Spare too high?

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ā€˜18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
ln my new 35s i have the Mopar reinforcement and rough country bracket with the one tire carrier. My spare is not moving but I noticed there is no bumper holding it up against the body.
Then i read somewhere the tire should fit without the bracket so it will sit lower.
Here is what it looks like

upload_2019-3-1_11-20-13.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here the side view

0319E365-BE46-4F30-9E4E-BD6060212DC7.jpeg

LeoTheDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
It looks a bit high but that's because you "only" have 35's and aftermarket carriers are set higher typically to accommodate for 37+ tires.

Not really an issue as long as there's some sort of support/stabilizer/damper that the spare can rest on so it's not putting additional strain on the tailgate.

Though if you don't ever plan on going larger than 35's, the stock carrier will do just fine - I have the reinforcement kit and stock carrier with 35's and there's no issue at all.

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It looks a bit high but that's because you "only" have 35's and aftermarket carriers are set higher typically to accommodate for 37+ tires.

Not really an issue as long as there's some sort of support/stabilizer/damper that the spare can rest on so it's not putting additional strain on the tailgate.

Though if you don't ever plan on going larger than 35's, the stock carrier will do just fine - I have the reinforcement kit and stock carrier with 35's and there's no issue at all.
I can remove the rough country the rough country then and it will come down a bit. Good to know.
I am definitely not going bugger. I am not sure about the 35s yet. Only been driving in them a couple of days. Love the look. Still getting used to the feel and hoping the excess weight wonā€™t be an issue long term.

Sponsored

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
I have a tire relocation kit and the MOPAR tailgate reinforcement, which comes with longer bump stops. Even with the longer bump stops, the chair end tips didnā€™t touch the tire, so I added a piece of plastic tube (1ā€ PVC will work) with the chair tip on the end and itā€™s great. Not moved a bit. The key is to get it long enough where the tire has pressure to keep the bump stop from moving.

I can take a pic if needed.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
I am running 35s with no reinforcement kit or raisers for about 7k miles now no issues fitting for signs of trail gate damage. For bumpers just got a set of jk bumper they are s little longer and for me right length

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a tire relocation kit and the MOPAR tailgate reinforcement, which comes with longer bump stops. Even with the longer bump stops, the chair end tips didnā€™t touch the tire, so I added a piece of plastic tube (1ā€ PVC will work) with the chair tip on the end and itā€™s great. Not moved a bit. The key is to get it long enough where the tire has pressure to keep the bump stop from moving.

I can take a pic if needed.
I saw a video where they used hockey pucks.

Zoobie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
As others have said, you don't need the Rough Country bracket for 35's. Only for 37+
Sponsored