Stop/Start Not Ready-Battery Charging

AwCrimety

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUS
My 2018 ess worked fine. Would stay off for many minutes as a red light. Since picking up my 2019, the engine would only ever remain off for up to 30 seconds before starting itself back up. Many times less than that. Took it two dealers who claimed they tested the batteries,...but only ever gave results of 'its fine'. I never saw any evidence it was actually tested.

Now, 6 months later, the only time ESS worked was after a 4 hour drive. Worked a few times that day, but since then, not ready, battery charging.

I've dealt with it not working because dealer service is so terrible, I dont have it in me to go in there and fight with them anymore.

At my next oil change, I'll mention it again. But theyll probably just tell me my jeep didnt come with ESS

Jeepcares, dont bother trying to help, I'm Canadian. I know already you dont care us :)
Sponsored

Drumr04

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
Maybe I am off here, but I should not have to be constantly plugging a battery tender into my regularly driven Jeep to keep the thing operating to spec.
Agreed completely. This isnā€™t an exotic car or something with 150k miles. Shouldnā€™t have to. But for now itā€™s whatever. This thing is still so new Iā€™m eating thru the depreciation so Iā€™m not going to trade it yet. Definitely will before the warranty is up though.

gentryTX

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
2018 JLUR owner here. Recently hit 30,000 miles so figured it was time to hit a dealership to go over things that don't quite work right. all are well known issues; Engine fan sounds like Jeep is about to take flight, rear defrost does not work, PCM flash for cruise control not disengaging in some circumstances, and ESS no longer working.

ESS quit working about 6 months ago. Get the ESS Not Ready - Battery Charging message and indicated voltage above 14V at all times. Will update everyone on the outcome.

A big thanks to Huffines CDJR in Lewisville, TX for offering/providing a loaner without even asking. They put me in a Ram with a 5.7L hemi...I've always driven a truck so nice change of pace.

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Wrangler392; ā€˜20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
Hereā€™s hoping I get two fresh batteries :fingerscrossed:

DAD3C615-8F6A-4BC6-A26B-E22B26C1358D.jpeg

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

I took mine into the dealer this morning. 2018 Sport S that I purchased new in June 2019. ESS not activating due to battery recharging. If I leave it on a battery tender all night, I get ESS finally engaging after about 15 miles of driving. It works for a couple of 20 mile trips, and then goes back to the deactivated while charging the battery state. I explained this to the service manager. He didn't seem familiar with the issue. Will see if it gets fixed!
I also asked them to level the Mopar LED headlights that they installed a few months ago, and never leveled as per the instructions. For extra giggles, I asked them to get the code to enable the LED fenders that the installed as well.

Not even a mention of the manual transmission recall, which shows up in my Mopar App already.

Will see what actually gets done / fixed.

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
2018 JLUR owner here. Recently hit 30,000 miles so figured it was time to hit a dealership to go over things that don't quite work right. all are well known issues; Engine fan sounds like Jeep is about to take flight, rear defrost does not work, PCM flash for cruise control not disengaging in some circumstances, and ESS no longer working.

ESS quit working about 6 months ago. Get the ESS Not Ready - Battery Charging message and indicated voltage above 14V at all times. Will update everyone on the outcome.

A big thanks to Huffines CDJR in Lewisville, TX for offering/providing a loaner without even asking. They put me in a Ram with a 5.7L hemi...I've always driven a truck so nice change of pace.
Hello gentryTX,
We are certainly sorry to hear about your recent concerns, however, we are happy to hear you are working alongside your dealer. Please know our team is available if you need any additional assistance throughout this process. We're happy to help.
Laura
JeepCares

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

Quick update
- for the ESS problem, the dealer acknowledged that the ESS battery was dead. that is being replaced. they had to order the part. Hopefully I won't need to revisit this one.
- completing the installation of the LED headlights.. they were not level. Apparently one of the lights was at its highest setting, so they are replacing it. Had to order that part too.
- LED fender turn signals. Still no code from Jeep.

JeepNomad

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue JLUR
Occupation
Retired Navy
I notice a lot of the ESS battery issues on here are in 2018 and 2019 JL's. Does anyone know if they switched to a better battery in the 2020's? Maybe JEEP CARES can weigh in on this?

tablerock

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017Viper,2012Ram,3Corvettes,2 Street Rods,2019 2Door Wrangler
Never use Start/ Stop !!!! If one of the batteries fails,, will both batteries fail ? Thanks

JeepNomad

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue JLUR
Occupation
Retired Navy
Never use Start/ Stop !!!! If one of the batteries fails,, will both batteries fail ? Thanks
Totally agree. I wish it wasn't a standard system. This is why I hate when companies brag about things being "standard." All that means to me is they are taking away my choice whether to buy that system or not. Ok, rant over. lol

Sponsored

gentryTX

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

*****UPDATE*****

First three issues were software updates.

Hooked up batteries to their tester and both failed. Both batteries replaced under warranty and they had the Jeep back to me within 24 hours.

GeoMSP

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Hello gentryTX,
We are certainly sorry to hear about your recent concerns, however, we are happy to hear you are working alongside your dealer. Please know our team is available if you need any additional assistance throughout this process. We're happy to help.
Laura
JeepCares
I was having the same issues with the auto start/stop not working. First time I took to dealer they replaced the battery sensor. The system worked at the first stop sign when I left the dealer, and that was it. Took back early March and they replaced the stop/start battery and the main battery. So far it has been working consistently.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Quick update
- for the ESS problem, the dealer acknowledged that the ESS battery was dead. that is being replaced. they had to order the part. Hopefully I won't need to revisit this one.
- completing the installation of the LED headlights.. they were not level. Apparently one of the lights was at its highest setting, so they are replacing it. Had to order that part too.
- LED fender turn signals. Still no code from Jeep.
Hello willcasp,
Thank you for updating us here. We are certainly sorry to hear about your previous troubles, however, we are happy to hear your dealer was able to assist. If you have any questions or concerns in the future, please know our team is available.
Laura
JeepCares

*****UPDATE*****

First three issues were software updates.

Hooked up batteries to their tester and both failed. Both batteries replaced under warranty and they had the Jeep back to me within 24 hours.
Hello gentryTX,
We are happy to hear your dealer was able to remedy your concern. If you need any additional assistance in the future, please know our team is available.
Laura
JeepCares

I was having the same issues with the auto start/stop not working. First time I took to dealer they replaced the battery sensor. The system worked at the first stop sign when I left the dealer, and that was it. Took back early March and they replaced the stop/start battery and the main battery. So far it has been working consistently.
Hello GeoMSP,
We are sorry to hear about your recent troubles with your start/stop. However, I am happy to hear that your dealer was able to diagnose your concerns. If assistance is needed in the future, please know our team is happy to help.
Laura
JeepCares

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
My EVIC displayed voltage stays at 13.8-14 most of the time but ESS works when I test it ever so often and not goofy messages, I do put a tender on the batteries once a month.

I am getting close on warranty expiration so once my ESS battery craps out I will most likely jumper between N1 and N2 and remove the ESS negative and run with just the one battery, not sure if I will get any messages on start up but I did test this for a few weeks awhile back and all worked fine
Sponsored