Stop/Start Not Ready-Battery Charging

tablerock

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017Viper,2012Ram,3Corvettes,2 Street Rods,2019 2Door Wrangler
What is the duration of the factory warranty on ESS ??? I thought it went beyond 3yrs.36,000 miles.
Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Question.....

for the folks needed in to replace their ESS (I.e. “motorcycle”) battery..........

where you using ESS or not? Personally, I don’t like ESS and push the button to turn it off each time I start my jump. I am wondering if my ESS battery will last longer?

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
What is the duration of the factory warranty on ESS ??? I thought it went beyond 3yrs.36,000 miles.
I doubt it goes beyond the 3/36 unless you purchased an extended warranty, my plan is to jumper around the ESS battery when it goes and disconnect the ESS negative, I have ESS disabled with a Smart stop/start module

Drumr04

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
Question.....

for the folks needed in to replace their ESS (I.e. “motorcycle”) battery..........

where you using ESS or not? Personally, I don’t like ESS and push the button to turn it off each time I start my jump. I am wondering if my ESS battery will last longer?
I never touched the ESS cancel button since I’ve owned the jeep. I actually like it as it makes me feel like I’m saving gas even if it’s not saving much.

Dvol

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR
Question.....

I only Use the ESS in the Winter months due to it shutting off the Ac in summer. Seems kinda odd that there is so many failures with this battery. I would think that it may be the Brand , size or lack of amp rating for the draw idk. May just be plain ole bad luck of the draw.

Sponsored

Rubi JLU

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
My ESS has been in "Battery Charging" state for months and would only engage after a long road trip. I finally took it in to the dealer yesterday and they said the IBS connector was loose. They "connected sensor back to the IBS and restest system"

The ESS started working immediately and worked all the way home from the dealer. Today, on the other hand, it is no longer working and is back into the "Battery Charging" state.

Can anyone tell me where the IBS sensor is and how I can see if it is loose myself? I asked the guys at the service desk and they had no clue what I was talking about, they could only read me what was on the work order.

I see the IBS on fuse F3 but I have gone through and made sure all my fuses are set multiple times. Is the sensor something else?

Thanks,

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
My ESS has been in "Battery Charging" state for months and would only engage after a long road trip. I finally took it in to the dealer yesterday and they said the IBS connector was loose. They "connected sensor back to the IBS and restest system"

The ESS started working immediately and worked all the way home from the dealer. Today, on the other hand, it is no longer working and is back into the "Battery Charging" state.

Can anyone tell me where the IBS sensor is and how I can see if it is loose myself? I asked the guys at the service desk and they had no clue what I was talking about, they could only read me what was on the work order.

I see the IBS on fuse F3 but I have gone through and made sure all my fuses are set multiple times. Is the sensor something else?

Thanks,
It is the little device on the negative terminal of the main battery and the negative cable connects to it. It's easy for the nut holding the negative cable to twist loose when the cable is bumped. Just make sure both of your negative cables are tight.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
It is the little device on the negative terminal of the main battery and the negative cable connects to it. It's easy for the nut holding the negative cable to twist loose when the cable is bumped. Just make sure both of your negative cables are tight.
Thank you so much for sharing this information! After reading this, just checked mine and BOTH my negative and positive terminals were NOT tight enough. They were only snug but not tight and moved when manipulated by hand.

Just tighted everything so now we'll see if the ESS battery issue is resolved.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
UPDATE

With 2 full days of driving after tightening my battery connections, I have to say the situation has improved! I now have a sporadically functional ESS system rather than a non-functional ESS system.

I still see that battery charging message most of the time. So, it seems my 2nd battery is on the way out... Or something else?

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
UPDATE

With 2 full days of driving after tightening my battery connections, I have to say the situation has improved! I now have a sporadically functional ESS system rather than a non-functional ESS system.

I still see that battery charging message most of the time. So, it seems my 2nd battery is on the way out... Or something else?

Hi Htfan,
I'm sorry to hear that this function has been giving you trouble. While I see that you have called for the assistance of your fellow forum members, please do not hesitate to reach out to us if you are ever in need of additional support.

Kathryn
JeepCares

Sponsored

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
It's not an issue at all the system is doing its job once the battery is at operating levels the system will start working a built in safety. My JLUR sits for days at a time once I drive it for about 10m it's all good.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
It's not an issue at all the system is doing its job once the battery is at operating levels the system will start working a built in safety. My JLUR sits for days at a time once I drive it for about 10m it's all good.
However, in my situation it seems the ESS battery is not retaining a charge. After about 30 minutes of driving it "may" start to function again. But as soon as I stop somewhere, run into the store etc. then it's back to not ready charging status again.

I should have also mentioned the ESS battery performed well for the 1st 6 months of operation. Next service visit, I'll have the dealership look at this.

Birdman

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler JL
Took my 2018 JL nacho in for ESS issue. First time replaced the aux Batt worked for a bit then stopped took it back they replaced the main battery all good now and they did a flash update that fixed my heat to make the climate control more accurate and the steering is tight now no play and stiffer. Way better steering than before. Any idea what these updates were??

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
I too have been having this issue and honestly I didn’t realize it as I normally turn off Stop/Start. Lately I haven’t remember to turn it off because its not working. I don't understand why JEEP can’t get anything right. Owning this thing is starting to piss me off. I hope I’m not left stranded somewhere one of these days because of a discharged battery.

This is already my 3rd separate Issue on this cheap (I mean JEEP) and I may I just trade it in.

tablerock

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017Viper,2012Ram,3Corvettes,2 Street Rods,2019 2Door Wrangler
Well said RubenZ !!! I don't like --trust ESS !!!
Sponsored