First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL unlimited sport s
Occupation
Delphi
I have this Ace Engineering Tire Delete as well. I will be installing it soon. I can not find Youtube video install for some reason!!
Sponsored

NathanG

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I purchased the Ace spare tire delete kit the other day. It looked like a promising design, clean, logo free, nice goemetric shape.

Upon receipt there were oh, a half dozen things wrong with the design.

1. Metal on metal on the edges. It reuses the factory bolts to attach to the tailgate. This is fine except it uses the tailgate to secure it along the edge of the plate. Over time and vibration this will wear thru the paint creating a literal tramp stamp of rust. Unacceptable. I had to go to the hardware store and buy spacers and washers to space it with a small gap. That was fun taking it off and on four times to make it even..

2. It ruins the angle of the rear view camera. It is pointed almost level to the ground, making the parking lines comical useless. This reduces the utility of having a rear view camera for parking or backing up close to cars or curbs.

3. Attaching the rear view camera is done with three tiny screws and nuts. The nuts are too large to fit the camera flange and must be installed facing out. All the photos show the screw heads outside, but without dremeling out my camera housing this is impossible. A simple bracket with tapped holes would have prevented this.

3. The supplied third brake light is a joke. I saw this and immediately decided not to use it. I drilled three holes in the top of the camera mount and pretty easily re-used the factory third brake light. This allowed not modifying the factory harness whatsoever. It even looks pretty cool up there. By drilling these holes I was prevented from returning the plate. My mistake.

4. The supplied licence plate light is a 2$ piece of garbage and shorted out immediately upon hooking up. It had an internal short that melted the super tiny thin ass impossible to strip and crimp wires.

5. Directions? who needs directions... None supplied or on any website. Used another manufacturers youtube video to figure out the wiring.

6. The stock wiring harness is pinched by the plate. Unless you spend an hour or two messing with spacers and washers to provide clearance....

Honestly if they supplied spacers, fixed the camera angle, and allowed you the option of reusing the third brake light, this would be the best plate on the market.

Other than that is its a nice product!

Last edited:

jlsahara

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I purchased the Ace spare tire delete kit the other day. It looked like a promising design, clean, logo free, nice goemetric shape.

Upon receipt there were oh, a half dozen things wrong with the design.

1. Metal on metal on the edges. It reuses the factory bolts to attach to the tailgate. This is fine except it uses the tailgate to secure it along the edge of the plate. Over time and vibration this will wear thru the paint creating a literal tramp stamp of rust. Unacceptable. I had to go to the hardware store and buy spacers and washers to space it with a small gap. That was fun taking it off and on four times to make it even..

2. It ruins the angle of the rear view camera. It is pointed almost level to the ground, making the parking lines comical useless. This reduces the utility of having a rear view camera for parking or backing up close to cars or curbs.

3. Attaching the rear view camera is done with three tiny screws and nuts. The nuts are too large to fit the camera flange and must be installed facing out. All the photos show the screw heads outside, but without dremeling out my camera housing this is impossible. A simple bracket with tapped holes would have prevented this.

3. The supplied third brake light is a joke. I saw this and immediately decided not to use it. I drilled three holes in the top of the camera mount and pretty easily re-used the factory third brake light. This allowed not modifying the factory harness whatsoever. It even looks pretty cool up there. By drilling these holes I was prevented from returning the plate. My mistake.

4. The supplied licence plate light is a 2$ piece of garbage and shorted out immediately upon hooking up. It had an internal short that melted the super tiny thin ass impossible to strip and crimp wires.

5. Directions? who needs directions... None supplied or on any website. Used another manufacturers youtube video to figure out the wiring.

6. The stock wiring harness is pinched by the plate. Unless you spend an hour or two messing with spacers and washers to provide clearance....

Honestly if they supplied spacers, fixed the camera angle, and allowed you the option of reusing the third brake light, this would be the best plate on the market.

Other than that is its a nice product!
Where are your pics! I really just want to see your stock brake light solution.

Sponsored

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
For sale: Slightly modified ACE spare tire delete with spacers so it doesnt ruin your paint and drilled to re use stock brake light.... 50$
Hey!... Are you selling it for real?

wv18jl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL

jlsahara

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Supposed to sell TJ half doors tomorrow ...
Will buy one as soon as I do ...
By far the best setup imo.

Thanks for the link!
Np. Please oost pics when you get it on. I’m really considering this.

SubZero_JL

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
Military
Found one from Artec industries that I really like! The system keeps factory 3rd brake light for those states requiring it and has a pug and play system with the license plate light being plug and play. Link is below! Will post pictures one installed.

https://www.artecindustries.com/JL_Spare_Delete_PC

SubZero_JL

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military
Finally redid and hid the wiring and got my new plate. Colored the nuts and screws with a sharpie marker, so that helped. Looks a little better I guess.

75E0CFBE-26D3-467A-9B18-29CB2B66DF8B.jpeg

ADAE4D74-8194-4362-884E-E1AEC33D841B.jpeg

2CF08760-F557-4856-B9B8-5EA43F49045C.jpeg

01CB3597-C4E2-4236-A6D3-C2BB7A7FC214.jpeg

C87BFDA4-CB23-4BD2-A4B5-152E58E8CC53.jpeg
I ordered this license plate kit and was wondering about how I'm going to have an extra license plate spot. Decided to go with the American flag blue/green line to place on it! Great idea! The kit I got is attached below
https://www.artecindustries.com/JL_Spare_Delete_PC

Sponsored

SubZero_JL

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military

Zazoh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer
Installed mine today.

Bit frustrating without instructions. I like the brake light that comes with. Nice and bright. The wires are way too thin for the butt connectors they supply. I soldered mine then used heat shrink.

Didn’t use LED for lic plate. May at a later date. Left lic plate at OEM location. Installing muted gray and black flag plate. So didn’t want to light it.

No the real project begins. Installing spare in cargo area without totally loosing storage area. Thinking of false floor.

I’ve owned 3 wranglers and iconic as it is, I’ve never like the tire hanging off the back.

NathanG

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Installed mine today.

Bit frustrating without instructions. I like the brake light that comes with. Nice and bright. The wires are way too thin for the butt connectors they supply. I soldered mine then used heat shrink.

Didn’t use LED for lic plate. May at a later date. Left lic plate at OEM location. Installing muted gray and black flag plate. So didn’t want to light it.

No the real project begins. Installing spare in cargo area without totally loosing storage area. Thinking of false floor.

I’ve owned 3 wranglers and iconic as it is, I’ve never like the tire hanging off the back.
My 35 wouldn't fit laying down with seats up. I wonder what the max weight the stock tie downs are rated for.... I tried standing it up but with two tie down straps it is still wobbly and I dont think it would last for serious wheeling.

Zazoh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer
My 35 wouldn't fit laying down with seats up. I wonder what the max weight the stock tie downs are rated for.... I tried standing it up but with two tie down straps it is still wobbly and I dont think it would last for serious wheeling.
My 33 just fits flat. I’m thinking of also putting at an angle Baja style, it blocks rear view some but can always pop on rear camera. I have a few ideas ... I’ll share when done. May only take off road as most flats in town are in my driveway. Also run with a compressor and plug kit.

McBeeve

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2-door Rubicon
Occupation
Facilities Administrator
Hey @Zazoh ...how about a pic or two whenever you get a chance please. ;)
Sponsored