Surfing - what to do with key

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
Adding to this perfect suggestion, it's a good idea to store your keys at home in a faraday bag/box as well. It's not all that difficult to create a long-range RFID amplifier relay.

A thief can use such a relay to signal the key fob in the house, relay it to the Jeep so it thinks the fob is present, unlock the door, start the Jeep and drive off.

Faraday bags and boxes aren't special. Anything that fully encapsulates the fob in metal (solid or fine mesh) will block signals to & from the fob.
Yep. I keep my keyfob in my metal toolbox in the garage.
Sponsored

CDRMidnight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
You might be able to surf on the fob 🏄‍♂️

I always put my keys in my shoe when surfing. Do people really walk the beach stealing shit?
Sadly, yes… at least out here in Hawaii. Heck, there are people literally living on the beaches out here anymore.

I have the same issue as the OP when I go snorkeling. I picked up one of those small waterproof boxes that’s (supposedly) watertight to 90 feet, then put the fob inside a ziploc bag, then inside the box, then clip the whole thing to a bungee loop in the dive shorts.

Overkill? Probably, but I’d rather be safe than sorry. YMMV.

Cheers,
-CM-

P/S Looks like @jadewolf beat me to it…

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Get a faraday bag as others have suggested, then have a $3.00 key cut. Put the key fob in the faraday and hide it inside of your Jeep, then either take the $3.00 key with you or hide it on the outside of the Jeep. It will only unlock the door and not allow the Jeep to be cranked. By hiding the faraday bag inside, if someone does find the key that you hid outside, they still cannot start your Jeep.
JC, that seems like an awful lot of work, and doesn't at all answer the question about the mirror.

Btw, I typically leave the proximity key in one of the cupholders.

JEEP392

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tree
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEVXR392
I've got a ton of ideas. You could say I'm kind of an idea person. None of my ideas have anything to do with rearview mirrors though. Good luck.
Why not use the Key Fob to surf with?🤣🤣🤣💪🏼

Sponsored

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
On my JK, I just hide the key in a box or under the bumper or whatever every time, or a lot of times I just hide it inside the Jeep (when there's no doors/top).

I just picked up a JL Rubicon where the Remote Proximity is a required option, it's nice, but now..........if I hide my key someone could walk up unlock the door, start the Jeep and drive off.

Any ideas from surfers or anyone else leaving the key?
My wetsuit had a pouch thing at the back. I put my key in a water proof bag and stuck it in there. Never leaked, even after some magnificent wipe outs.

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
You might be able to surf on the fob 🏄‍♂️

I always put my keys in my shoe when surfing. Do people really walk the beach stealing shit?
If not surf on it for sure skim board with it.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L

Sponsored

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
One of the fancy SUV companies has a wrist band that you can wear when you're going out to do sports so you don't have to worry about carrying your key. Can we get Ford to do it so Jeep responds with one?

JoeBanks

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport JLU
Have you considered an armrest safe with combination lock? 🤔
Nevermind…just reread OP and see you’re trying to “defeat” the proximity feature.
Lead-lined armrest safe? 🙃

Last edited: