Sponsored

Stop/Start Not Ready-Battery Charging

Adam 4248

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
That would be a big help. Since it is not likely to be faulty batteries, sensor, wiring harness, fuses, or current software up date (as those have all been tried without complete success) I wonder what they will find? Probably a glitch inside the pcm that tells the aux battery not to charge, under certain conditions.
So today my dealership service manager called and told me they are going to replace the pcm, and reprogram it. Then they will test drive it, hopefully completing this work in a day or two. I will post an update on whether this works or not.
Sponsored

Windmutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JL
Day 2 of week 2 and still no answers regarding the ESS issue. Response from corporate is they sent the dealership an email and have no updates. Dealership has gone radio silent. I am wondering if the Jeep will ever come back. I really do think at the very least I should have a loaner car.

Windmutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JL
Day 1 of week 2 and they still haven’t identified the issue. At this point I think I deserve a loaner car.
Day 3 of week 2 and no response except I received the voicemail from corporate stating that they had sent an email to the dealership and have not yet received an answer. Telling me that they have not heard any updates is frustrating.

I have had the Jeep in 6 times in 6 weeks. This last time we are going on week 2 of having it in the dealership.

I have been very patient. Based on my cars GPS locator, the car isn't even in maintenance and has been sitting in a storage lot for the past 4 days. Which means, nothing is likely being done.

Adam 4248

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
So today my dealership service manager called and told me they are going to replace the pcm, and reprogram it. Then they will test drive it, hopefully completing this work in a day or two. I will post an update on whether this works or not.
Update: this morning my dealer called and said the newly installed pcm, programming with the latest update, & overnight battery charge, did not fix the issue. Now, they are waiting on some “sensors” and it will be a few more days. Surprised?, no.

Last edited:

Windmutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JL
Day 1 of week 3 and the only update is that the dealership is planning to replace the entire battery pack. They claim they are having a delay in getting the parts since this appears to be a big issue and there are a lot of requests. I think Jeep should make ever effort to expedite this replacement part so Jeep owners don't need to experience the issues everyone is obviously experiencing. Jeep, if you really care, step up to the plate and fix this issue for all owners!

Sponsored

Windmutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JL
After 6 visits and 3 weeks in the shop this round, start stop is still not working and looks like they didn’t figure out the issue. Will need to now seek legal advice regarding lemon laws because this is definitely not getting resolved. Corporate just calls every day and says their sorry, they don’t know what’s going on.

F4599B5B-D5D2-4220-9EAD-43366D2DCEB7.jpeg

Windmutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JL
My only concern is that it is tied to something else leading to bigger issues when the warranty is up.

Adam 4248

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
I finally got my Jeep back, and so far the ESS is working properly for two days. The mechanic told me he replaced both batteries, and the wiring harness. These items do not appear on the parts list, but I did see the old aux battery and
Jeep Wrangler JL Stop/Start Not Ready-Battery Charging 245A0A57-8435-4C8B-8131-4CF5524A2B98
new wiring harness with my own eyes as he was removing the old one. also, the service manager told me as these parts were replaced ,including the pcm, there was no improvement and they were waiting on the relay. Perhaps there was miscommunication between the manager and mechanic. Anyway, the work order is very detailed and may be a big help to others with this issue.. Good luck guys.

Last edited:

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I finally got my Jeep back, and so far the ESS is working properly for two days. The mechanic told me he replaced both batteries, and the wiring harness. These items do not appear on the parts list, but I did see the old aux battery and
Jeep Wrangler JL Stop/Start Not Ready-Battery Charging 245A0A57-8435-4C8B-8131-4CF5524A2B98
new wiring harness with my own eyes as he was removing the old one. also, the service manager told me as these parts were replaced ,including the pcm, there was no improvement and they were waiting on the relay. Perhaps there was miscommunication between the manager and mechanic. Anyway, the work order is very detailed and may be a big help to others with this issue.. Good luck guys.
Holy Moly...... that Tech seemed to be really thorough. I don’t understand any of it but he sure seemed to do some digging! Hopefully fixed for you now!

Windmutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JL
Since the Arizona Lemon law goes into effect if the vehicle has been in the shop 4 times for the same issue or in the shop for 30 days, I am considering an attorney to handle the problem moving forward. Will see if we can come to a resolution. All I want is my Jeep working correctly. Corporate just says they are sorry and the dealership keeps insisting the issue is resolved when I pick up the car. Seems like a lot of passing the buck between corporate and the dealership.

Sponsored

Windmutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JL
Update, its been two weeks since I last saw my Jeep Rubicon. Its been in the dealership during this time. Chrysler has given up providing updates and the dealership still can't figure out the issue despite being in direct contact with corporate engineers. Still under warranty, wondering if we will ever find out what was causing this issue.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
I'd be happy if my ESS stopped working. Every time I forget to push the button and the rig stops at a light im like :swear:.

Windmutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JL
I'd be happy if my ESS stopped working. Every time I forget to push the button and the rig stops at a light im like :swear:.
The only issue is this may be a sign of worse issue to come if not fixed. Such as stopping and never starting back up.
Sponsored