Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
THIS^ is what happened to me while I was watching wife drive. Saw the deer left side of road just standing there, as we got too close to do anything, it head butted the side, $1,000 repair bill. My guess he was showing off for his friends "hey, look at the grey paint on my rack guys, cherokee"
I can one-up you on that. I was stopped at a stop light on a multi lane road, in the left turn lane. A kid on a bike wove through the stopped vehicles in the other lanes and ran headlong into the side of my truck. I jumped out to check on her. She jumped off the pavement and biked away at high speed. Go figure.
Sponsored

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
Deer are very thick in my area, but I've only hit one. I did have a wild turkey charge my right front tire, fatally for him. I also stopped to look at a badger, who attacked the left front tire. Had a fox try to climb in with me...that one I shot.
The US sounds scary! Australia is much safer 😀

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini '20 JL Freedom, '99 Dakota R/T, '97 Boxster
Keep that old top for it's fabric, might come in handy.

Sponsored

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

A couple years ago driving in NE Oregon through a canyon. Saw a deer cross the road in front of a pickup truck about a quarter mile in front of us. No one else in front of us. My beautiful and protective wife says, ‘SLOW DOWN’. I’m like what… but did sort of obey and slowed down some.

Then out of nowhere a couple of deer came from my right. Yep… a two deer pile up. First one hit my right front headlight, fender and the second one rear ended the first deer. Of course my wife was yelling at me as it was my fault (told you so) while I was laughing because the second deer rammed his (or her) head hard into the butt of the first one.

Dang though… because of covid and part shortages, my car was in the shop waiting for parts for almost two months! Did they get the last laugh? Somehow they walked away. So did we but we had a several thousand dollar repair bill mostly covered by insurance but dang!

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine
My hunter friends tell me how they sit in tree stands for hours in the hopes of seeing a deer to shoot at and how hard hunting is. I just tell them drive around my neighborhood at dusk and they can take one out with their car without even trying.
I count anywhere from 15-20 on my 2.5 mile drive home from work every night.

Reactions: AFD

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
Yesterday, I had a dear run in front of me…..well he won’t do that again.
Next time I see him….he will be on my kitchen table

538D3898-B0FF-4A75-80C0-55924DA2BA82.jpeg

Bill_P

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2023 JLUWSXR
Occupation
Can't tell you..shhh
I've hit 5 deer in the past two years. Ironically, they were all in two different spots about 30 yards apart on different days. Thankfully, only one did any damage. $4,000 to the front end of my Tundra. When I bought the truck I knew I would have a good chance of hitting deer because of the back ass country roads I have to travel to get to work, so I bout the only Westin grill guard I could find that didn't have a disclaimer that it wasn't intended for accident prevention. The thing has 2 inch steel tubes that go across the whole front of the truck. Deer ran right in front of me when I was doing 60, no time to react or even cuss. It cracked a little plastic trim piece on the bar and rolled under it. When it got to the actual metal of the truck, it bent the bumper back into the tire, which slammed back into the fender well and pushed the fender into the passenger door. My wife bitched at me for what I spent on that guard when I bought it, and when I showed her what that deer would have done without it she finally realized that it was a good buy.

Sponsored

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Years ago, while heading into town from our country home, I saw two things that gave me some alarm. An old sedan pulled off the road next to an eight point buck that was lying sternal on the side of the road, up against an oak tree. It was panting and had road rash on a rear leg.

A black man got out of the sedan wielding a claw hammer as I pulled off behind him. I got out of my truck and greeted him, and asked him what he was about to do.

”I’m fixin’ to git me some deer meat,” he replied.

”Sir, you’re fixin’ to get beat like a red-headed stepchild by that there buck, my friend. I’m just lookin’ out for you, sir. I’ve seen this movie before. It NEVER ends well.”

He nodded, made a good decision, got back in his car and left.

OP
OP
NJJeep Guy

NJJeep Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Yella JLU
I will probably look to repair and sell the top if I can do it. It was way faster to convince my insurance to simply reimburse me buying a new one from Jeep. Picking it up in a few hours once the temps outside get above freezing

whitechocolate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
Living in deer country as I do, and having "gone spotting" since my youth, there's a few observations, or lessons, that have been reliably consistent through the years.

First and foremost: If you see a single deer crossing the road in front of you, slow down and stay slowed down. The does in particular tend to travel together, averaging two to four adult animals. You might be in for an unpleasant surprise if you think it's safe to resume your regular speed after the first one safely crosses in front of you.

If you see a deer standing on the side of the road, expect them to stay still until you're close enough to hit them, at which point they may (a) continue standing still, (b) turn and run back into the woods or field, or (c) run out in front of your vehicle, particularly if your headlights are on and/or it's dusk. Said differently: Slow down, stay slowed down until you're safely past the deer, and expect the unexpected. Sometimes a horn works to rouse them from their apparent reverie. Sometimes, it doesn't.

Know when the deer start to run, so to speak, and remain extra vigilant behind the steering wheel. Locally, their seasonal movements begin in late Oct./early Nov., and continue into early Dec. when rifle season (which always begins on the Monday after Thanksgiving) has had its usual effect on average herd numbers. I ride at least one of my motorcycles year-round, but I usually leave the keys on the peg more so than usual during late Autumn. Time and experience has proven this to be the correct decision.

Finally, there's always the risk of a collision that we have no idea will occur until it occurs. I relay my own experience with this in the first paragraph in post #2. When that happens, there's nothing to do but react, and accept the functionally blameless nature of such events.

Stay frosty. :beer:
I was reading this thinking this person is from PA, my dad pounded those rules into all of us

Speed331

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jetta, 2018 Discovery Sport, 2020 Wrangler Sport S (on order)
Deer obviously have it in for Jeeps:

Kangaroo, on the other hand, dislike cyclists:

Rustynail11

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Tis the season, my 19 year old daughter had a deer strike in eastern Oklahoma Sunday night. She and her passenger are fine but the front end of her Mazda6 is a mess.
Sponsored