thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Soft top all the way. Our hard top gets used once or twice a year for ski trips can carry all the stuff. Hardtop looks great, but as with other things NAKED is more fun. Never had a problem keeping cool in Texas heat or warm during snovid for Texas -7.

Screenshot_20210922-230409_Photos.jpg

20210215_120423~2.jpg

Screenshot_20210922-225926_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20210922-230305_Photos.jpg

20200712_180203~2.jpg

Screenshot_20210922-230226_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20210922-232343_Photos.jpg
Sponsored

hunterjack

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Rubicon
I just ordered and took delivery of my second Wrangler JL. The first one had a painted hard top. I liked the aesthetic, as well as its durability and functionality, although I didn't have an ideal space to store a hard top.

After much thought, I ultimately selected the premium soft top on my factory Wrangler order, as I anticipate enjoying the Wrangler ownership experience more with the top off and appreciate the convenience the soft top provides.

Last edited:

Andrew2311

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I got the premium soft top because I love the open air driving and storing the hard top would be too difficult. I don’t regret my decision one bit. I got a Diabolical Slipstream for secure storage.

Jeep Wrangler JL Soft top or hard top? Screenshot_20210922-232343_Photos
Where did you get that slipstream??

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKURHR
There’s no wrong choice. I prefer hard tops for overlanding because, in camp, I am often cooking and working out of the back of the Jeep. The flip-up glass is just sooo much easier than dealing with the plastic rear window.

But as with all things in life, YMMV. I certainly understand the appeal of the soft top. I hope you love it.

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
Soft top is ideal when warm out. Hard top for winter and highway travel (much quieter). Dual is a way to go if you have winters.

Sponsored

Trainman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Willys 2dr
I live in Texas where it is hot more then cold, I got the premium soft top and very happy with it year around. You will have to run the A/C on full when it's in the upper 90's outside, but it's a Jeep. You will also have to run the heater on full when it's in the 30's, it's a Jeep.

Swagger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I bought mine with the soft top and love it. But...depends on what you want to do with the Jeep. If you want to overland with it, it is much easier to do this with a hard top, due to it being easier to add a rack for a roof top tent. Racks for soft tops are more expensive, and can cause flapping of the soft top.
There have been times I wanted to bring a canoe or kayak with me and been limited by the soft top.
Also, adding a light bar above the windshield to a soft top can cause flapping and extra noise too, so consider this when making your decision.
There are also inside accessories in the back end like racks and refrigerators that won't work with a soft top because it partially folds within the back end and the soft top will not fold all the way down. So think about these things before you decide.

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
For me it’s the colour matching hardtop + Toplift Pro. When the top comes off i really want to go topless and have no straps showing…lol

Gunfighter

First Name
P.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude
Occupation
Trying not to get warning points
Vehicle Showcase
Decided on a hard top (kinda have too with the HA), but that's what I wanted. Could have gotten a soft top with it, but really not needed. For a little sunshine the freedom panels are easy to remove and install. I do have a motor pulley system on my garage roof that lifts the hard top up and out of the way. Removing the hard top is super easy and fast enough.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
My mission brief for the Jeep was such that I could accommodate a soft top, if it passed muster during at least two separate test drives. One thing I don't miss about my YJ was the godawful noise made by its soft top, from new, at anything above 45 mph. In comparison, the sail cloth soft top on my JLU is virtually silent up to 60 mph or so, and not so bad at all above that speed. Pass.

I quickly adjusted to the sound of passing traffic in a convertible Jeep, too (vis-a-vis being in a vehicle with a hardtop), and now I don't even take notice of it anymore.

Does the super cold damage them at all? I know the older soft top plastic windows could be brittle but not sure about new ones.
Pennsylvania winters are cold enough in their own right, but I've not noticed any brittleness when handwashing the Jeep in my driveway on a Saturday morning in January. Just remember to never wipe a dirty vinyl window with a dry cloth. I do use Plexus polish religiously to preserve the appearance and clarity of the clear panels, particularly during the cold months. It works.

Don’t like the poor access to the rear of the vehicle with the soft top...
I timed myself disengaging (raising) and then reinstalling (lowering) the soft top's rear window, for the purpose of loading and unloading cargo. With a bit of practice and without being in a rush, my average time for each task is eight seconds. I do wonder why this is recurringly suggested to be a hardship.

WilhelmSR

First Name
Wilhelm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella JLUR
Jeep Wrangler JL Soft top or hard top? 1632615500781
Sponsored