Sponsored

Softtop Question

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
I am begrudgingly considering taking off the ST and putting on the HT for the Fall/Winter soon.

I still have the original ST box to put it in. Wondering if I should treat it with anything before storing it?

Also, this meme describes our Midwest weather quite well.

Jeep Wrangler JL Softtop Question FB_IMG_1663126981564
Sponsored

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
I do the same except I brush it on with a paint brush and then let it sit in the sun and dry before storing. But that won't be for a while still, I am in New England and the weather does change fast but I won't remove till Halloween or so.

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I hang mine on the wall in my garage on ladder hangers. I bought the mopar bag for the windows. The soft top stays on some jeeps year around, outside. They seem pretty robust.

webwbr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Sting Gray
Occupation
Amateur Cynic/Professional Skeptic

Sponsored

cripton805

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport w/ 6sp
Why change it? Is there any benefit to the hardtop vs. soft top?

Is it warmer?

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
I wrap mine in shrink wrap before storing it for the winter. Keeps it closed and protected. 2 person job to get it nice and snug for me.

falcon241073

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Can you elaborate on the Plexus? For example, do you see it merely as a protectant or does it help with scuff marks? Or just a good cleaner for good clear plastic?

I worry about those windows… they seem so delicate to me. (I store them in the Mopar bag too)
Plexus and the bestop window cleaner both work similar. They both do basically all that. It helps protect and clean the soft top windows and they will help clear up small light scratches. Sometimes. Neither are miracle products but they help. Always use soft micro fiber towels. And clean all dirt off the windows before final cleaning with the plexus or bestop window cleaner. I usually spray the window with water (not high pressure) to make sure dust and heavy dirt is removed. Either let air dry or use a micro fiber towel to dry by softly pulling it across the window In One direction. Do not use circular motion when washing or drying windows. Swirls happen easier than straight line micro scratches. Same process on paint. Always light pressure when drying. The plexus or bestop window cleaner is kind of like a cleaner wax for the plastic windows.

sorry that was so long and if I rambled.

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Can you elaborate on the Plexus? For example, do you see it merely as a protectant or does it help with scuff marks? Or just a good cleaner for good clear plastic?

I worry about those windows… they seem so delicate to me. (I store them in the Mopar bag too)
Please see @falcon241073's reply.

Sponsored

Jtclayton612

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Why change it? Is there any benefit to the hardtop vs. soft top?

Is it warmer?
snow loads are the big worry I would imagine. Or extreme cold like you get up further north into the negatives. My soft top was fine in 5F otherwise, the heaters in the JL could cook you a nice crisp brown I’m pretty sure.

jc1003

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sahara, 2019 Pacifica, 2016 CX-9, 2023 Hornet
Occupation
IT
We had the soft top windows wrapped in Stek paint film. They did both inside and out and it looks great and no scratches yet. I cannot tell a difference.

20220608_120600.jpg

webwbr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Sting Gray
Occupation
Amateur Cynic/Professional Skeptic
Plexus and the bestop window cleaner both work similar. They both do basically all that. It helps protect and clean the soft top windows and they will help clear up small light scratches. Sometimes. Neither are miracle products but they help. Always use soft micro fiber towels. And clean all dirt off the windows before final cleaning with the plexus or bestop window cleaner. I usually spray the window with water (not high pressure) to make sure dust and heavy dirt is removed. Either let air dry or use a micro fiber towel to dry by softly pulling it across the window In One direction. Do not use circular motion when washing or drying windows. Swirls happen easier than straight line micro scratches. Same process on paint. Always light pressure when drying. The plexus or bestop window cleaner is kind of like a cleaner wax for the plastic windows.

sorry that was so long and if I rambled.
Wow... great answer. Thank you, and the devil in in the details; so I see your self ascribed rambling as super helpful.

Any reccos on a good brand of microfiber towel? I swear the ones I have leave more lint (or what appears to be lint) behind than a regular towel. I don't wash them with anything other than a mild all clear soap and never use a fabric softener.

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

I cleaned my windows with Mequiar's PlastX and stored them in the window bag. I gently rinsed the fabric top with a pressure washer taking care to not get the wand too close. After it fully dried I wrapped it back up in the cover that came with the soft top. I have it both the soft top and window bag hanging from the wall in the garage

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Trey provides a great answer regarding the value of a quality polish like Plexus, etc.

If you're interested in a stronger restorative product for micro-swirls and such on soft top windows, consider the Novus kit. I discovered the brand in the mid-90s when I purchased a new YJ. It's still around, all these years later, because it works quite well when used according to the directions.
Sponsored