Banned
Banned
First Name
Amaral
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
Sometimes. For example, the Tazer JL aftermarket product shows us that having audible alarms when opening the hood while the vehicle is armed is purely a software setting. So you're not alone in your sentiments. You'd think that with less restriction than most other vehicles to under hood components more valuable than most other vehicle's that this would have been a factory setting. But...FCA doesn't have to (see below.)

Again I agree. FWIW, there's a post here on how to do this yourself (I suspect without door based safety pressure sensors), which isn't trivial IMHO and doesn't address your question as to why such a feature wasn't standard for those (the majority of) Wrangler owners who have power windows.

I suspect when FCA made these decisions they factored in the cost of the extra parts, the legal claims of those who get injured nonetheless despite sensors when the window goes up, the degree to which such features weren't worth it to add to the cost--or worse disenfranchise loyalists who think "doors," let alone power windows in them, sell the Wrangler brand short--and other factors I haven't considered.

FCA is in a unique position to be able to shrug their shoulders and say, at least on the Wrangler, "if the owners want it bad enough they'll event solutions and product to do so."

Again, I'm with you. But I think the more "to point" question to ask here, looking at this as purely a business decision is "why add a feature that isn't going to generate more sales on an already sought after vehicle?"

As I'm sure you appreciate, that 2007 VW you refer to had competition in its market space far greater than that the Wrangler does. And if that VW doesn't have (an example that may not be true) "dual climate zones" and a competitor did, it might matter to the consumer more to buy another brand.

We all like to think that FCA is loyal to its base and it is; but as a means to a loftier goal: profit. Its executives are duty bound to maximize shareholder profit. You I suspect already know this: I don't mean hard feelings from pointing out the obvious.

That I wish those shareholders were solely vehicle owners.....another debate.

I suspect because the bean counters felt not having this would affect sales less than not having some other feature. I suspect those same bean counter's figures (right or wrong) suggested that of the % of owners polled that would want this feature, they would want to pay less for it than FCA wanted to charge. And I suspect that execs considered the fact that someone could always devise and publish or sell a hack to do this more elegantly than how its implemented from the factory on other vehicles.

Sigh..the rules are different when it comes to Wranglers given the historically high degree of customization, ingenuity, and perseverance of its owners do to things often as well or better than the factory could compared to many other vehicles, and the vehicles uniqueness in its product space.

Sure, as do all of those who posted before me with very good ones. If the Wrangler ever gets some really good competition: and the greatest new competitor that's 75% its price still won't have its aftermarket, then Wrangler execs I suspect will need to think differently. It may help to appreciate that FCA execs make these decisions to maximize overall profit of the line, which sometimes doesn't coincide with your or my specific needs, or that they sometimes "get it wrong."

Sometimes they just put off features to the next model: adjustable speed cruise control.

