Stop/Start Not Ready-Battery Charging

SteadyC

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
I just had my Jeep at the dealer for this problem and they stated it was the aux battery not charging properly and that is what the tech wrote on the repair order. I can provide a copy if you don't believe it.
Doesn’t mean they are correct. The same people who put 6 quarts of oil in the 3.6L engine....

Did you read willcasp’s post??????
“A few weeks ago, the dealer replaced my AUX battery to resolve the issue. This worked for about a week. I been stuck in the ESS disabled, recharging battery mode every since.”

Go ahead and ignore the information here, if you wish.
Sponsored

Jelllo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Doesn’t mean they are correct. The same people who put 6 quarts of oil in the 3.6L engine....

Did you read willcasp’s post??????
“A few weeks ago, the dealer replaced my AUX battery to resolve the issue. This worked for about a week. I been stuck in the ESS disabled, recharging battery mode every since.”

Go ahead and ignore the information here, if you wish.
We will see how long this lasts. To be honest I don't have much faith in "We charged your battery and problem is fixed"

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

We will see how long this lasts. To be honest I don't have much faith in "We charged your battery and problem is fixed"
Before the replacement, I would hook the Jeep up to a batter tender (CTEK model) overnight. ESS would start working after about 10 miles. It would last for two trips, and then go back to being disabled, batter recharging mode again.

I need to go back to the dealership and get it looked at again. It appears that folks who have made this problem go away have had both batteries replaced.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Before the replacement, I would hook the Jeep up to a batter tender (CTEK model) overnight. ESS would start working after about 10 miles. It would last for two trips, and then go back to being disabled, batter recharging mode again.

I need to go back to the dealership and get it looked at again. It appears that folks who have made this problem go away have had both batteries replaced.
You could try resetting the battery sensor. I think you should be able to just unplug the small connector for awhile, that's how it gets powered. Then it will have to relearn the battery before in enables ESS. It may not help, but could be worth trying.

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

You could try resetting the battery sensor. I think you should be able to just unplug the small connector for awhile, that's how it gets powered. Then it will have to relearn the battery before in enables ESS. It may not help, but could be worth trying.
Thank you for that tip. I have added it to my Jeep Hacks one note, for future reference.

For now, I will keep taking it to the dealer so that it will help Jeep better understand that they need to fix their design problem, as it costs them money do deal with this every time I take it in. If I keep fixing it for them, Jeep will have zero incentive to correct their mistake.

As long as we keep apologizing for them, and dealing with their design flaws, they will keep screwing us over.

Sponsored

Pcljl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
This has started on our Jeep 2018 JLUR in the last month or so. Where is the battery sensor? I'd like to try that.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

This has started on our Jeep 2018 JLUR in the last month or so. Where is the battery sensor? I'd like to try that.
There's a connector under/near the negative battery cable clamp.

Pcljl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There's a connector under/near the negative battery cable clamp.
Thanks. I'll take a look. (I'm assuming this is for the main battery, right? Or are you talking about the aux/smaller battery?)

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Thanks. I'll take a look. (I'm assuming this is for the main battery, right? Or are you talking about the aux/smaller battery?)
Main battery.

Pcljl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Main battery.
Not sure if I did it right, but this unfortunately didn't help me...at least yet.

1. Jeep was off
2. Unplugged sensor connector
3. Waited 3 minutes (I just picked 3 min, no science behind it)
4. Reconnected sensor and started Jeep
5. Drove around for a bit, and it continued to say Stop/Start Not Ready Battery is Charging

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Not sure if I did it right, but this unfortunately didn't help me...at least yet.

1. Jeep was off
2. Unplugged sensor connector
3. Waited 3 minutes (I just picked 3 min, no science behind it)
4. Reconnected sensor and started Jeep
5. Drove around for a bit, and it continued to say Stop/Start Not Ready Battery is Charging
You likely have one or both batteries going bad. Time to head to your dealer to have them replaced.

Windmutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JL
The one reason we are all suffering with ESS: Unrealistic CAFE standards / timelines imposed by our government (previous administration was especially egregious) on auto manufactures...They are effectively being asked to squeeze blood from a turnip. Washington bureaucrats are great at making knee jerk policies / demands without thinking through all the ramifications of those policies...Take ESS for example, an idea adopted to gain a few tenths of an increase in MPG to help meet CAFE standards. Never-mind the additional resources (additional battery, wiring, electronics) needed to manufacture the ESS components and lets not even mention the shortened longevity of other systems due to constant cycling (starter, batteries, A/C components, engine components themselves)...These more than offset any perceived / claimed MPG gains...
Brining it in for the 5th time in a month because the dealership can't fix the Battery Protection Mode. They reprogrammed it, charged the batterry, replaced the battery etc... with n o results. I get the sense they are hoping I quit bringing it in. This seems to be a problem that no one can fix and those who offer suggestions get the Battery Protection mode issue mixed up with Not Ready. I think they need to offer me a trade in on my 2019 JL Rubicon with 10K miles

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Brining it in for the 5th time in a month because the dealership can't fix the Battery Protection Mode. They reprogrammed it, charged the batterry, replaced the battery etc... with n o results. I get the sense they are hoping I quit bringing it in. This seems to be a problem that no one can fix and those who offer suggestions get the Battery Protection mode issue mixed up with Not Ready. I think they need to offer me a trade in on my 2019 JL Rubicon with 10K miles
Have they replaced the battery sensor yet?

Windmutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JL
Have they replaced the battery sensor yet?
Yes, that was replaced today. Drove it out the lot and had the same problem. Dealership says it should resolve after a few days of driving. That's what they said after they reprogramed the Jeep.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, that was replaced today. Drove it out the lot and had the same problem. Dealership says it should resolve after a few days of driving. That's what they said after they reprogramed the Jeep.
The new battery sensor has to learn the characteristics of battery before ESS will be enabled. The battery sensor is key to the ESS system because ESS will not be enabled unless the battery sensor indicates that the main battery is capable of a restart.
Sponsored