Sponsored

Straps in Sunrider Position - Anyone Use them?

XAMfed

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Hello everyone! Quick newbie question. I just got my JLU on Friday, and I was watching the videos. The one for the top operation says to use the included velcro straps to secure the top in Sunrider position. Is that necessary? Is there really any possibility of the top popping up/slamming down at highway speeds if you don't? Just curious if I need to secure it in that position....

Thanks in advance!
I havenā€™t used them yet.

The thing you NEED to do is head up to the mountains and drive on some easy trails. It will make you appreciate your Jeep even more. Also the doors need to come off at least once

Cheers from Roswell
Sponsored

KingCon

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon jl
The 18ā€™s didnā€™t even come with the straps, well at least mine didnā€™t and Iā€™m perfectly fine, albeit I prefer Safari Mode though :)

Welcome to the forum!
Came with mine...just opened the box and installed today.

Maybe you didnt see the straps and tossed them by accident?

OP
OP
jz19

jz19

First Name
JZ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Sahara JLU in Bikini
Yes, @XAMfed ! I would LOVE a light, easy trail at some point. And the doors MUST come off once - though not on 285. These ATL drivers are NUTS!

For the wheeling, I'm just not going to be crawling significantly difficult trails anytime, but I think it'd be fun to take her on an easy trail with as near zero chance of damage as possible - lol. I'd love to get to know what my rig can do, and test out some of the features I ordered for the "just in case" scenarios."

Where in GA do you recommend for a super-total-Newbie? I'd love to find out!

XAMfed

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Yes, @XAMfed ! I would LOVE a light, easy trail at some point. And the doors MUST come off once - though not on 285. These ATL drivers are NUTS!

For the wheeling, I'm just not going to be crawling significantly difficult trails anytime, but I think it'd be fun to take her on an easy trail with as near zero chance of damage as possible - lol. I'd love to get to know what my rig can do, and test out some of the features I ordered for the "just in case" scenarios."

Where in GA do you recommend for a super-total-Newbie? I'd love to find out!
My doors are off on the highway a lot, the door will only protect you from flying debris, I totally get why not wanting to take them off though, GA drivers are idiots.

There are lots of forest service roads up north that are nice and easy. That is what I was suggesting. Look up tray mountain. Easy trail, with a great view

XAMfed

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
If you want a guide on some trails, let me know. My JL hasnā€™t seen trails yet either

Sponsored

OP
OP
jz19

jz19

First Name
JZ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Sahara JLU in Bikini
If you want a guide on some trails, let me know. My JL hasnā€™t seen trails yet either
That would be awesome! I'm working on protecting my interior (just ordered seat covers, need to install my all weather floor mats, etc.). After that, I'd be game for a super light, easy trail, and a guide would be nice. Let's stay in touch. :fist bump:

RichD

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
I've never used them, never a problem, but I guess it couldn't hurt. I'll try on my next highway trip to see if it makes a diff. To me, the top sits pretty tight in the SR position.

brow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black JLU
O you mean these things that I've never opened? Lol nope. I get lots of wind here in flat Ohio farm country and (so far) have never had any issues. But I'll carry them in the cargo bin just in case :like:

IMG_20190508_063806044.jpg
I've been using the velcro - why not, peace of mind just in case and doesn't take long to put on.
But love the idea of using them to make seat belts stop flapping when top down lol.

The picture in the post shows a couple straps with what appears metal buttons on them - these aren't the velcro straps and I have no clue what to do with them? Anyone know? Thanks!

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
I've been using the velcro - why not, peace of mind just in case and doesn't take long to put on.
But love the idea of using them to make seat belts stop flapping when top down lol.

The picture in the post shows a couple straps with what appears metal buttons on them - these aren't the velcro straps and I have no clue what to do with them? Anyone know? Thanks!
They were used to roll up and hold the back window on JKs. They're useless for JLs, apparently someone didn't get the memo to stop including them.

Greenjeepthing

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport Mojito
Occupation
Retired Automotive Service Manager
I used the enclosed straps to secure the rear shoulder harnesses from flapping. Soon if the weather every breaks will use them to hold windshield down. Hold it in sunrider? Never had an issue. Keep Jeepin.

Sponsored

YerMaun

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUS, '15 JGC SRT, '11 R8 V10, '05 Mustang GT
I used the straps first couple of weeks in Sunrider position. Since then, no not really. Just flip it back and drive, never had any issue. Normal airflow is holding it down. Can't imagine a wind strong enough to lift it.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
I donā€™t use them for the sunrider position. I do use them to strap the top to itself when the top is down so it doesnā€™t bounce around. The locks only hold down the back half of the top.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
ā€˜Merica
EDIT: ā€œNo. That defeats the utility of tossing it back at a stop light or stop sign, or right before pulling out of a parking space. Also, if installed correctly, the Sunrider doesnā€™t touch back onto the hardtop. Not an issue.ā€ā€”this applies to the Sunrider for hardtop. For the softtop in Sunrider position, I donā€™t do that. I just put the entire top down. Why only go halfway?

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
EDIT: ā€œNo. That defeats the utility of tossing it back at a stop light or stop sign, or right before pulling out of a parking space. Also, if installed correctly, the Sunrider doesnā€™t touch back onto the hardtop. Not an issue.ā€ā€”this applies to the Sunrider for hardtop. For the softtop in Sunrider position, I donā€™t do that. I just put the entire top down. Why only go halfway?
It beats taking all the windows out first and the visibility out the back is actually better with the top up. With sunrider open and back windows out you canā€™t really tell the top is on at all from the drivers seat. Folded all the way down looks better but doesnā€™t really feel anymore open and it blocks the view out the back.
Sponsored