Sponsored

Steering wheel wobble?

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Best video video on this topic
Mopar has a new drag link inner (the part that connects to the pitman arm). New part number is 68258759AD which came out mid February 2019 (was 68258759AB).

There is also a new track bar. Old part number is 68317849AA the new part number is 68394087AA which came out mid February 2019.
Sponsored

Leights7

First Name
Leighton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Mopar has a new drag link inner (the part that connects to the pitman arm). New part number is 68258759AD which came out mid February 2019 (was 68258759AB).

There is also a new track bar. Old part number is 68317849AA the new part number is 68394087AA which came out mid February 2019.
Thanks for this. Is there any info on what exactly the updates do? I do not have DW, loose or wandering steering - but isn't it best practice to have the latest parts anyway?

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Thanks for this. Is there any info on what exactly the updates do? I do not have DW, loose or wandering steering - but isn't it best practice to have the latest parts anyway?
There is no way of telling if an updated part would prevent a future problem or not. Plus, the dealer won't replace it under warranty unless it is either a recall or fixing a specific problem. You could pay for the part and pay to have it installed of course. At lease it would be a Mopar part so a dealer couldn't blame or deny other related repairs due to aftermarket parts - there are several examples on this forum where the dealer said they won't work on steering related problems because it was lifted with a non-Mopar lift, has an aftermarket steering stabilizer, etc. "If it isn't broke, don't fix it" may apply and you could introduce a new problem, so I wouldn't since you don't have DW, loose steering or wandering.

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
Did they find anything that needed to be tightened, or did they verify everything was tight already? What SS did they use?
I am sure they found loose nuts, when I did the preliminary review I found 3 bolts loose. They replaced the SS with a new factory SS, as reported in another thread, the latest version mopar SS is much stiffer than the first versions.

subiescott77

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
This is the problem with most of these threads. The OP stated in post 1 that he experiences some shaking going on with the steering wheel going over bumps.

I also experience some steering wheel play going over bumps at lower speeds, whether they be pot holes or gaping holes in the ground....it seems there is some deflection transferring through the wheels and steering components...making the steering wheel manipulate a little. If that makes sense. This is not a case of sustained and severe shaking....or anything else related to steering being loose or tight.

So again, I am experiencing the same as OP....and I certainly am not going to read through 36 pages of what I deem to be a catch all basin of a wide range of issues.

Does anyone have anything related to the above???

Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I'm getting pretty fed up with dealing with this :-(.
Has your dealer replaced the track bar and drank link inner with the new versions yet? Mopar has a new drag link inner (the part of the drag link that connects to the pitman arm), new part number is 68258759AD which came out mid February 2019 (old part number is 68258759AB). The track bar old part number is 68317849AA the new part number is 68394087AA which also came out mid February 2019.

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
This is the problem with most of these threads. The OP stated in post 1 that he experiences some shaking going on with the steering wheel going over bumps.

I also experience some steering wheel play going over bumps at lower speeds, whether they be pot holes or gaping holes in the ground....it seems there is some deflection transferring through the wheels and steering components...making the steering wheel manipulate a little. If that makes sense. This is not a case of sustained and severe shaking....or anything else related to steering being loose or tight.

So again, I am experiencing the same as OP....and I certainly am not going to read through 36 pages of what I deem to be a catch all basin of a wide range of issues.

Does anyone have anything related to the above???

In my experiences, It will start as shimmying... then progress to a full death wobble as the jeep gets looser and looser, and parts become more fatigued (they loose their strength (yield) and eventually fail). Better to find root cause(s) earlier vs later.

hope that helps,

TC

Sponsored

jeepthang

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Yikes!

Stock vehicle or otherwise?
That is awful, I shouldn't be complaining over my mild shimmy/wobble but if that is what I have to look forward to down the road this is going to get ugly. I cannot believe these conversations and threads are even had in 2019 without any FCA resolution after coming up on nearly a year of these being on the road.

COSJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 WK2, 2019 JLR?
I'm getting pretty fed up with dealing with this :-(.
Looks like you are driving on Powers Blvd. I haven't taken powers yet as I am still in the break-in period. I will try the same section at 65 and see if I get any shimmy or wobble.

Bri_BKT

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Rubicon JLU 4xe; 2016 Mazda CX-5
Looks like you are driving on Powers Blvd. I haven't taken powers yet as I am still in the break-in period. I will try the same section at 65 and see if I get any shimmy or wobble.
Just a suggestion, but you might try HWYs 24 or 94 if you are having steering issues as there is usually less traffic.

mrsnorkel99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Tacoma, soon to be jeep owner
Wow that's awfull for a new vehicle.
I wonder if the jeeps being built right now have the updated track bar and drag link being installed. I ordered my first jeep on 2/25/19. Hopefully they will fix this as it seems a pretty common problem.

Last edited:

COSJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 WK2, 2019 JLR?
Just a suggestion, but you might try HWYs 24 or 94 if you are having steering issues as there is usually less traffic.
I do not have steering issues but only have 125 miles on the Jeep . I would be scared to drive it on Powers if it wobbles like that. Hope you get it fixed soon.
Sponsored