Summer Hard-Top Storage?

OregonJeepGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS Sting Gray
Occupation
Old retired guy
My solution for a small garage. Right now my Bestop Trektop is wintering over on my little rack. I have a Harken Hoist waiting for install. When it comes time to switch (soon I hope), the Bestop will come down to warm up in the sun, the wooden rack will be set aside, and the hardtop will be Harkened up. Then the rack will be ratcheted back up to take the weight of the top, and the freedom panels will sit inside, on the rack, in their bag. Everything up and out of the way. At least that’s how I see it now. LOL.
DCD788CD-154D-4256-98E2-E14866AE055C.jpeg
Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Seeking advice for hard-top storage solutions best for long(er) term storage.

I bought the dual top option with the plan to swap twice a year based on our Midwest seasons.

My original plan had been to build a full shelf that I can hoist (manual or electric?) in the garage, large enough for the freedom panels to sit under the top and to hold the soft-top in the winters. I did not want to build a hoist with the hooks with concern of leaving the top with only 4 pressure points for months on end.

Another option is a cart solution similar to this (https://www.quadratec.com/products/12020_411_07.htm). Again though, I am concerned about putting pressure only on the back for months on end rather than the natural bottom of the hard-top.

Thoughts? I am running out of time before swapping the tops and unboxing my soft top.
Hey Austin:

While neither of these ideas represent the easiest of solutions to your problem, I thought I'd throw them out there just for kicks.

Particular for apartment dwellers there's splitting the hard top into 4 modular sections that fit under a bed:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/hardtop-summer-storage.44894/#post-988854

or alternatively, because I dabble in woodwork, I as thinking of making a coffee table whose insides perfectly incapsulate a hard top.

Sure, it might be too big a coffee table for some living rooms...and definitely a 4 handed operation to move the hard top in and out of the living room! ;)

Cheers.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
I have a large footprint in my basement but low ceilings, so I just put it on a plastic folding table in a corner for the 3/4 of the year. Third year doing it now and no issues

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Here’s a pic of the Top Lift Pro in action if this helps.

6A115E81-C658-415E-91F9-214AA8F8AD3E.jpeg
So Steve:

If I get the gist of it, the only difference between the clearance of putting your JL into your garage with, or without the Top Lift Pro is about the outer diameter of the vertical section of the pipe between the back wall and front bumper--about an 1" or so...is that right?

Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
So Steve:

If I get the gist of it, the only difference between the clearance of putting your JL into your garage with, or without the Top Lift Pro is about the outer diameter of the vertical section of the pipe between the back wall and front bumper--about an 1" or so...is that right?
Yes sir Andy, push the lift up to the wall, lock the wheels and you can pull your Jeep about 2” from the wall. You can also put your freedom panels in the bag and store them on your hard top.

paffemt

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Here’s a pic of the Top Lift Pro in action if this helps.

6A115E81-C658-415E-91F9-214AA8F8AD3E.jpeg
How old is your top lift? My support rails have threaded support rail bumpers that I extend to support the front of the roof. Did you modify yours?

me109stock

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 6-Speed Manual; 2008 Ford F450; 2003 Porsche Boxster S
Vehicle Showcase
I just bought a 6ft scaffolding. I like how the top sits flat on its bottom instead of its back end also, and gives you more storage room for things under the top and under the shelf. It really depends on how much room you have. Our garage ceiling already has some overhead hanging shelves, and I didn't want to install a hoist up there too. However, it is a 2-person job to remove the top, unlike the hoist.

Seen here...
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ardtop-storage-and-removal-works-great.29016/
I saw the same thing in another thread and happened to have three sets in my garage that I had purchased for a project at $150 each through Online Walmart. It's just wide enough to park the front end of my Porsche Boxster under it. Right now I have other stuff stored on it, but will be putting my hard to on it in another month or so when the weather is good enough to go topless for the rest of the spring/summer.

chilly_one

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara; Granite Metallic
I built a hoist with a trailer winch, a lifting strap, steel cabling, and Topsy hooks. Whole thing was probably $120. Works great.

9FD37FE1-9583-4CD4-848F-158922BF485D.jpeg

5F62EB86-BFD6-4B5E-ACD3-4D2FD32F31C6.jpeg

47E97E03-45EB-47B0-B6E3-C5A031038C3A.jpeg

TJ PL MN

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLUR. 2016 Acura MDX
Seeking advice for hard-top storage solutions best for long(er) term storage.

I bought the dual top option with the plan to swap twice a year based on our Midwest seasons.

My original plan had been to build a full shelf that I can hoist (manual or electric?) in the garage, large enough for the freedom panels to sit under the top and to hold the soft-top in the winters. I did not want to build a hoist with the hooks with concern of leaving the top with only 4 pressure points for months on end.

Another option is a cart solution similar to this (https://www.quadratec.com/products/12020_411_07.htm). Again though, I am concerned about putting pressure only on the back for months on end rather than the natural bottom of the hard-top.

Thoughts? I am running out of time before swapping the tops and unboxing my soft top.

I like Topsy hard top hinge on back window bracket with simple Eye bolts in ceiling. Back Jeep into garage and hoist with cargo cinching straps.
When top is raised after backing in. Drive under forward each day with hood under.
I also like the door storage rack they have. I do not use engine mount but have mine permanently fixed on my wall
Hope this helps

Sponsored

Trollboogie

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Hellayella, 2021 Mojave, 2006 GTO
Occupation
Machinist
I do the same...... Take it off with my Top lift pro and leave it there until I'm ready to put it back. I haven't had any issues. It doesn't even leave marks in the headliner panels.

Steevr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon, 2015 F-150 Platinum
Dual tops here in the Chicago area. Installed the Racor hoist in my garage and use the Topsy brackets on the back of the hardtop. Easy/peasy. I use the built in rack on the Racor in the winter to store the soft top in it's storage bag, the plastic windows in their original box and the Freedom Top bag. Highly recommend it.

agpthng

First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU
Scaffold works very well in the garage and Bride can park under it with zero issues. Wheels around smooth and top sits solid with minimal rocking unsecured.

750E7AC4-4C61-4E5F-883D-4E2377F5CF7F.jpeg

BC3230FD-CC29-4CA3-BA26-BE97B4FC4A06.jpeg
I like this it could also work if you don't have a garage. We don't have a garage and store my hardtop on stacked pallets in the back yard but it's not as high as this.

jamief

First Name
jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler unlimited sport s
I just mounted d rings in the ceiling and used ratchet straps... works great. I do have topsy brackets for the back window to mount it to, but haven't installed them yet.

20190923_160210.jpg

20190923_162202.jpg

Granizle

First Name
J.P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Wrangler Sport JK, 2007 Wrangler Sahara JK
I think I spent $10 on this. Already had the straps and 2x4 kicking around ...

64523BB6-449E-48C9-B6FB-11B7ADF5F440.jpeg
Sponsored