Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
Hey all,
My son and I replaced both batteries on my wife's '18 JLUS (3.6/auto) this afternoon. We got 3 years on the OEM batteries, so before we take some road trips this summer, we figured it would be cheap insurance. While we were out on the test drive, I figured I would check the Stop/Start screen in the dash to see if there were any messages about battery charging or if the system was ready. We found it has no information at all - even when the system activates, the green A will light up, but there is no message. I also hit the Stop/Start button off, and it didn't tell me the system was active or deactivated.

Anyone have an idea where we should look next?
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
The Fixer

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
Here's a few pics for reference -
On this screen we can see the voltage display works just fine, and ESS is engaged.

Jeep Wrangler JL Stop/Start Screen BLANK - No Messages? IMG_3927.JPG

Here you can see it's in Drive, so I should have a message saying "Stop/Start Unavailable, Driver Seat Unbuckled" or something like that.

Jeep Wrangler JL Stop/Start Screen BLANK - No Messages? IMG_3928.JPG

This one's a little blurry, but you can see ESS is engaged, and no message in the display.

Jeep Wrangler JL Stop/Start Screen BLANK - No Messages? IMG_3926.JPG

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@The Fixer

Knowing nothing about how you did the deed in regard to the change out of your Main and Aux batteries, I am hesitant to speculate .....

I am curious though....how you addressed your IBS Sensor and are you aware how it affects things lets say... and what you are seeing on your voltage display right now... and how your ESS behaves today.

For info in regard to the sensor:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/ibs-clear-reset.67955/

OP
OP
The Fixer

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
@The Fixer

Knowing nothing about how you did the deed in regard to the change out of your Main and Aux batteries, I am hesitant to speculate .....

I am curious though....how you addressed your IBS Sensor and are you aware how it affects things lets say... and what you are seeing on your voltage display right now... and how your ESS behaves today.

For info in regard to the sensor:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/ibs-clear-reset.67955/
Hi @Rhinebeck01,
Thanks for looking at this thread - you were one I hoped would respond. :) We did not do anything to the IBS itself. I read through many of the threads just so I could familiarize myself with the flare removal and isolating the ESS battery so I could try starting with it disconnected. Her JLUS is a May of '18 build. It did produce a no-start on the first attempt, then start on the second attempt along with the expected ESS error so the PCM has a current update. Once I verified that, we set out to R&R the batteries.

Our procedure was to separate the ground from the ESS battery from the main battery harness, set them both aside, then remove the + terminal and removed the battery. While the main battery was out, we removed the fender flare (only broke 2 clips!), then pulled the case with the ESS battery. I will mention there was a tiny spark when my son accidentally hit the - terminal post with the wrench while removing the + lead, but I don't ~think~ that could have done anything since the main battery was out and the grounds were separated up top.

We then installed the new ESS battery, followed by the main battery.

So far, the ESS system seems to operate as designed - it is activating at the proper times, restarting the engine without a hiccup, and the ESS override button also lights up and does its thing. The only thing we are not seeing are the messages related to the Start/Stop system in the display.

I know it used to display different messages - I had seen several times over the winter that it was too cold, another message for steering wheel turned too far, etc., but occasionally that screen would be blank like it is now.

Is the blank screen caused by the IBS reset? So it will have to go through several overnight cycles as mentioned in your other thread?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@The Fixer

Can I say I don't know for sure..... 8-)

I have done the change out of Main and Aux batteries on a bunch of JL's. To be honest, I change them out and the owner drives the JL away...

I had one guy call me up and report as you, that ESS messages had gone missing.... I told him give it a week of using the JL as I had cleared IBS with 12v power kill, yada yada.. I never heard back from him so guess all went back to normal lets say.

So, with that said... all you did was swap out 2 batteries and in the process reset the IBS.... and you report all seems aok except the MIA, ESS messages... Don't be concerned and give it a week... My guess is, in a few days, all will be/ you will be seeing.... as you remembered it was before you did the battery(s) change out.

Oh, as for your May 2018 behaving as it did in regard to starting on the 2nd try.... Somewhere since your JL left the factory in May 2018, the pcm was updated so it behaves as it does. I know my JL's build date was 5/5/18 and I had to have it updated/had it updated so mine behaves as yours does.

In closing, good you got the 2 batteries changed out. Smart move on your part!.... Flare pull is easy easy... glad you were not put off by it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
The Fixer

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
@The Fixer

Can I say I don't know for sure..... 8-)
LOL!

I have done the change out of Main and Aux batteries on a bunch of JL's. To be honest, I change them out and the owner drives the JL away...

I had one guy call me up and report as you, that ESS messages had gone missing.... I told him give it a week of using the JL as I had cleared IBS with 12v power kill, yada yada.. I never heard back from him so guess all went back to normal lets say.

So, with that said... all you did was swap out 2 batteries and in the process reset the IBS.... and you report all seems aok except the MIA, ESS messages... Don't be concerned and give it a week... My guess is, in a few days, all will be/ you will be seeing.... as you remembered it was before you did the battery(s) change out.
Ah, that makes me feel a little better for sure.

Oh, as for your May 2018 behaving as it did in regard to starting on the 2nd try.... Somewhere since your JL left the factory in May 2018, the pcm was updated so it behaves as it does. I know my JL's build date was 5/5/18 and I had to have it updated/had it updated so mine behaves as yours does.
Yes, we got a notification a few months into ownership that her JLUS was part of the U62 recall for cruise control, so we brought it back to the dealer in December of 2018 for a PCM update.

In closing, good you got the 2 batteries changed out. Smart move on your part!.... Flare pull is easy easy... glad you were not put off by it.
Thanks! We've tackled much worse, so pulling the flare wasn't too bad. :) I'm glad we changed the batteries as well; kinda surprised we got 3 years out of both, since many owners have had the OEM batteries tank out in two years or less!

I'll update in a few days if there's any change in the Stop/Start screen. Thanks again @Rhinebeck01 !!

OP
OP
The Fixer

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
UPDATE 7/15

We've been driving the Jeep a bunch - took it up to VT for a few days this week and spent a lot of time on the road, adding 1,000 miles since the battery install a week ago.

So far, the Start/Stop display is still intermittent - sometimes messages will be there (all normal ones, like Active, Engine Temp Too Low, etc.), but on most drive cycles the screen is still blank. If anyone has a suggestion on where the Start/Stop screen gets its information from, I'd love to hear about it!

Battery voltage in the dash is showing 12.8v-13.0v steadily now. Previously, it was running in the 14.x range. From studying the various battery threads, I can assume this is because the OEM batteries were ready to be changed, and I'm glad we did them before we had trouble out on the road.

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
Following for updates.
stupid question but when you said your son got a spark on the wrench, have you checked all your fuses.
Sponsored