Sponsored

Start stop not ready question

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Not hostile? And yeah encourage how to properly take the steps to test the voltage could have also been a great start also? Besides it’s all new and warranty hence the statement of take it to the dealer, so they can produce the good ol code and warranty him an aux and or both batteries that is all. But then again finding the dealers with people who actually care about the issues can be frustrating. Have yet to see tire size be an issue stop start doesn’t work and probably never will.
You mean the same dealer that said his 37" tires were the issue?
Sponsored

FirecrackerRedJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Agreed, but dealers love to blame users for errors that they simply don’t want to fix. I’m dealing with one right now. It sucks, but you have to play the game.
That’s why ya unfortunelty have to weed out the horrible ones and find a good one and stick with them. It’s unfortunate but it’s the reality of it

OP
OP
Neohiofan

Neohiofan

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
So to stop all of this I’m an old school jeeper. I’ve owned 6 jk jeeps and can tear them down to the last nut and bolt. I am a noob however to ESS and JL. I do own a multimeter and I do know the battery the battery is under the battery. I just needed to research how to unhook them. To make a long story I did get some help from someone on the forum who had a very similar experience. I’ve updated the firmware on the tazer which isn’t the problem. I am charging the batteries with a trickle charger and will wait till it’s done. I will then reinstall and marry the tazer with a new sequence and give it a whirl. I’m guessing the same as the forum member who walked me through all of this that the smaller battery isn’t fully charged. If this doesn’t work then back to the dealer and let them test both batteries and replace whatever one or both that needs replacing. Don’t think I’ll need to do that but I’ve got it narrowed down and can talk their master tech through it. Thanks for the help everyone. I’ll keep you posted on what ends up with the final diagnosis.

FirecrackerRedJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
So to stop all of this I’m an old school jeeper. I’ve owned 6 jk jeeps and can tear them down to the last nut and bolt. I am a noob however to ESS and JL. I do own a multimeter and I do know the battery the battery is under the battery. I just needed to research how to unhook them. To make a long story I did get some help from someone on the forum who had a very similar experience. I’ve updated the firmware on the tazer which isn’t the problem. I am charging the batteries with a trickle charger and will wait till it’s done. I will then reinstall and marry the tazer with a new sequence and give it a whirl. I’m guessing the same as the forum member who walked me through all of this that the smaller battery isn’t fully charged. If this doesn’t work then back to the dealer and let them test both batteries and replace whatever one or both that needs replacing. Don’t think I’ll need to do that but I’ve got it narrowed down and can talk their master tech through it. Thanks for the help everyone. I’ll keep you posted on what ends up with the final diagnosis.

All new agm batteries lately especially running aux batteries seem to just be really horrible from the start, you know it’s an issue when trying to get oem batteries becomes a few week process.

joe@zauto

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler rubicon unlimited
If it’s a manual transmission and you go 35 inches or bigger then there’s a driving adaptation procedure to follow, for ESS to be happy.
I can email the procedure if needed.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
If it’s a manual transmission and you go 35 inches or bigger then there’s a driving adaptation procedure to follow, for ESS to be happy.
I can email the procedure if needed.
Op has an automatic. Actually from what he told me, Tazer JL Mini accomplished the programming and all was well.. 8-) So, not at all, a Tazer JL Mini related issue.

After the fact so to speak, the JL had the issues. It appears that the ESS not ready is most likely related to depleted or bad Aux battery.... is my guess.

OP, did mention, leaving ignition on for a very extended time and also the vehicle had been sitting lots and not being used much.

So, OP will trickle charge first before doing anything else. Hopefully, charging batteries(2) will remedy the issue.
There is a chance it will.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
please do and thanks!

My jeep wouldnt start yesterday, it sat for 4 days, hoping their battery isnt that lame that that is an issue. Just previous to that I was stopped at a light and my vehicle turned off despite having that feature turned off via Tazer. I looked down at the ESS light and was turned off. I dont think I hit it?? Regardless it turned the ESS off on startup.

After my no start incident I have a "take in for service" on my ESS.

Since you know the JK's so well I hope you end up knowing JL's as well and come up with a ESS battery delete. Unbelievably stupid setup! lol

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
please do and thanks!

My jeep wouldnt start yesterday, it sat for 4 days, hoping their battery isnt that lame that that is an issue. Just previous to that I was stopped at a light and my vehicle turned off despite having that feature turned off via Tazer. I looked down at the ESS light and was turned off. I dont think I hit it?? Regardless it turned the ESS off on startup.

Since you know the JK's so well I hope you end up knowing JL's as well and come up with a ESS battery delete. Unbelievably stupid setup! lol
The genesis dual battery setup deletes the ridiculous lower battery, but it's pricey.

OP
OP
Neohiofan

Neohiofan

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Well I let the tender pretty much charge for two days because I did not get a chance to get to it. I plugged the tazer in after updating the firmware, married it, set settings, reboot in the new sequence with no problems. Took her for a drive with the seatbelt on. Showed start stop ready after engine warmed up and worked like a champ. Hate the start stop. Hate the dealer. Thank you guys for helping me especially Rhinebeck01 who pm me and walked me through what really needed done. On my phone and can’t get your screen name as type if this. Not on to a lift decision.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Neohiofan

Invoice for the phone tech support, ect., is in the mail...:giggle:

Seriously, glad the remedy was a simple one.

I know it is very disconcerting, especially when you have an issue, and the frigggin dealer drops the ball like they did in this case.

Anyway, my pleasure brainstorming with you. Enjoy that JL !...

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@everyone

The OP ... his issue .... well a poster child so to speak, why you should absolutely, have a decent trickle charger and quality, battery jumper cables in your arsenal.

hotttdogggg

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Well here's the list of reasons from the owner's manual that will cause ESS to not be ready. I don't see anything about tires...

• Driver’s seat belt is not buckled.
• Driver’s door is not closed.
• Battery temperature is too warm or cold.
• Battery charge is low.
• The vehicle is on a steep grade.
• Cabin heating or cooling is in process and an acceptable cabin temperature has not been achieved.
• HVAC is set to full defrost mode at a high blower speed.
• HVAC set to MAX A/C.
• Engine has not reached normal operating temperature.
• Engine temperature too high.
• The transmission is not in a forward gear.
• Hood is open.
• Transfer case is in 4LO or Neutral.
• Brake pedal is not pressed with sufficient pressure.
• Accelerator pedal input.
• Vehicle speed threshold not achieved from previous auto-stop.
• Steering angle beyond threshold. (ESS Models Only)
• ACC is on and speed is set.
• Vehicle is at high altitude.
• System fault present.
Don't forget a recent fart in the driver's seat

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
please do and thanks!

OK my fix for my above situation was to:
Trickle charge for about a day an half despite voltages reading normal and several driving jaunts=ESS alarm
Unmarry Tazer
Partial reboot to exit
disco Tazer
Connect the two clips back to original position
ESS alarm for service still on jeep despite charging and several driving jaunts
Disconnect BOTH batteries and let sit for awhile.
Reconnect BOTH batteries- no alarm for several days...once again reminded of how much I hate ESS lol

Contacted Mr Tazer, he recommended to update from my 11.6 to 11.8
Went to website where my lack of patience led me to email direct.= excellent customer service, cant stress enough!
Good directions now but still confusing for a newbie, still easy enough.
Down loaded new firmware but havent installed tazer YET.

Hope this helps others with a similar issue.
Sponsored