MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Can someone who actually received a JTops shade confirm that you can still install/remove freedom panels with it installed? Can’t see how you would get to the latches with it installed since it appears to go over the roll bar. I understand the front ones would be accessible since the front flips up but the back ones appear to not be accessible.

I don’t have the top, or even a JL yet, but on their website it shows how this would work. The magnets are in the front and stick to the sport bar. This is the freedom panels “off” position. When you want to put the freedom panels on, you simply pull the magnets away from the sport bar and flap it back over the top of the shade for something like 6”. Not sure if that is a Velcro flap or not but it looks like it might be.
Sponsored

Dubeau9005

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, 2010 GMC Sierra 1500
I don’t have the top, or even a JL yet, but on their website it shows how this would work. The magnets are in the front and stick to the sport bar. This is the freedom panels “off” position. When you want to put the freedom panels on, you simply pull the magnets away from the sport bar and flap it back over the top of the shade for something like 6”. Not sure if that is a Velcro flap or not but it looks like it might be.
I saw that but is there not back latches on the freedom panels as well? If I remember correctly when I test drove one, there was back latches that needed to be moved as well.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I saw that but is there not back latches on the freedom panels as well? If I remember correctly when I test drove one, there was back latches that needed to be moved as well.
There aren’t on the jk. Just the 2 screws and then a latch that goes from panel to panel

TPFilm1994

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sport S
How did you like the bestop? did it feel like you were still in a convertible, or did the fabric made it feel like you were still with a top on? When looking up, do you see the fabric, or can you see the sky?
Still felt like a convertible. It’s more like the screen on your window at home. It filters the light a little, but still lets the wind in. After a bit you don’t really even notice it. In fact, there were a few times I went to stick my hand up above the windshield only to be stopped because of the sun bonnet.

(It also helps block leaves, pine needles, etc. And sort of prevents bird droppings from getting on the seats, dash, etc.)

mat071975

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Still felt like a convertible. It’s more like the screen on your window at home. It filters the light a little, but still lets the wind in. After a bit you don’t really even notice it. In fact, there were a few times I went to stick my hand up above the windshield only to be stopped because of the sun bonnet.

(It also helps block leaves, pine needles, etc. And sort of prevents bird droppings from getting on the seats, dash, etc.)
Thanks. It looks like I will need to get one then :like:.

Sponsored

KnoxDD

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
Just pre-ordered my sun shade for a JL from JTops. I sent them an email and receive an immediate call back from the owner. Sounds like this is the right product for me - good quality, straightforward install (no need to drop the windshield), secured with buckles and magnets, hardtop can go over the shade, and these guys stand behind their work. All things considered, should be a good value.

https://www.jtopsusa.com/

martyb511

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sahara, 15 Lexus CT200h, 15 Toyota Highlander Ltd
Just pre-ordered my sun shade for a JL from JTops. I sent them an email and receive an immediate call back from the owner. Sounds like this is the right product for me - good quality, straightforward install (no need to drop the windshield), secured with buckles and magnets, hardtop can go over the shade, and these guys stand behind their work. All things considered, should be a good value.

Sorry I didn't post this earlier...been a busy few days. But I also pre-ordered mine and spoke to the owner a few days ago. If anyone is interested in ordering their top use coupon code JL15. My accessories are piling up and still playing the KZ status waiting game.

Last edited:

thehangingchad

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase

I had a similar experience. The owner was very responsive via email. Answered all my questions and sent some additional photos.
unnamed.jpg
unnamed (1).jpg
unnamed (2).jpg
unnamed (3).jpg

martyb511

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sahara, 15 Lexus CT200h, 15 Toyota Highlander Ltd
Can someone who actually received a JTops shade confirm that you can still install/remove freedom panels with it installed? Can’t see how you would get to the latches with it installed since it appears to go over the roll bar. I understand the front ones would be accessible since the front flips up but the back ones appear to not be accessible.
Found this on FB

received_967398923424927.jpeg

Sponsored

Abilene

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sport, 2016 JK Sahara, 2018 JL Rubicon
Dubeau, this is Mike from JTops we will be posting new pics and a video next week on how to acces all the latches and putting the top on and off. We sepent a lot of time testing and retesting to make sure we got this right! The front windhild mount is incredibly easy to use and the back latches are just simple. Watch for the video next week! Here is a quick pic of the front. We will start posting more and are now a sponsor of this great forum!

83B64668-4278-4404-8544-878F08BBE3DE.jpeg

Tar Heel Wrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys Sport, JT Mojave, Sold JLU Sport S
Occupation
Cigar & IPA Snob
Did JTops just have a price increase from $199 to $239?

Dubeau9005

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, 2010 GMC Sierra 1500
Dubeau, this is Mike from JTops we will be posting new pics and a video next week on how to acces all the latches and putting the top on and off. We sepent a lot of time testing and retesting to make sure we got this right! The front windhild mount is incredibly easy to use and the back latches are just simple. Watch for the video next week! Here is a quick pic of the front. We will start posting more and are now a sponsor of this great forum!

83B64668-4278-4404-8544-878F08BBE3DE.jpeg
Thanks for the info. Looking forward to the video and will most likely be going with this top once my JLU actually comes in. Love the look of it from what I have seen so far.

Abilene

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sport, 2016 JK Sahara, 2018 JL Rubicon
Did JTops just have a price increase from $199 to $239?
This is Mike from JTops. The price for the new JL went up $40 due to the new magnetic windshield mount and the additional manufacturing time. We were able to reduce the cost of shipping from $26 to $10 bucks becaus the box length meets the new UPS under 48” surcharge limit. Our Jk is still the same price but the box is 60 inches so we have a $12.50 surcharge they add on that makes the shipping $26.
The JL is significatly longer in it’s manufacting time since it is contoured to the roll cage and incorporates 4 additional commercial grade N52 Neodymium magnets. Made in the USA comes at a price and we pay livable wages to our team who sews everything!

09AAF40C-4718-4711-ABDB-A3C67290C996.jpeg

Malve

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU, 2012 QX56
Occupation
CEO
This is Mike from JTops. The price for the new JL went up $40 due to the new magnetic windshield mount and the additional manufacturing time. We were able to reduce the cost of shipping from $26 to $10 bucks becaus the box length meets the new UPS under 48” surcharge limit. Our Jk is still the same price but the box is 60 inches so we have a $12.50 surcharge they add on that makes the shipping $26.
The JL is significatly longer in it’s manufacting time since it is contoured to the roll cage and incorporates 4 additional commercial grade N52 Neodymium magnets. Made in the USA comes at a price and we pay livable wages to our team who sews everything!

09AAF40C-4718-4711-ABDB-A3C67290C996.jpeg

I am comfortable paying a reasonable premium for a company that takes pride in paying their employees fairly. Thank you for that.

My intention is to run topless most of the time but it would be nice to take shelter from the So Cal sun when I end up stuck for long periods. Would keeping the shade in the back and "throwing it on" occasionally be realistic?
To that end, what would it look like "down and stored"?
And
Roughly how many minutes to install once you get the hang of it?

Lastly, would it help at all in light rain?

Thanks
Sponsored