD8754536B9_zpshkjaajmq.jpg
Looks great. I'll be a customer as soon as this is available for purchase.

Sponsored

Jcsieman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, Lexus RX 350
Installed the Mopar Tailgate Table today... Relatively easy install. Hardest part was finding a 13mm drill bit. Had to drill 4 holes but they were clearly marked on the backside of the trim panel.

https://www.allmoparparts.com/sku/82215416ab.html

E6C150DA-8F74-4F2F-B9BE-6B7933EBF1D2.jpeg

515BF73D-888A-4291-82FD-D75F4330DD0D.jpeg

B30CE972-F7CC-4B31-BA44-7A99937ECF80.jpeg
Would you mind showing (or telling) how much of a gap is between the bracket and your door?

I just installed mine (bought it off amazon for about $25-50 cheaper than I’ve seen other places) and not only were things “off” (like the caution 25 lb sticker was on the wrong side of the table to where it was exposed when table is closed), but the gap between the bracket and door is WAY bigger than I thought. Not sure if I got a cheap Chinese knockoff or my expectations were off based on photos I’ve seen. This is what mine looks like from the side....

Is mine the same as yours (or others reading this)?

Thanks in advance!

E4BA9A79-7651-4D72-B191-596AFA5BD616.jpeg

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
Yeah, that gap looks about right. I have no clue why the Mopar engineers felt like they needed to make it that drastic.

We are experimenting with different length spacers trying to tighten that up for our rack/table. It's a little tricky since the door surface is varying in elevations. I think that I have screwed around with 10 different lengths varying about 1mm each and still have not decided which ones to settle on.

Doc

Jcsieman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, Lexus RX 350
Have you not gotten it yet? I think just adding some black electrical tape around the latch loop will ensure that when its closed it has a good hold and also prevents metal to metal contact. As @Martindfletcher points out there are rubber stops but those are at the back of the table so they wouldn't affect the latch mechanism itself.

Overall, I really like the table and it has a clean look when installed. Perfect for camping or holding tools while your working on the Jeep
I was about to say the same thing. I was very annoyed with the rattle at first.....happened very little bump the first drive. But, after about 10 mins with black electrical tape and scissors, I never hear it. It is a nice touch both functionally and aesthetically. I think the table helps filled the door in better and I like the metal look more than the plastic.

jjonesx86

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Gates Foundation
I splurged and purchased this tailgate table / cutting board combo which is popular in many of the overlanding rigs I've seen (Tailgater) - https://ok4wd.com/camping-overland/outback-adventure-trailgater-table. Unfortunately some low-life scum stole it from my front porch before I had a chance to notice it had been delivered! Video here but the police don't expect this to go anywhere of course -