Tailgate Reinforcement Help Please

JeffI

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
I know there’s a lot on here about tailgate reinforcement but my situation is a little different. I’m wanting to replace stock KO2 with KM3 same size or maybe go up to 295/70. Wheel and tire change I’m wanting will add about 30 lbs I’m sure. Wondering what best option is for tailgate reinforcement (if needed) and if i went with the Mopar would I need the oversized tire carrier piece as well since I’m not really going up in size? Thank you all for your help.
Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I have been running with BFG KO2 35’s for a few years and have no swing gate reinforcement and have had zero issues, I originally had asked @TTEChris of Tank Customs about this when his shop did the work on my JL and he advised for what I would be running it was not needed and he was 100% correct

I’m sure if you were to hang say 41’s on the back with a really heavy wheel it would be needed

Aloha Offroad

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392
Vehicle Showcase
I have 37“ KO2’s on a Mopar tailgate reinforcement which seems to work just fine. I’m not sure if it’s needed, was more of a preventative measure.

OP
OP
JeffI

JeffI

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
I have been running with BFG KO2 35’s for a few years and have no swing gate reinforcement and have had zero issues, I originally had asked @TTEChris of Tank Customs about this when his shop did the work on my JL and he advised for what I would be running it was not needed and he was 100% correct

I’m sure if you were to hang say 41’s on the back with a really heavy wheel it would be needed
Nice! Thanks for the help. Yea I was thinking adding 30lbs to the original weight shouldn’t be a huge issue as long as I’m not opening and closing it multiple times a day or hanging other items from it. I don’t mind spending more money if it’s needed for peace of mind but not if it’s not needed.

OP
OP
JeffI

JeffI

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
I have 37“ KO2’s on a Mopar tailgate reinforcement which seems to work just fine. I’m not sure if it’s needed, was more of a preventative measure.
I don’t mind doing it for peace of mind for sure. Did you have to do the oversized spare carrier as well or just the piece that reinforces the tailgate ? Thanks for your help.

Sponsored

Fonzilla85

First Name
Fonz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Lawman
I ran a heavy AEV Borah wheel on 35’s for a year or so, no issues. I didn’t have plans to add reinforcement, but I received a Motobilt tire carrier for X-mas last year.

OP
OP
JeffI

JeffI

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
I ran a heavy AEV Borah wheel on 35’s for a year or so, no issues. I didn’t have plans to add reinforcement, but I received a Motobilt tire carrier for X-mas last year.
Nice! Thanks. I’m thinking I may just give it a shot. My combo will be 98-100 lbs.

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
I have 295/70 Toyo open country MT’s which are a heavy tyre (sorry lol) and no reinforcement. I walk my dogs often 3 times a day so the tailgate gets opened a lot and I have had no problems. The tailgate feels heavier to open but I don’t feel that anything is really being over stressed. You’ll be fine.

frogger2020

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Wrangler JL
I got the Rugged Ridge Spartan tailgate reinforcement and the Teraflex Alpha tire carrier. The Spartan is well built and beefy. One hand operation is smooth. I am set for any size that I want in the future.

OP
OP
JeffI

JeffI

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
I have 295/70 Toyo open country MT’s which are a heavy tyre (sorry lol) and no reinforcement. I walk my dogs often 3 times a day so the tailgate gets opened a lot and I have had no problems. The tailgate feels heavier to open but I don’t feel that anything is really being over stressed. You’ll be fine.
That’s what I’m thinking. Thank you. The KM3 runs about the same as yours so I may just roll with it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JeffI

JeffI

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
I got the Rugged Ridge Spartan tailgate reinforcement and the Teraflex Alpha tire carrier. The Spartan is well built and beefy. One hand operation is smooth. I am set for any size that I want in the future.
Nice ! Yes both of those parts seems to be top of the line as far as strength goes. Thanks.

Aloha Offroad

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t mind doing it for peace of mind for sure. Did you have to do the oversized spare carrier as well or just the piece that reinforces the tailgate ? Thanks for your help.
I did have to get the oversized tire carrier in order to move the tire enough or it would have hit the bumper. I originally had a rough country tire riser but it was so heavy and held the tire too high off the bumper so it looked wrong. I then went with the mopar spare tire carrier and I am much happier with it.

Ikanto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I did have to get the oversized tire carrier in order to move the tire enough or it would have hit the bumper. I originally had a rough country tire riser but it was so heavy and held the tire too high off the bumper so it looked wrong. I then went with the mopar spare tire carrier and I am much happier with it.
I appreciate you posting this information as I was in the market for a tailgate reinforcement kit, and also plan on running 37" KO2’s with some sort of Fuel wheels... maybe the Fuel Beasts 17x9.

Aloha Offroad

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I appreciate you posting this information as I was in the market for a tailgate reinforcement kit, and also plan on running 37" KO2’s with some sort of Fuel wheels... maybe the Fuel Beasts 17x9.
No problem! If you ever have questions let me know.

DrDas

First Name
IceDr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I know this thread is somewhat old, but I am having an issue with my tailgate after installing both the Mopar tailgate reinforcement as well as the Mopar Oversized spare tire reinforcement.

I have 37" Falkens on 17" Mopar Beadlock compatible wheels.

The install was easy enough, but afterward, upon closing the tailgate, it does not close without a "clunk" as it hits the latch. I supported the tailgate when installing, and honestly, never opened it so it would stay "even", but it is about 1/4" lower on the latch end.

I can't find any reference to this issue anywhere so I thought I would take a stab at it on the forums and see if anyone has any suggestions. Thank you.
Sponsored

Last edited: