Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
Just curious is it the start stop function itself that kills the battery? When I drive my Jeep everytime I'm at a stop and it shuts off and then starts back up I feel like its not good for the starter and other engine components. Off, On, Off, On, doesn't seem good. What's the point anyway?

Maybe it's best just to turn the start stop function off all together? I don't know I definitely have been considering it. What's the pros versus cons?
The batteries you get from the factory just suck
Pretty much what Sean said, the OEM batteries aren't great - plus factor in that car batteries typically have a 3-5 year lifespan of regular use and you get this. The things the ESS system does to the batteries/engine is fine mechanically.

If I were the OP, I'd just swap out the batteries, especially if his '20 MY is a '19 CY build date and he's running up on the low end of the projected battery lifespan.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Chieflet

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
@Chieflet

Do research in regard to the IBS sensor on a JL .... (how to reset and how it learns) rather then taking the info in that text for granted.

Also.... ask that service dept. for copies of the load test result print out from each of your batteries.
IF they cannot give you those or show you the 2 separate printouts, your 2 batteries were not load tested.

Also ..... If you have never been to .... Do, stop by Porkie's of Deland BBQ in Deland. Tell them to make your pulled pork sandwich with "Texas Toast".... and be sure as one of your side order's, to get their "dirty taters". Porkie's BBQ is my go to BBQ joint in that neck of the woods.
I did get a copy of the printout from the dealer showing the battery tests and they read batteries good.

db_racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Saraha
Had same issue same message on a 2020 JLU Sahara at around 10K. Stop start never kicked in. Didn't really care but brought to attention of dealer during oil change anyway. They replaced both batteries. Now at 27K and never had issue since the batteries were swapped.

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Unless you really use the start stop system you can disable the aux battery and never have to worry about it again. I personally run a start stop eliminator and my aux battery is disconnected. Once my warranty is up I will be taking that battery out and not replacing it. Here are a couple threads if you want to disable it. @Jebiruph in my opinion is the go to authority for the ESS system on this site.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jumperless-aux-battery-bypass.95945/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/forums/battery-talk.195/

Sponsored

slowcrawlerZJ

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 1982 CJ7, 2018 WK
Occupation
Retired Navy
Just curious is it the start stop function itself that kills the battery? When I drive my Jeep everytime I'm at a stop and it shuts off and then starts back up I feel like its not good for the starter and other engine components. Off, On, Off, On, doesn't seem good. What's the point anyway?

Maybe it's best just to turn the start stop function off all together? I don't know I definitely have been considering it. What's the pros versus cons?
The start/stop feature should have at least been an optional add on feature like everything else is. My personnel opinion is they are garbage in any vehicle they are in. Yes it does add extra wear and tear on components and doesn't save you anything on gas. It was the first thing I bypassed then removed the craptastic factory aux battery and went with a Genesis Offroad dual battery set up.

OP
OP

Chieflet

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
The start/stop feature should have at least been an optional add on feature like everything else is. My personnel opinion is they are garbage in any vehicle they are in. Yes it does add extra wear and tear on components and doesn't save you anything on gas. It was the first thing I bypassed then removed the craptastic factory aux battery and went with a Genesis Offroad dual battery set up.
This is something I intend to look at after my factory warranty is over.

OP
OP

Chieflet

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
Update, they installed the IBS Sensor now both batteries are reading low. They have sent another message to Chrysler STAR to find out their next step. They will be keeping my Jeep over the weekend. They will have had it for a week. I still think all it needed was the batteries replaced!! still at their mercy due to warranty.

Last edited:

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Update, the6 installed the IBS Sensor now both batteries are reading low. They have sent another message to Chrysler STAR to find out their next step. They will be keeping my Jeep over the weekend. They will have had it for a week. I still think all it needed was the batteries replaced!! still at their mercy due to warranty.
The trouble with getting work done at the dealer is, they are really tied to going step by step by the book exactly. Any Variance it not allowed...

Really sucks when a simpler solution isn't in the book.

Sponsored

CMTAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLURX Anvil
Had same issue same message on a 2020 JLU Willy's at 9200 (when i bought it).

First dealer replaced the IBS Sensor and the aux battery (after 3 visits). Then he wanted to the jeep for 'a few' days to do a load test and parasite drain. Told him to 'test the load' in the Men's room.

Second replaced the IBS Sensor and the main battery, the day after i opened a case with jeep. Eight months later - no issues.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
With all of the back and forth BS that everyone is having, I’ll just do my own battery replacement with a quality part at my cost. Driving back and forth to town, getting a ride back, waiting etc just isn’t worth it to me.

DWS44

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Box: 2022 JLUR 392 + '17 C7 GS & '21 C8 Vettes
Occupation
CAD/IT Manager (Civil/Airport Design)
With all of the back and forth BS that everyone is having, I’ll just do my own battery replacement with a quality part at my cost. Driving back and forth to town, getting a ride back, waiting etc just isn’t worth it to me.
That's what I did, though I was past the warranty anyways. Luckily my batteries lasted a little over three years before I started having issues. First, my ESS disappeared (always noted that it was charging, never kicked in). Finally after a few months of no ESS, I started getting an error on startup that "Aux Switches unavailable" or something along those lines. Once that started, I figured I was on borrowed time, so I replaced both batteries on my own with quality batteries. Error on startup went away immediately and ESS has worked normally since.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I’ll probably get rid of the small battery and go with a larger group, high CCA main battery. I have no need for ESS.

WildBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Super Duper Sting Gray Rubicon Wrangler. 2003 Jeep Wrangler - Freedom Edition
Occupation
Explorer of Blue Horizons, Lover of Wild Things...
This is something I intend to look at after my factory warranty is over.
2018 JLUR. I had this same dealer experience as you have described a year ago. After several dealership visits and the IBS sensor was replaced and it still didn’t “solve the problem” I gave up on the dealership…. I bought the genesis system, with 2 new full sized batteries, installed it myself and never looked back. Works just fine. I do a lot of camping out of the Jeep in remote areas so the Genesis system was a good option for me albeit an expensive option. Hope you get resolution soon and leave the dealership service dept in your rear view mirror.
Sponsored