Yes and yes. : - )

~~~~~~~~~~~
⬆⬆⬆This is what happens when Honda owners start buying Jeeps

:facepalm:
Sponsored

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
I wish the key fobs had some ridges on the buttons to help find the lock/unlock button in your pocket without having to look at the buttons. You know, the little Braille-like nubs so you know your thumb in on the unlock instead of the panic button.

I’m sick of looking at the fob every time.
The shape of the fob does that. One end has that angle. I never even take it out of my pocket. Once I feel which is the top edge of the fob, it’s easy to know which button is which.

OP
OP

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
Should've also made a proximity auto start feature, wont have to push that stupid little button anymore!!
I know this comment is tongue in cheek, but that would actually be pretty cool. For example, you phone (if you have Android) knows your routine. It knows you leave to work about the same time every day and so it serves up some traffic info or lets you know it's going to rain. Pretty sure your Jeep could also know that he starts up at the same time every morning once you open the door. If the Jeep already knows it going to leave, then it could just start itself up and maybe adjust all the settings you normally set in the morning. Radio station, heated seats and whatever. I could imagine this will happen in the not too far off future.

Sponsored

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
Sometimes. For example, the Tazer JL aftermarket product shows us that having audible alarms when opening the hood while the vehicle is armed is purely a software setting. So you're not alone in your sentiments. You'd think that with less restriction than most other vehicles to under hood components more valuable than most other vehicle's that this would have been a factory setting. But...FCA doesn't have to (see below.)

Again I agree. FWIW, there's a post here on how to do this yourself (I suspect without door based safety pressure sensors), which isn't trivial IMHO and doesn't address your question as to why such a feature wasn't standard for those (the majority of) Wrangler owners who have power windows.

I suspect when FCA made these decisions they factored in the cost of the extra parts, the legal claims of those who get injured nonetheless despite sensors when the window goes up, the degree to which such features weren't worth it to add to the cost--or worse disenfranchise loyalists who think "doors," let alone power windows in them, sell the Wrangler brand short--and other factors I haven't considered.

FCA is in a unique position to be able to shrug their shoulders and say, at least on the Wrangler, "if the owners want it bad enough they'll event solutions and product to do so."

Again, I'm with you. But I think the more "to point" question to ask here, looking at this as purely a business decision is "why add a feature that isn't going to generate more sales on an already sought after vehicle?"

As I'm sure you appreciate, that 2007 VW you refer to had competition in its market space far greater than that the Wrangler does. And if that VW doesn't have (an example that may not be true) "dual climate zones" and a competitor did, it might matter to the consumer more to buy another brand.

We all like to think that FCA is loyal to its base and it is; but as a means to a loftier goal: profit. Its executives are duty bound to maximize shareholder profit. You I suspect already know this: I don't mean hard feelings from pointing out the obvious.

That I wish those shareholders were solely vehicle owners.....another debate.

I suspect because the bean counters felt not having this would affect sales less than not having some other feature. I suspect those same bean counter's figures (right or wrong) suggested that of the % of owners polled that would want this feature, they would want to pay less for it than FCA wanted to charge. And I suspect that execs considered the fact that someone could always devise and publish or sell a hack to do this more elegantly than how its implemented from the factory on other vehicles.

Sigh..the rules are different when it comes to Wranglers given the historically high degree of customization, ingenuity, and perseverance of its owners do to things often as well or better than the factory could compared to many other vehicles, and the vehicles uniqueness in its product space.

Sure, as do all of those who posted before me with very good ones. If the Wrangler ever gets some really good competition: and the greatest new competitor that's 75% its price still won't have its aftermarket, then Wrangler execs I suspect will need to think differently. It may help to appreciate that FCA execs make these decisions to maximize overall profit of the line, which sometimes doesn't coincide with your or my specific needs, or that they sometimes "get it wrong."

Sometimes they just put off features to the next model: adjustable speed cruise control.

Yes and yes. : - )

~~~~~~~~~~~
Having owned FCA products for years I know better than to give them credit for having a reason for everything they included or left out.

Example, my JK was the first year they included a power dimming mirror with Rubicons, yet Homelink was inexplicably left out. Homelink is cheap, and having a vehicle with no doors, it would be nice to have a garage door opener that is unpowered with the engine not running (they included this on the JL). The power dimming mirror on the other hand is useless. I’m sitting higher than most headlights, I have a tinted rear window, and a tire in the way. Don’t waste money on a standard power dimming mirror when there are so many better uses for that budget.

jayteal

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon; 2018 JLUR; 2004 TJ
Only thing I would like to see is a front camera like our Raptor has. I use it quite a bit in everything from parking to manuevering in tigh spaces
+1 on this. Would love it when offroading and I'm not buying a Gladiator to get the option.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
+1 on this. Would love it when offroading and I'm not buying a Gladiator to get the option.
It can be added. There is a writeup here on the forum if you dig around.

Sponsored

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Having owned FCA products for years I know better than to give them credit for having a reason for everything they included or left out.

Example, my JK was the first year they included a power dimming mirror with Rubicons, yet Homelink was inexplicably left out. Homelink is cheap, and having a vehicle with no doors, it would be nice to have a garage door opener that is unpowered with the engine not running (they included this on the JL). The power dimming mirror on the other hand is useless. I’m sitting higher than most headlights, I have a tinted rear window, and a tire in the way. Don’t waste money on a standard power dimming mirror when there are so many better uses for that budget.
Agreed. Like I said, sometimes they get it wrong, either because their data is wrong, or correct but analyzed wrong, or no analysis is done at all and they incorrectly wing it.

But appreciate that they're looking at tiny details because across thousands of JLs, it adds up.