Soft top or hard top?

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
I wanted the soft top and only looked for them. I bought my Jeep off then lot and it came with the standard top. I do not regret this because of the deal I received. But if I was ordering my Jeep, I would spring for the premium top. When my current top needs replacement years down the road. I will order a premium replacement top.
Sponsored

Dryver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe "Bridgette"
Dual Top Group, but I'm starting to think I should have gone Sky One Touch. The back glass window would have been a useful year- round fixture to let my dog in and out of the back. Third Wrangler, and have had both hard and soft for all three. I bought the soft tops off of Craigslist for the first two.

Bags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon 2D
I had soft tops for both my YJ and TJ, and loved them both.

Then I bought a used JK with a hard top, and was miserable until I bought the Bestop, top. As bad as that top was, I stilled preferred that over the (heavy hard top). I lowered the soft top everyday I was able to.

Now I have a soft top again on my new JL. oh and with half doors (as with the YJ and TJ) I am in heaven again.
With the new JL’s, the top goes down and up so fast that I can’t imagine any other option for me to drive on a daily basis.

btw…. I have only had 2 door Jeep’s.

Sponsored

Yogi1956

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
Clubs

I’m hoping Bestop comes out with the glass rear window soft top like they had for the JK but not seeing it yet on the website unless it was discontinued. I’d get tan with the sarge green. MOPAR has the premium tan on their parts website now and a small discount from my local dealer when ordered online.

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

I ordered with hard top and found a barely used twill soft top locally. I have room in my garage and installed a harken hoist.
Only able to run the soft top for a week this year as I got my Jeep 9/2 and fall showed up here a few days ago.
will switch back to the soft top in April for the summer

mgarciaknight

First Name
MG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU80
I had a hard top with my 2016 JKUS and only took it off two times in five years. When I ordered my 2021 JLU80, I wanted nothing more than a premium soft top. I couldn't be any happier! Love it! So easy to put down and up. And well made.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I have the dual top group. I like the looks of the soft top and the convertible functionalty. Don’t like the poor access to the rear of the vehicle with the soft top or inability to run soft top through a car wash. The hardtop
Is far better on the highway….less noisy.

PA JLUR

First Name
Cos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Jeep Wrangler JL Soft top or hard top? C4D4891C-582B-4C8C-84C2-01C800149C64

Premium soft top is my jam! Flips back in 15secs. Quiet enough for me to chitchat with a passenger at 75mph with top on full doors on..

Also scooped up BestopPremium Softdoors for more convenient doorless driving. They are not so quiet beyond 45mph.

Sponsored

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
If you have the room for storage, I would recommend the dual tops. I have dual tops, I originally wanted SOT but it wasn’t available in Hella Yella for 2021 or the model I wanted. I was thinking about converting it to SOT but after having the soft top on for the summer, I am glad that I bought the dual top.

JLUandCJ-7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara w/mods
Vehicle Showcase
I'll let you know soon. I just put my soft top on for the first time in 2 years.

20210919_150413.jpg
@Moose568

My first day (fresh) comparison between the two:

1) The soft top is louder. I don't care what people say on other posts. It lets noise in where noise didn't get in before (think traffic noise from back 3/4s). Best I can compare it, it sounds like the rear windows are cracked a bit and need to be rolled the whole way up. Road noise from the vehicle, and perhaps total decibel level, is on par with a hardtop, but that big rig coming up on your twenty will sound like it is in the vehicle. I've done side roads and 70 mph.

2) It is not as easy to keep cool - The hardtop does indeed do better in hot and humid weather. I will be keeping my hardtop on during the summer months in the heat and humidity of Charleston, SC. I'll have the hardtop hoisted in the garage when not in use.

3) The added security of the hardtop is nice.

4) That all being said... The soft top is undeniably cooler, especially when down, and more functional. I have the sunrider for hardtop, but the coolness of that vs a full drop top isn't even close to comparable. Prior year's soft tops look unkempt, but this one is tight.

I'm happy with the soft top, and if not for the Charleston summers, I would likely keep it on year round, unless I was taking a long-ass roadtrip (like 10+ hours one way). In that case, I would go through the trouble of popping the hardtop and freedom panels on.

I'm sure I'll get annoyed at not having a typical rear window opening on the tailgate, but that's the only true functional tradeoff I can imagine.

Jeep Wrangler JL Soft top or hard top? 20210919_165351

Jeep Wrangler JL Soft top or hard top? 20210919_165404

Jeep Wrangler JL Soft top or hard top? 20210713_143149

Last edited:

mferrara91

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
I just ordered my first Jeep. I got a granite jLU Rubicon. I got the premium soft top because I figured the hard top would not get taken off much. Did I make the right decision? Anyone regret not getting the soft top?
Excellent choice. I bought my Jeep with a hard top because due to lack of inventory that’s all they had. I bought a soft top (Mopar twill of of FB Marketplace) and had planned on keeping the hard top too. My friend convinced me to sell the hard top. My Jeep is my second vehicle and garage kept so the top isn’t exposed to the elements. Best choice I ever made and love the freedom of putting the top down whenever I want and putting it back up just as quick.

dougiebros

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
Don't see many up here, some military personnel move up with them but never for sale new.

Does the super cold damage them at all? I know the older soft top plastic windows could be brittle but not sure about new ones.
Not sure about the JL soft tops, but we have a premium soft top for our JK that's held up very well in Michigan winters. We got a few weeks of well below zero temps and the plastic is fine. I'll find out how the JL top does this year.

I'm sure Alaska winters are a bit more harsh though.
Sponsored