Tail light condensation

El-Jefes-Red-Rubi

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Red Rubicon
Love the Rubicon but my Left taillight is full of water/condensate. Never scratched, bumped or bruised. Stopped at the local dealer and they said Jeep won’t cover plastic or “seals”. What gives Jeep? 2020 JLUR with 48k miles. Passed 3/36 warranty but have 7/100k maxcare
Jeep Wrangler JL Tail light condensation image
Sponsored

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
That sucks and is exactly the sort of stupid thing I'd want/expect an extended Maxcare warranty to cover. Maybe try a different dealer.

Also kinda wondering if having the LED option contributes to lamp condensation. Never had any issues with my last car until I swapped out some halogen bulbs in the taillight assembly. Maybe there's just not enough heat to evaporate any condensation. Wonder if placing a desiccant silica packet in the bottom would help?

OP
OP
El-Jefes-Red-Rubi

El-Jefes-Red-Rubi

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Red Rubicon
That sucks and is exactly the sort of stupid thing I'd want/expect an extended Maxcare warranty to cover. Maybe try a different dealer.

Also kinda wondering if having the LED option contributes to lamp condensation. Never had any issues with my last car until I swapped out some halogen bulbs in the taillight assembly. Maybe there's just not enough heat to evaporate any condensation. Wonder if placing a desiccant silica packet in the bottom would help?
Local dealer said not covered. Called my original dealership who I am friendly with and got the same reply. Maxcare won’t cover. Why spend the money on permanent LED lighting if they leak and you have to replace. Forums are full of this issue. Design flaw somewhere.

I guess the next step is to report to NHSTA. Not that they can fix it but if enough people report it they can force the issue with Jeep

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
Is the taillight still working? If so, then I wouldn't worry about the condensation. When it builds to the point that it stops working, then take it in as a warranty claim. Your extended warranty may not cover the seals that prevent condensation, but it should cover the operation of the light itself.

OP
OP
El-Jefes-Red-Rubi

El-Jefes-Red-Rubi

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Red Rubicon
Is the taillight still working? If so, then I wouldn't worry about the condensation. When it builds to the point that it stops working, then take it in as a warranty claim. Your extended warranty may not cover the seals that prevent condensation, but it should cover the operation of the light itself.
I wish. Dealership said lighting wasn’t covered. I don’t agree. Sending message to jeepcares to see if I get a different reply

Sponsored

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
I wish. Dealership said lighting wasn’t covered. I don’t agree. Sending message to jeepcares to see if I get a different reply
Glad you're taking this to JeepCares. I can see where they might not warranty a seal, but if the stock light itself stops working that really should be covered under an extended warranty. Keep us posted.

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
I had the same problem with a headlight on an old Yukon. Here’s how I fixed it:

1.Removed the housing.
2.removed the light from the housing
3. sprayed it with soapy water, used a leaf blower (or air compressor, can’t remember) to blow from the inside out to see what seam(s) leaked
4. put it in a closed box and used my wife’s hair dryer 🤫 to carefully warm the housing up (I didn’t point the dryer right at the housing) until all condensation was gone. Took about 10-15 minutes.
5. Caulked the leaky seam (I actually re-caulked all the seams as preventative maintenance).
6. Reinstalled.

Never had condensation again.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
what are you basing your position on? Look at the text of your warranty policy. They are either covered or they aren’t.

OP
OP
El-Jefes-Red-Rubi

El-Jefes-Red-Rubi

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Red Rubicon
what are you basing your position on? Look at the text of your warranty policy. They are either covered or they aren’t.
It says not light bulbs or lenses. I’m asking JCC because this is a design flaw. Too many have been replaced/reported. If I had reported it before my 3/36 ran out it would of been covered but MaxCare does not

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
You could argue from that basis that everything that fails is a design flaw.

Sponsored

OP
OP
El-Jefes-Red-Rubi

El-Jefes-Red-Rubi

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Red Rubicon
You could argue from that basis that everything that fails is a design flaw.
Don’t agree there. Wear items are not a design flaw. Bad maintenance isn’t a design flaw. An item designed to give 50000+ hours of use yet has a history of premature failure is a design flaw

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
It says not light bulbs or lenses. I’m asking JCC because this is a design flaw. Too many have been replaced/reported. If I had reported it before my 3/36 ran out it would of been covered but MaxCare does not
An LED is not a light bulb, and unless the lens is cracked, it’s not the source of water intrusion.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
An LED is not a light bulb, and unless the lens is cracked, it’s not the source of water intrusion.
the “lens” is the entire light housing. Sounds like OP purchased a policy without reading it, and expects items to be covered that explicitly are not.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
the “lens” is the entire light housing. Sounds like OP purchased a policy without reading it, and expects items to be covered that explicitly are not.
I respectfully disagree with regard to what a lens is. Do an internet search for "tail light lens". You won't find many that aren't just a piece of colored plastic that that attaches to a housing. The lens and the housing together (along with some other odds and ends) create a tail light assembly.

I do agree that the OP likely did not read every bit of the policy before purchasing. But without actually seeing the policy it's hard to be certain.

Extended warranties are laughable 99% of the time.

OP
OP
El-Jefes-Red-Rubi

El-Jefes-Red-Rubi

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Red Rubicon
I agree. No cracks. Never damaged but Jeep warranty does not cover.
Sponsored