Sponsored

For You, My Deer

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
I'm looking for some insight and ideas (and your photos if applicable :) on the best bumper w/ bar config for my use...

I have a 2020 Sahara Unlimited.

Every weekend I find myself out, deep in the forest and mountains of BC on FSRs. So far, some of these are 40 miles in length - and at times they are wide open, smooth gravel roads with very good line of sight and the speed can creep up there at times.

All is under control, except for the forest on the sides part. And that wild animals live in the forests lol.

I have the stock plastic bumper - and I 'd like a bumper with a bull bar (?) config that will help me if a deer jumps out on to the road and there is no time to stop or avoid it. Honestly where I live I've already seen Elk and Grizzlies - but let's just start with deflecting deer away from my windshield.

I'd like something that will allow me to use my stock LED fog lights, and maybe have the option for a winch one day - but - that is not necessary in this decision right now.

Thanks for sharing!
Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I like L.O.D products, https://lodoffroad.com/products/jeep/2018-jeep-jl-products/front-bumpers.html, but they mostly just have a hoop. For a full grill guard check out the major parts houses like Quadratec, Morris 4x4, Northridge, extreme terrain, 4WP, etc. Not sure if you have any sensors in your stock bumper (safety package stuff), but it's something to consider when buying.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I actually do have to check under the hood of my daughter's SUV in the morning. When the cold arrives for good, there's at least one or two neighborhood cats that take shelter in the engine bay overnight. There are telltale paw prints on the plastic valve cover trim. They reliably reappear within a day, no more than two, after I wipe the cover clean.

If the motion sensor on my Ring doorbell camera is filming the actual culprits, it's a slender orange tabby and a chunky calico. :camera:

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I actually do have to check under the hood of my daughter's SUV in the morning. When the cold arrives for good, there's at least one or two neighborhood cats that take shelter in the engine bay overnight. There are telltale paw prints on the plastic valve cover trim. They reliably reappear within a day, no more than two, after I wipe the cover clean.

If the motion sensor on my Ring doorbell camera is filming the actual culprits, it's a slender orange tabby and a chunky calico. :camera:
And you know they are doing dirty smelly cat things in there! It doesn't get that cold here, but I do have one that like to sleep on my hood solar panel and leaves paw prints on it. I haven't seen that one in awhile though, I think it got tired of waking up to an ice cold garden hose shower.

Sponsored

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

Second @lodoffroad, and if you’re looking Canadian, TMR off road has a great bumper. It’s super stout, but only comes bare metal. They are out of Newmarket. Shipping to BC is likely similar, price wise. Import duties are the big hang up right now.

I’m waiting on the border opening to head to my US residence and partner so I can pick up the LOD kit. Have a look at their AL sliders too - good for us Canadians as it won’t rust.

OP
OP
McGilli

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure if you have any sensors in your stock bumper (safety package stuff), but it's something to consider when buying.
This i something I didn't think about... My Wrangler has all that safety stuff in it like the FCW Front Collision Warning - but isn't that up in the electronics box attached to the rear view mirror?

DOES ANYBODY KNOW - if there are any sensors in the stock plastic bumper? Any videos I've seen on bumper removal only talk about the fog lights... Would like to be sure :)

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
This i something I didn't think about... My Wrangler has all that safety stuff in it like the FCW Front Collision Warning - but isn't that up in the electronics box attached to the rear view mirror?

DOES ANYBODY KNOW - if there are any sensors in the stock plastic bumper? Any videos I've seen on bumper removal only talk about the fog lights... Would like to be sure :)
I don't have that stuff so i'm not sure, better to know before you buy for sure.

JoeBelt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

Think of it this way - if safety gear were in the stock plastic bumper - it would have to be replicated in the stock metal bumper. I'm going to say no - there are no sensors in the front bumper. All the safety stuff is in the big plastic box where the rear view mirror is located as well as the rear lights. The rear bumper does have sensors.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly where I live I've already seen Elk and Grizzlies -

Elk and grizzlies in Richmond...?

Can I have some of that...? :LOL:

Sponsored

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

No sensors in the front bumper that I’m aware of.

OP
OP
McGilli

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Elk and grizzlies in Richmond...?

Can I have some of that...? :LOL:
Thankfully I do need to drive out of Richmond to get to them LOL

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link

nope

PA-Punkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR, 2012 BMW 328 Wagon, 2002 BMW 330 Cabrio
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
I've been bumper window shopping too and have similar requirements. One thing I noticed is there are a few ways bull bars are attached to the bumper - bolt on, single welded tube, and even double welded tubes. I'm opting for a single welded tube setup, right now this one is my frontrunner. Also consider steel vs aluminum, price and weight at opposition (I can't speak to strength and durability differences however)

https://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-90248.htm
Sponsored