Strange outside temp readings

linuxos77

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
Super strange question, but we've noticed the outside temp reading on our Wrangler seems to be starting out real high (like 100+), before fairly quickly dropping down to the actual outside temperature, often times the temp being 20-30 degrees cooler. Our Wrangler is parked in the garage out of the sun, and the temp is no where near 100 when parked, so it's not a left over reading.

To add even more to the strangeness our Renegade is doing the exact same thing, this one isn't parked in the garage but in the shade in the driveway. Both seemed to have started doing this fairly recently. Any reason why our temp readings seems to start high now? Neither Jeep is running hot, everything seems normal otherwise.
Sponsored

ParadigmDawg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon X, 2023 Rubicon 392
Clubs

My TRX does the same thing. I haven't paid attention to it on the new Jeep

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Any reason why our temp readings seems to start high now?
No particular reason. It is the way the system works. You need to drive for a few moments for the sensor to actually start working. I've seen the same on my previous JKU, on my current JLU and on my wife's previous Grand Cherokee.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
I've had mine read 99F several times when it was only less than 80F outside and I was parked in the shade under a carport.

Really not sure what causes the anomaly and my last car from another manufacturer often did the exact same thing on warmer days. After starting up and driving off, it eventually changes to the correct outside temp usually within a few seconds, but sometimes can take up to a minute or two.

OP
OP

linuxos77

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
Thanks all, wasn't too worried abut it, just never noticed it until recently, then randomly the wife brought it up this morning that she just noticed it so I figure it was a new phenomenon for our Jeeps, but who knows???

Sponsored

KevinBoston

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler
Same here. Very high temps when you first start the Jeep.
2024 Jeep JL

JeepFiend

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Rubicon 2 Door, 2011 Ford F-150 STX
Occupation
System Administrator
Heh, last night mine was reading 147* at start up, and it was nowhere near that....I mean, it felt like 147, but really, it was only like 102. :D

gl420

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2.0T
Clubs

I think from what I've gathered on here from prior threads about this is that the electronics, and in turn temp sensor, stay active for a while after you lock your Jeep.
The temp sensor then picks up all of the heat from your parked Jeep and stores whatever final temperature it reads in memory, which is what you see when you first start it.

My '19 does this as well, and like you said, it starts reading again correctly pretty quickly once you start driving.

The only annoying part about this that I've noticed is that it prevents my heated steering wheel and seats from automatically turning on when remote starting in the winter, as that needs to be below 40F degrees to activate.

Ang1Sgt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys 2 door, 2020 Subaru Outback,
Occupation
Retired X2
Vehicle Showcase
The sensor is basically getting heat soaked before it shut down. As you drive it will come back to the normal temp. Every car I’ve had that has an outside temp indicator has done this. It’s just not a Jeep thing for sure.

Obi Wan

First Name
Obi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
starwars.fandom.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU SPORT S 2.0, 2004 TJ SPORT 5.3LS
Occupation
Jedi Knight
Your Wrangler and Renegade are conspiring against you to see if you notice. Next they'll swap their tire pressure and fuel level values.

Jeep Wrangler JL Strange outside temp readings 1693853919814
Sponsored