Deer whistle?

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
In a similar vein, if anyone knows any good deer CALLS, that would be great as well (deer hunt coming up in a couple weeks...)
Figure out a way to put headlights on a bullet. The deer will jump right in front of it.
Sponsored

Jtclayton612

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
On a more practical level...
This time of year the deer start the rut. Doe blee call can work pretty well. Or rattle some antlers, even the plastic kind can work, & use a grunt call. The bucks will think other bucks are fighting over a doe & come check things out. Doe will come around too if you can hunt them. You can here in TN with a permit & the doe are pretty tasty.

But, we have soooooo many deer around here it is ridiculous.
:like:
There’s a bunch that graze right across the street from me lol. About 15-20 and I just could nab any of them, don’t even react to people walking or cars

OP
OP
AZ Hella

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Well actually, if you add some lighting get flood light patterns. Not spot lights, ever heard of "the deer in the headlights look"? They will literally stop, right in front of you. Flood light pattern off the side of the road will help you spot them quicker & keeping your headlights on low beams.

You are correct though, those whistles do nothing! Definitely good to stay alert & be prepared to stop.
:rock:
I’m going with KC Flex Era 4’s mounted on the bumper angled out a bit. They should provide lots of useful light beyond the shoulders.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
You need to give credit to Ron White for that one.
Absolutely! I was gonna post the video, but I had to step out before I got a chance. It’s a great bit.

Sponsored

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
One dark am morning on I-15 south of Butte,Mt. I was following a 18 wheeler. Truck driver never touched the brakes and drove through a herd standing on the road. Horrible sight, there was a red mist in the cold night air and the smelled was like gutting a fresh kill. I'll never un-see or forget that Montana experience.
The triaxle and semi truck drivers around here never bother slowing down or trying to avoid them either. On my way home tonight I'm thinking, "why is the road all wet?" and realized I was driving over a few car-lengths puddle of blood and then meat chunks.

We're overpopulated anyway, but every few years an oncoming driver is either killed or severely injured when a large truck hits and bounces a deer through their windshield at 60MPH. I know some things can't always be avoided, but c'mon, they literally turned a guy into a vegetable because they couldn't be assed to pay attention to the road and at least try slowing down before a strike.

Chief_Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Stingray
There’s a bunch that graze right across the street from me lol. About 15-20 and I just could nab any of them, don’t even react to people walking or cars
I believe you! I'm in the Bartlett area & deer are everywhere out here. It is crazy. Sure hate to see them get hit though, kind of tragic & they can sure cause some damage & injuries, or worse. Especially as some have mentioned here, wow.

Stay safe everyone & Happy Thanksgiving!
:like:

Reactions: AFD

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gator Gladiator Sport S, '22 Gobi JLR
I bet if you get a low rumbling exhaust that sounds like a bear they'll stay the hell away. So the best deterrent I think is getting a 392 and flooring it thru deer country. YMMV.

Gripster

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2D
I wonder how well a steel bumper with welded hoop would survive. The Aussies seem to all have a steel bumper for their Kangaroo problems.

cornercanyon

First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
. . . realizing each day–
Here in the Texas hill country a steel bumper and loop is the best defense against deer damage; except when they try to jump over and land on the windshield. =/
Sponsored