Sponsored

Synthetic rope conversion

amoebadrop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler
Northridge has a pretty good deal on the Warn Evo 10 steel rope right now - effectively $270 after rebate.

Could I just buy a synthetic rope/fairlead conversion kit for less than $100, put it on and essentially have the same thing as the Evo 10s that retails for $870? Am I missing something here? This would be my first winch so perhaps there is something I am not considering
Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Less than $100 would be a good deal on a synthetic line and appropriate fairlead.

OP
OP

amoebadrop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler
That’s awesome, thank you guys. @Flip even at $300 for line and fair lead based off of this rebate it is easily worth it

Sponsored

John Benoit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Northridge has a pretty good deal on the Warn Evo 10 steel rope right now - effectively $270 after rebate.

Could I just buy a synthetic rope/fairlead conversion kit for less than $100, put it on and essentially have the same thing as the Evo 10s that retails for $870? Am I missing something here? This would be my first winch so perhaps there is something I am not considering
The drums are a different size. You would not be able to get the full length of the rope on the drum.

Flip

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Build Thread
Link
The drums are a different size. You would not be able to get the full length of the rope on the drum.
I can't speak for Warn but mine accepted more rope, it came with 65' of steel cable, I put on 100' of synthetic rope no problem.

This is my winch: 9500 lb. Truck/SUV Winch with Wire Rope (harborfreight.com)
This is the synthetic rope I used: Amazon.com: XPV 3/8" x 100ft Synthetic Winch Rope 23,809lbs Dyneema Winch Line Cable Rope with Hook and Sleeve Protection Red : Automotive

165931150_HDR.jpg

Karnak

First Name
Yan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL 3.6 Sport S - 2 door
Occupation
government
Vehicle Showcase
Make sure you check the drum or fairlead/rollers for possible steel rope marks if any (usually more present on older well worn drums) and damage from the steel cable just to make sure you don't have any burrs/edges that could cut your new rope when its rubbing on the drum or sides of the drum etc, a good filing on the drum or edges to take the edge off (if needed) would be fine then I don't see any problem swapping to a rope as long as you get the rope length that fits your drum.

Flip

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Build Thread
Link
A quick search I found this 👇 although it's from 2020.

VR 10 Like the other models, this one also comes with a steel cable line (80’) and a synthetic rope version (VR 10-S) is also available, where you will get a 90’ synthetic rope line.

The Evo Warn 10 has 80' of cable, there is a very good chance it will take 100' of synthetic rope.

Link: Warn VR vs VR EVO Winch Review [Updated 2020] - Worth it? (winchmania.com)

Sponsored

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
The drums are same between the EVO10 and EVO10-S. Warn PN#104229

I talked with Warn when we first started that promo, the rep told me that the winches are the same except for the steel cable, the fairlead and the decals.

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
I can't speak for Warn but mine accepted more rope, it came with 65' of steel cable, I put on 100' of synthetic rope no problem.

This is my winch: 9500 lb. Truck/SUV Winch with Wire Rope (harborfreight.com)
This is the synthetic rope I used: Amazon.com: XPV 3/8" x 100ft Synthetic Winch Rope 23,809lbs Dyneema Winch Line Cable Rope with Hook and Sleeve Protection Red : Automotive

Jeep Wrangler JL Synthetic rope conversion 165931150_HDR
The drums are same between the EVO10 and EVO10-S. Warn PN#104229

I talked with Warn when we first started that promo, the rep told me that the winches are the same except for the steel cable, the fairlead and the decals.
Jeep Wrangler JL Synthetic rope conversion giphy (16)

Old Jeeper

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer

WHAT is a conversion kit for $100????

Syn Rope works with almost all fairleads and then you choice of hook or spindle is up to you...

If you want the best rope, go with https://www.masterpull.com/

I bought my Masterful fro, the guy who started the company when he was selling rope out of the back of his station wagon at Moab and I bought his first one.

That was in 2003. The ripe was 120 feet long, today its just over 80 ft, its see a LOT of hard pulls.

Once a year I ship it back to Masterful and they inspect and clean it and if needed make any repairs which is typically shortens the working end.

Cost? ZERO and they ship it back for free to boot.

Flip

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Build Thread
Link
Settles it for me....looks like I'll be buying one of these. Thanks @Tech Tim
A Warn winch for that price, I don't think you're going to be disappointed. I bought my winch about 6 months ago, had I known I could have gotten a Warn for $269.99 eh.... yeah absolutely I would have gone that route. Enjoy them fellas, you lucky dogs!
Sponsored