Steering wheel wobble?

TimP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 wrangler sport
They replaced my track bar and it made no change.

I am at the dealer dropping it off again, if it’s not fixed this time I think I’ll be utilizing my companies lawyer benefits to deal with it.

40k vehicle and I can’t safely drive it after 5 months. I’m beyond annoyed with this. It’s continoually getting worse too, today on the way to this appointment it was so bad I had to slam the brakes and pull of the road.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
They replaced my track bar and it made no change.

I am at the dealer dropping it off again, if it’s not fixed this time I think I’ll be utilizing my companies lawyer benefits to deal with it.

40k vehicle and I can’t safely drive it after 5 months. I’m beyond annoyed with this. It’s continually getting worse too, today on the way to this appointment it was so bad I had to slam the brakes and pull of the road.
Make sure they check the torque on the ball joints as well. And no, not visually inspect it, take off the cotter pins, check torque, then re-insert the cotter pins. Torque cannot be checked with the cotter pins still installed. All 4 in the front. If you turn the steering wheel far left or right, you can see them without crawling under the vehicle to verify if they removed the cotter pins or not. New cotter pins will be bent perfectly from the factory. Replaced cotter pins will look like a human put them and bent them with a pair of pliers.

It looks like this guy's JL's ball joint nuts were so loose, that they came completely out.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-is-this-an-isolated-case-or-a-problem.17516/

And many in the steering thread are finding their ball joint nuts were so loose, they could remove them with their fingers.

Sponsored

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
Make sure they check the torque on the ball joints as well. And no, not visually inspect it, take off the cotter pins, check torque, then re-insert the cotter pins. Torque cannot be checked with the cotter pins still installed. All 4 in the front. If you turn the steering wheel far left or right, you can see them without crawling under the vehicle to verify if they removed the cotter pins or not. New cotter pins will be bent perfectly from the factory. Replaced cotter pins will look like a human put them and bent them with a pair of pliers.

It looks like this guy's JL's ball joint nuts were so loose, that they came completely out.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-is-this-an-isolated-case-or-a-problem.17516/

And many in the steering thread are finding their ball joint nuts were so loose, they could remove them with their fingers.
I am not sure the loose ball joint could cause this issue. Could be wrong, but the torque from the bolts seems to pulling against the press fit.

TimP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 wrangler sport
They replaced the ball joints on the last visit, I’d like to think the torque was re-done st that time lol

TheJoyceIsYours

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lbdesignworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Designer
Ok update from the dealer... My wife talked to them and relayed the info very well, but it sounds like they told her after creating a case with FCA, and waiting on a response, today they issued a TSB on the steering stabilizer. Part was on back order and could be till 2019 when the part would be available. We should know more next week.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Ok update from the dealer... My wife talked to them and relayed the info very well, but it sounds like they told her after creating a case with FCA, and waiting on a response, today they issued a TSB on the steering stabilizer. Part was on back order and could be till 2019 when the part would be available. We should know more next week.
Do you have any info on this stabilizer TSB? Like a TSB number? Or anything? I don't see it on the Recall / TSB list here yet - https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/steering-wheel-wobble.16577/page-7#post-433876

TheJoyceIsYours

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lbdesignworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Designer
Do you have any info on this stabilizer TSB? Like a TSB number? Or anything? I don't see it on the Recall / TSB list here yet - https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/steering-wheel-wobble.16577/page-7#post-433876
Just repeating what I heard, but unfortunately I do not. I called the earlier today and they said they were waiting to hear back from Chrysler engineering (normally only took a few hours apparently) since Wednesday AM basically.

Will add updates as I get them, but I know I don't want to drive this base Cherokee for too much longer... i guess It was nice they gave me a loaner till I get my Jeep back, so I'll be thankful for the positives!

Sponsored

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
No one seems to know the answer here so...

You need more caster i recommend 5.1-5.4 degrees even stock not lifted . And put your tire pressure down to 33-34.

Command Line RC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Yesterday, I decided to remove the wheels and spec out the bearings...again...and worked my way all the way up to the steering column. Everything seemed legit. I removed the steering stabilizer and noticed that I could actually move this thing back and forth with my hand with relative ease. Installed the Falcon steering stabilizer and noticed a dramatic difference. I could actually drive on the interstate with one hand now...no more white knuckling the steering wheel! No more death wobble.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Yesterday, I decided to remove the wheels and spec out the bearings...again...and worked my way all the way up to the steering column. Everything seemed legit. I removed the steering stabilizer and noticed that I could actually move this thing back and forth with my hand with relative ease. Installed the Falcon steering stabilizer and noticed a dramatic difference. I could actually drive on the interstate with one hand now...no more white knuckling the steering wheel! No more death wobble.
What was the symptom before you installed the Falcon steering stabilizer? Could you turn the steering wheel 2+ inches before the tires turned? Or something else?

Command Line RC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
What was the symptom before you installed the Falcon steering stabilizer? Could you turn the steering wheel 2+ inches before the tires turned? Or something else?
Yes the symptom was before the after market stabilizer. Yes again, I had about an inch and a half of play in the steering wheel and now I have zero

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Yes the symptom was before the after market stabilizer. Yes again, I had about an inch and a half of play in the steering wheel and now I have zero
Hopefully this steering stabilizer TSB or recall that someone said their dealer brought up will come out soon. Seems everyone is adjusting the steering box to remove the excessive play in the steering wheel.
Sponsored