Sponsored

Stinger vs hoop please help me decide

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
I have a low profile on mine which I like. However, the fact I cannot swing my freespool lever enough to engage makes me want to get a mid height. Stingers are just excessive in my opinion. Kinda poser ish.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I'm a form follows function guy.
Stingers are rather poser unless you actually do put your Jeep in a headstand occasionally. Everyone knows if you are one to do that or not, the stinger will not sway them. Mid-height has the most actual grill protection functionality and is my personal preference. Low-profile, while not at all bad, just ranks lower IMO because it provides less grill protection (which is their functional purpose).

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

There is another option... none. They look cool and when I started looking at aftermarket bumpers I liked them but after some 'soul searching'...

I ordered a Rockhard aluminum bumper and asked them to delete the bar. Yeah I see how they can help with protection, but I can't see me driving into an obstacle that will injure my grill.

I guess if I wasn't paying attention? When I'm offroad, I am definitely paying attention.

I wanted light weight, more mounting surface for lights, less blockage of radiator and front camera.

To each his own...

Jeep Wrangler JL Stinger vs hoop please help me decide IMG_2360

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
How thick/strong are the RH aluminum bumpers? I mean, do they feel like substantial protection or if I do drag them on a rock will it likely get crunched in?

Looks great

For OP: I like shorter stingers than these, these are the crazy over the top stingers IMO. Sometihng like the Warn stinger is much more my style, I guess you'd call it a midlength stinger, or at least it's a wider more boxy style.

There is another option... none. They look cool and when I started looking at aftermarket bumpers I liked them but after some 'soul searching'...

I ordered a Rockhard aluminum bumper and asked them to delete the bar. Yeah I see how they can help with protection, but I can't see me driving into an obstacle that will injure my grill.

I guess if I wasn't paying attention? When I'm offroad, I am definitely paying attention.

I wanted light weight, more mounting surface for lights, less blockage of radiator and front camera.

To each his own...

IMG_2360.jpg

Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

How thick/strong are the RH aluminum bumpers? I mean, do they feel like substantial protection or if I do drag them on a rock will it likely get crunched in?

Looks great

For OP: I like shorter stingers than these, these are the crazy over the top stingers IMO. Sometihng like the Warn stinger is much more my style, I guess you'd call it a midlength stinger.
Can't answer on the bumpers but my OEM steel front came with the RockHard 4x4 bar and it's really sturdy. I don't care for the finish (it's slightly glossy, doesn't perfectly match the factory steel) but otherwise it's a well-built bar. The metal is thick, the mounting plates are done well, the finish is thick enough to hold, and they supplied high quality hardware and instructions.

Based on my experience with their bar, I wouldn't hesitate at all to purchase one of their bumpers (if it fit what I was looking for).

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Looks great
I'm traveling on biz so I will have to get back to you on actual thickness. And I don't have first hand crunch experience... yet, but I'm very happy with the build quality.
My concern would only be the lower 'skirt' but the high approach angle should do me well.
Sponsored