Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
Installed my Rugged Ridge Bumper, Stubby and 12 K superwinch today. BTW, both delivered to Hawaii for free and at a great price. Watched a few youtubes on the process. I did 12 winds, pulling back as hard as I could with one hand, maybe 60 lbs? I then hooked up the remaining line to my TJR up the 5% hill. I pulled my JLR up the hill until I finished the first row and the second. I think that should be plenty. I'm skeptical how much tension a 5% slope provides as I was able to control the windup by pulling left or right.

I removed the Heavy-Duty, Clevis Pinned Latched hook and replaced it with a soft shackle. (not in this pic) Now I just need to figure out how to attach the front plate. I keep it in the garage, but I do have a winch cover. I think I'll put the same winch on my TJR.

Jeep Wrangler JL Pretensioning a synthetic rope winch 2023-01-16 12.25.12
Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Why’d you use just hand tension at first before pulling it up the incline? I’d suggest unspooling it and winding the entire length of rope under tension. If you don’t think the weight of the Jeep on the incline provides enough tension, engage the parking brake a click or two while spooling it.

cornercanyon

First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
. . . realizing each day–
Don't you always hand wind 8 - 10 wraps before adding tension? You never unspool all the way before adding a load, no?

OP
OP
J0E

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Don't you always hand wind 8 - 10 wraps before adding tension? You never unspool all the way before adding a load, no?
Correct, you need 8-10 wraps to give enough line friction so the attachment lug isn't pulled out. On low to mid range winches, the lug is rated at something like 200 lbs. On the top of the line Warn Zeon, that doubles, but it's still not much.

The video says 5 or 6, I went with 10.

OP
OP
J0E

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Why’d you use just hand tension at first before pulling it up the incline? I’d suggest unspooling it and winding the entire length of rope under tension.
Have you done more than 60 feet before? Under load, it's very difficult to get all layers wound up right.

For one thing, there's no reason to pretention the entire line. Part of the reason you need to pretension is that if you just wind it up under very low load, then pull out only 50 feet and apply a very high load, it can pull the lug out.

If you don’t think the weight of the Jeep on the incline provides enough tension, engage the parking brake a click or two while spooling it.
3rd time I pulled the parking brake the attachment came undone under the handle. I'll have the dealer fix that on my next oil change and 2.0 turbo cooling service bulletin fix.

Sponsored

OP
OP
J0E

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
When I tensioned my line for the first time I was also able to influence the direction of the wind under load. Little did I realize how much load there was.

See this previous post of mine that illustrates that.
I remember reading that. Next time I'll wrap a strap around the line to make it easier to control the direction.

BTW, here it explains the lug is only to get the line started.

I had my wife steer the JLR where I told her to help the line coming in. We'll move to a 10% grade to get better tensioning. Thanks for the response.
Sponsored