Tailgate reinforcement help

jbutterweck

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Upgrading to 35" tires soon. Based on my research, the JLU tailgate can handle 85 lbs and the wheel/tire combo I have picked out comes to 88.33 lbs in total. Would only a few extra pounds necessitate tailgate reinforcement? I'm thinking I'll be fine without it but would appreciate some feedback. Thanks!
Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
I suspect a big part of that rating is based on extreme dynamic loads and the manufacturer has to cya. Definitely make sure you get new rubber bumper / tailgate standoffs though. The new wheels will probably have a different offset that your factory ones. That being said, I'd still get a swing gate reinforcement because I think it looks better. ; )

These are what I got:
Amazon.com: Energy Suspension- 2.9105R SPARE TIRE BUMPER SET : Automotive

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Upgrading to 35" tires soon. Based on my research, the JLU tailgate can handle 85 lbs and the wheel/tire combo I have picked out comes to 88.33 lbs in total. Would only a few extra pounds necessitate tailgate reinforcement? I'm thinking I'll be fine without it but would appreciate some feedback. Thanks!
I have BFG KO2 315/70 on factory wheels and did not need tailgate reinforcement.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I ran 35" KO2s on my tailgate (using the RC relocation bracket so it would clear the bumper) and eventually developed squeaks on the hinges after about a year. This isn't the case for everyone and your results may vary.

That being said, there is no such thing as a "tailgate reinforcement" product that actually solves this issue. Squeeks, rattles, folds, and sagging are more due to the hinges being compromised or the OEM carrier breaking apart. Although the JL tailgate is much stronger than the JK, the best way to avoid this is to move the weight off the gate entirely either with an aftermarket carrier that bolts to the tub or one that mounts to a bumper.

What will make a huge difference as long as it's still on the gate is making sure you have bumpstops that reach the new spare so that the tire isn't moving freely as you drive.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I've been running a 108lb tire and wheel combo(35x12.5x17 GY Duratracs and Fuel Block wheels) for a couple months, just onroad, no real offroading. I bought pipe connectors to replace bumpstops and it's solid as a rock, no clunks.
In saying that, I will be getting a new carrier in the spring.

Last edited:

Sponsored

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
You don't need it. I ran that weight on my 2016 JKU with no reinforcement whatsoever for 4 years, including lots of wheeling and bumpy road driving.

The JLU tailgate is stronger than the JKU and will hold up fine.

The *key* is to make sure your spare tire is sitting firmly against the rubber stops at the bottom and torqued correctly against the carrier. It also helps if you don't use wheels with necessary offset that pushes the wheel away from the tailgate.

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
I would not worry about 3lbs. But, if one is also adding new wheels that are wider, with different back spacing that will cause the tire combo to set out further from the tailgate, then that is a totally different story.
Sponsored