Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Good to know that the worthless, expensive abomination shuts itself off rather than shutting the Jeep down when it fails.
Joe, if only that were true. As designed from the factory the ESS battery must have power or your JL won't cold crank. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/why-the-3-6l-v6-jl-jumpstarts-are-the-way-they-are/

There are workarounds.

This is one of @Jebiruph's links. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...olidated-information.25377/page-3#post-654156

He'd most responsible for identifying how this worsk and how to get around this reliance on the ESS battery.
Sponsored

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
Joe, if only that were true. As designed from the factory the ESS battery must have power or your JL won't cold crank. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/why-the-3-6l-v6-jl-jumpstarts-are-the-way-they-are/

There are workarounds.

This is one of @Jebiruph's links. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...olidated-information.25377/page-3#post-654156

He'd most responsible for identifying how this worsk and how to get around this reliance on the ESS battery.

I have this warning every road trip over an hour I take, often times wheeling just off the freeway and it has never been an issue starting the jeep thus far. Knock on wood, skull not the the other wood,

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I have this warning every road trip over an hour I take, often times wheeling just off the freeway and it has never been an issue starting the jeep thus far. Knock on wood, skull not the the other wood,
Perhaps Martin your (assuming 3.6L) JL has adequate ESS/Aux battery power to crank, just not enough to meet the threshold for your JL to allow you to enter into an ESS start stop event when your foot is on the brake and in Drive (automatic) when all other conditions (e.g. warm engine) have been met for an ESS even to take place.

I'd have the JL's ESS battery looked at and consider placing the vehicle on a trickle charger when it is as rest to see if this condition goes away. You can place the charger's leads on the main battery. Both batteries are connected in parallel when the 3.6L is parked so both batteries will feel the effects of the charger.

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
Perhaps Martin your (assuming 3.6L) JL has adequate ESS/Aux battery power to crank, just not enough to meet the threshold for your JL to allow you to enter into an ESS start stop event when your foot is on the brake and in Drive (automatic) when all other conditions (e.g. warm engine) have been met for an ESS even to take place.

I'd have the JL's ESS battery looked at and consider placing the vehicle on a trickle charger when it is as rest to see if this condition goes away. You can place the charger's leads on the main battery. Both batteries are connected in parallel when the 3.6L is parked so both batteries will feel the effects of the charger.
It seems like some emissions BS, on the freeway with right foot to the floor the voltage hovers at 12.7, them goes up to 14v when i coast. Trickle charging makes no difference, tried it at least 6 times prior to road trips.

eck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU MOAB HellaYella
Mine went into battery protection mode yesterday. I left it on the trickle charger overnight and it seems to be fine today. I'll keep an eye on it and report back.
After a few days, it's still working normally. If you hit this problem, try giving the battery a good charge and see if it goes away.

Sponsored

CoolToys

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cooltoys.tv
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 2018 Jaguar F-pace, 2002 Mercedes SLK,
Occupation
CoolToys® TV Host
Vehicle Showcase
After a few days, it's still working normally. If you hit this problem, try giving the battery a good charge and see if it goes away.
Since picking my 2019 JLU up it has had a battery problem. If it remained parked, in the shop or CoolToys.TV studio for more than 3 days it was dead.

The dealer rep said that leaving it unlocked left a computer running which drains the battery. He also suggested a battery maintainer. It was pretty good until…..

After shooting the Sahara v Rubicon video, I was headed home and making a left. At the light the ESS worked as normal and the engine stopped. As the light changed and I made the left, it started, lurched forward and the main screen displayed « throttle body error » for about 10 seconds. It would only got 3 MPH causing me to block traffic.

A few seconds later the dash displayed « protection mode » « low voltage » and the engine started operating normally

1 mile later it died in my driveway. I put it on the big battery charger that read 6.1 volts. After an overnight deep cycle charge I was able to drive it to the dealer.

The dealer now says it is either the « alarm or one of three media modules ». They have had it for 27 days as of today.

I’ll update when I get it back, any updates on your end appreciated

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
took mine in to service, turns out it was a blown relay fuse. i dont have the the paperwork atm but i can let you know which fuse it was later tonight.
Can you list which fuse? I’m having the same issue and I replaced both batteries two weeks ago

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Can you list which fuse? I’m having the same issue and I replaced both batteries two weeks ago
This is an old thread, and many of the posters have moved on or don't come here often.

It's likey the N1-N7 fuse array on the engine side of the fuse box/PDC. It's where the battery wires connect. You can see it when you pop the lid of the PDC, it has the threaded posts and cables connected. It's a poor design and it;s impossibleto tell by looking to which of those fuses have blown. It's easy to overlook, but will cause major headaches, even for Jeep service departments.

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
This is an old thread, and many of the posters have moved on or don't come here often.

It's likey the N1-N7 fuse array on the engine side of the fuse box/PDC. It's where the battery wires connect. You can see it when you pop the lid of the PDC, it has the threaded posts and cables connected. It's a poor design and it;s impossibleto tell by looking to which of those fuses have blown. It's easy to overlook, but will cause major headaches, even for Jeep service departments.
I ordered a replacement but…took the relay out and the 10amp and reseated them and it works again. So weird
Sponsored