Steering Stabilizer question

sgtmajor138

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S Freedom package
I purchased my 2020 2 dr Sport S last July and love the Jeep. I did have the play in the steering and had the dealer perform the TSB steering box replacement. Although it seems to have helped a little, I am still not pleased with how much play is in the steering. My wheel will move over 1" each way, depending on speed.

I know this might be a band aid, but could I replace the steering stabilizer with a more robust one and take care of some (hopefully all) of this play? I have owned Wranglers for several years, everything from a YJ, multiple TJs, a JK, and now the JL. Some of the TJs and the JK had tighter steering than this new JL. I am certainly tired of non-Wrangler people telling me that is what I get for driving a Jeep. I have replaced the steering stabilizers on other Wranglers and have enjoyed the benefits of tighter steering, but that was on an older vehicle with worn steering components.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Sponsored

JeepyD

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T
A better fix would be to replace the tie rod and drag link with heavy duty units since you already have the upgraded steering box. The stabilizer really just dampens the play that already exists in the factory links. The factory rods are also very thin walled compared to the aftermarket units. The Steer Smarts and Synergy are two popular upgrades, but I am going with the Rusty's Offroad due to the beefier construction and higher quality end joints. Rusty's isn't as well known but makes some very high quality Jeep parts. With that being said, a steering stabilizer upgrade is good too, but to me the tie rod and drag link will make a bigger impact long-term.

jackrubicon

First Name
jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler rubicon 2021
I purchased my 2020 2 dr Sport S last July and love the Jeep. I did have the play in the steering and had the dealer perform the TSB steering box replacement. Although it seems to have helped a little, I am still not pleased with how much play is in the steering. My wheel will move over 1" each way, depending on speed.

I know this might be a band aid, but could I replace the steering stabilizer with a more robust one and take care of some (hopefully all) of this play? I have owned Wranglers for several years, everything from a YJ, multiple TJs, a JK, and now the JL. Some of the TJs and the JK had tighter steering than this new JL. I am certainly tired of non-Wrangler people telling me that is what I get for driving a Jeep. I have replaced the steering stabilizers on other Wranglers and have enjoyed the benefits of tighter steering, but that was on an older vehicle with worn steering components.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Hello i have Rubicon 2021 and the same problem i dont Like my Rubicon 2021 stering is very dangerous on the road i have only 2640klm and paid 74.000 canadien $$$

20210111_185540.jpg

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Jl’s like caster, 6.5-7 seems to be where they drive the best. And as others have mentioned a better track bar will help firm it up some more, followed by the tie rod and drag link.

Sponsored

jackrubicon

First Name
jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yes hello my Jeep is under warranty and the dealer does not find the problem having known I would never have bought this

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
yes hello my Jeep is under warranty and the dealer does not find the problem having known I would never have bought this
Dealers tend to over inflate the tires, which will make them wander and not hold a straight line. Also, too high of pressure will prevent the full width of the tire tread from contacting the ground and will unevenly wear them out, shortening their lifespan. Try dropping them to the 30-32 psi range, and see how that feels on the road.

jackrubicon

First Name
jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dealers tend to over inflate the tires, which will make them wander and not hold a straight line. Also, too high of pressure will prevent the full width of the tire tread from contacting the ground and will unevenly wear them out, shortening their lifespan. Try dropping them to the 30-32 psi range, and see how that feels on the road.
thank you yes I checked the pressure they are at 37 as requested by the manufacturer
Can you tell me if the part that synergie manufactures makes buyers happy? Thank you

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Hello i have Rubicon 2021 and the same problem i dont Like my Rubicon 2021 stering is very dangerous on the road i have only 2640klm and paid 74.000 canadien $$$

Jeep Wrangler JL Steering Stabilizer question 20210111_185540
Got yourself an Airdale there!! Love them.

Sponsored

DWS44

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Box: 2022 JLUR 392 + '17 C7 GS & '21 C8 Vettes
Occupation
CAD/IT Manager (Civil/Airport Design)
To go back to your specific question, back well before the new steering box came out, I tried, at different times, changing both the stabilizer (for two different Fox stabilizers) and a SteerSmarts Track Bar, and neither made any significant difference in the play you are talking about. Ultimately I went back to stock on the stabilizer and returned those, and left the Track Bar on since it was a bigger pain to take back off.

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
i'm 97% sure there's a tennis ball under that jeep
Ha, the greatest story I have heard about Airdales personalities is:
You walk up to a cliff and you have three dogs with you: A Laborador Retriever, a Collie and an Airedale. You tell them to jump off the cliff, the Lab and Collie just jump because their master said so. the Airedale just looks up at you and says "you first."

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
thank you yes I checked the pressure they are at 37 as requested by the manufacturer
Can you tell me if the part that synergie manufactures makes buyers happy? Thank you
37 psi is too high. Drop it down to 30-32 psi and see if that helps make the steering feel more sure-footed and predictable.

I wouldn't waste your time and money on the synergy sector shaft brace. Try the lower tire pressure 1st. See what that does, and if you want to pursue it farther, start a thread dedicated to you and your Jeep. There's a lot of very helpful people here that want to see fellow Jeepers happy with their Jeeps.

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase