Sponsored

MikeJLUR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 4 door Rubicon
Which soft top do you have? If you don't have the premium that would be the upgrade you need to do.

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Go test drive a soft top. I have the premium top and have no issues with outside noise. Yes, slightly more noise when doing 75mph but nothing that requires you to speak louder when having a conversation.

Sponsored

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
To Kevin's @dsgrey's point Bob @Bgrounds you've got to first determine if the sound level without sound deadening materials is acceptable to your threshold--if you haven't.

To the question, "but do these sound deadening materials work on a soft top," I'd say....

sub-optimally. I've always felt such headliners, soft or hard, are first temperature regulating products for hot weather before sound deadening ones.

I don't own one. If I didn't live in the Northeast and rather, say, Arizona, I definitely would.

Funny though, when running the Bestop Sunrider product it was too noisy for me to have a conversation with my wife while highway driving. While some say that might be a feature, to address it I bought a moving blanket, grommet kit and ball bungees from Harbor Freight. I cut the blanket to size, plus 4" on all cut sides, then folded it over at 2" and installed grommets.

You can then put the ball bungees on to the Sports Bar (and through the grommets,) and maybe connect them to the top's latches in front so it opens with the top. This fix made the JL quiet enough (not quiet) for conversation at high speeds.

Cheers.

beammmer

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL two-door, 2017 X5, 1973 2002
Want quiet? Buy a Mercedes.

OP
OP

Bgrounds

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Jl
not trying to sound deaden the soft top but was wondering if I sound deadened the rest of the vehicle would it make a noticeable difference while having a soft top...

@beammmer thanks for the insight and intelligent dialog, much appreciated.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
not trying to sound deaden the soft top but was wondering if I sound deadened the rest of the vehicle would it make a noticeable difference while having a soft top...

All I know is that the day I first switched from my hard top (with Mopar headliners) to my soft top I noticed a huge difference. Not so much in wind noise necessarily, but other noise like passing semis on freeways. I still remember when I first started the engine in my garage after the swap I had to look back to make sure I put the soft top windows in because the sound kinda startled me. I'm not complaining by any means, it's a thin layer of twill - gotta manage your expectations.

beammmer

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL two-door, 2017 X5, 1973 2002
Wow, touchy.

@beammmer thanks for the insight and intelligent dialog, much appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Sponsored

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler

Given the large amount of sound made as the soft top cuts the wind--at higher speeds at least--I don't think sound deadening the other areas is worth the time or expense in terms of cutting down noise.

Ksvette

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu sport s
Maybe I am the minority, but my soft top really isn't that loud. I can have a normal conversation going 80. Curious.... maybe it is the sound cancellation tech of the Alpine and 2.0 combo. I wonder if that could be added?

BillMcC

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon x 4xe
Occupation
Retired
Sound deadening definitely helps with road noise regardless off hard/soft top. I put Dynamat in my 2013 JK floors and doors and it make a big difference IMO. Also improves the sound system. I will probably do my new Rubicon if i can just keep it in my garage longer than the dealers garage!

JINO

First Name
Jino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jlurd
I agree also that it will help, but it won't be a huge improvement. Jeeps are loud by default.

But a high quality system will definitely help. Demo some sound at a good stereo shop.
I listened to a few, aiming for sound quality instead of concert loud. Ds18 is definitely concert loud, but I think it sounds terrible in terms of quality.
Sponsored