Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
VP Information Technology
@llaslo can it be installed on a hardtop without removing the top?
Yes, I have the one-touch sky-view top (which can't be removed), and I was able to install it without issue. Now, on mine the rear quarter panels are removable. I don't think they are on a traditional hard-top. If that's the case, then you'd have to remove it, because the only way to get the side box on is to slide it over the roll cage perpendicular to how it will sit when it's installed. You won't be able to do that w/ the window in the way.

maddscot

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler Unlimited
This is on my short list of things to get for my JLUR. Glad to hear it is a quality product outside of the installation instructions and some milling. At the cost of the unit they should have counter sunk holes already and a decent hinge systems if they state it will open in that area. I will be looking for them to update some things...

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
The countersink divots are there, just not quite large enough to be perfect.

The countersink divots are perfect for the shorter 1" screws, and the instructions actually tell you to use those 1" screws, but you're supposed to use the 1.25" screws for those rear assemblies.

maddscot

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Has anyone reached back out to Squad Box to let them know improvements are needed for installation etc. I know in a previous thread that they seemed real open to fixing issues that were noted to them. They may be interested in getting a view into some of these forums as well... looks like a great product.

Sponsored

TheBigBadWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Firecracker (3 Pedal Version)
I have been eyeing one of these but do have a question. I have three car seats installed the two forward facing use the tether anchors on the back of the seats.

Can the seats be locked into place with the molle out? Looking at the Molle panel stand off it seems there is enough room for the car seat buckle.

Guess Iā€™m trying to find out how much room remains between the seat back and the panel.

I have one with two seats installed. I donā€™t have the mole out, but the tethers fit fine.

I am chasing a rattle, but I am pretty sure itā€™s not the box, I think its a soft top thing.

Agree with install, tough, doable. Just donā€˜t do what I did. Go through he JL instructions, then watch the video, then do JL instal. I watched the video and followed along, missing a JL specific step quite early in the instal and needed to re-do a substantial portion of the instal to rectify this missed step.

This thing is STOUT. The box mine came in weighed 107 pounds. I was standing on it when I was putting the soft top up.

As with others, the soft top does not ā€œlockā€ in place when top is down because the rear part of the box is flush with the tailgate bar, not allowing the top to dip down into the cargo area. I use the rail/tie down anchors to attach some Velcro around the top and then into the tie downs to keep everything nice and tight. No movement at all, and I have ZERO concerns of the top coming up with this method.

Owners are SUPER nice, VERY helpful, and quite responsive. They answer email relatively quickly, and offered phone support during instal.

American made. Iā€™m satisfied with the choice for sure.

maddscot

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
...Go through he JL instructions, then watch the video, then do JL instal. I watched the video and followed along, missing a JL specific step quite early in the instal and needed to re-do a substantial portion of the instal to rectify this missed step...
Do you have a link to the video? I have checked You Tube, their Facebook site etc. but could not find it. Thanks!

TheBigBadWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Firecracker (3 Pedal Version)
Do you have a link to the video? I have checked You Tube, their Facebook site etc. but could not find it. Thanks!
I will see if I can find it.
iirc they sent it to me in email. They hadnā€™t mad it long before so they may be working on getting it ā€œprime timeā€ ready.

SnoWhite

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Iā€˜ve silently been following along as I am very interested in Squadbox as well and thought I make myself useful, so there you go:

TylerU

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JLU
I installed mine about two months ago. I agree this product has great build quality but the instructions were abysmal!

One thing I will note is that if you have the rear gap cover with mopar mats I do not think they will fit with out modification. I ended up taking my off, Im not sure if Ill try to reinstall them or not.

Sponsored

Taanto

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 Wrangler
Has anyone reached back out to Squad Box to let them know improvements are needed for installation etc. I know in a previous thread that they seemed real open to fixing issues that were noted to them. They may be interested in getting a view into some of these forums as well... looks like a great product.
Squadbox will be using my jeep shortly for an install video. If you guys have specifics that you want passed along let me know. I will forward already mentioned concerns.

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
These bolts stick out about 1/4",
Jeep Wrangler JL Squadbox Install 1621188271777

I only bothered noticing and doing something because they chewed up the pool noodles I had in the back.

After a bit of de-installation, I pulled these two bolts out and cut them down 1/4". I think a 1/4" was a little too much, probably should've just cut 3/16", but they're still biting into the nylon of the locking nuts.
Jeep Wrangler JL Squadbox Install 1621188147927

Now, I can haul pool noodles (and other things) without worry of them being damaged or snagged on those bolts.

SnoWhite

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
These bolts stick out about 1/4",

I only bothered noticing and doing something because they chewed up the pool noodles I had in the back.

After a bit of de-installation, I pulled these two bolts out and cut them down 1/4". I think a 1/4" was a little too much, probably should've just cut 3/16", but they're still biting into the nylon of the locking nuts.

Now, I can haul pool noodles (and other things) without worry of them being damaged or snagged on those bolts.
Couldnā€˜t you just have put the bolts in the opposite direction, i.e. bolt head on the inside of the cargo bay and the lock nut hidden behind the side panel? - I hope you donā€˜t mind me asking, but I have the Squadbox sitting in my garage, just havenā€™t found the time for the install yet... So I am now gathering as much info about the install as I can!

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If you point those un-cut bolts away from the center of the Jeep, the thread side hits the plastic surrounding the subwoofer. If you cut the bolts, and then similarly point these shortened bolts away from the center of the jeep, the nylock nuts will hit the plastic surrounding the subwoofer.

Fractions of an inch matter in that spot. When I originally installed the subwoofer side, I pointed the nuts towards the center of the Jeep and I used washers in the bolts. Then, I wondered why the SquadBox wall seemed to curve and bow out a bit - it was because those bolt heads were pressing against the plastic surrounding the subwoofer. I removed the washers, so the bolt heads would lie lower and no longer touch the plastic surrounding the subwoofer.

I honestly can't remember if the instructions explicitly stated not to use washers with those bolts. But I suspect they did, because...I do remember thinking I had been shorted by two washers and adding a couple of washers from my ferreteria stash,...which I really didn't need to use, after all, LOL.

SnoWhite

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
If you point those un-cut bolts away from the center of the Jeep, the thread side hits the plastic surrounding the subwoofer. If you cut the bolts, and then similarly point these shortened bolts away from the center of the jeep, the nylock nuts will hit the plastic surrounding the subwoofer.

Fractions of an inch matter in that spot. When I originally installed the subwoofer side, I pointed the nuts towards the center of the Jeep and I used washers in the bolts. Then, I wondered why the SquadBox wall seemed to curve and bow out a bit - it was because those bolt heads were pressing against the plastic surrounding the subwoofer. I removed the washers, so the bolt heads would lie lower and no longer touch the plastic surrounding the subwoofer.

I honestly can't remember if the instructions explicitly stated not to use washers with those bolts. But I suspect they did, because...I do remember thinking I had been shorted by two washers and adding a couple of washers from my ferreteria stash,...which I really didn't need to use, after all, LOL.
@Taanto: Could you please ask Tyler about this issue? Iā€˜d appreciate it so much! Do you already have a date planned for the install?
Sponsored