Soft top only folks- any regrets?

thundermuffin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Soft top
Only regret is serious lack of rooftop storage options. Otherwise, I absolutely love the soft top - with the heated steering wheel and seats, I can go to 30 degrees before I start closing the top. Also, cruising around with the top down in winter builds character for my kids in the backseat :)
Sponsored

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve had 6 jeeps, YJs, JKs and now my JL. I’ve had a hard top for 2 of them, and it sat in the garage 99% of the time. I live in GA, so there’s no snow build up, which would be my only concern in the winter. The heater and my seats are more than enough to keep me warm.

if you live or work in a sketchy area, I can see the benefits of a hard top from a security standpoint, though. But just don’t leave stuff in the Jeep and you’re good.

I bought it to go topless, so the hard top would defeat the purpose for me.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Only regret is serious lack of rooftop storage options. Otherwise, I absolutely love the soft top - with the heated steering wheel and seats, I can go to 30 degrees before I start closing the top. Also, cruising around with the top down in winter builds character for my kids in the backseat :)
How do the plastic window panels install in the cold ? Does the fabric shrink , make reinstalling sides, rear window difficult? Lastly, is yours Twill, or vinyl ? I would love a top that can be opened in cold weather, but it also has to close up. Thanks in advance !

Coach53

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep JL sport, 1999 TJ
Occupation
Retired
No regrets at all and actually didn't even consider a hardtop for the JL. The heater works fantastic so no issues with any cold weather. The soft top has no drip edge so water will drip in when raining and door is opened. Rear window does have to be detached and flipped up if something tall (like a animal kennal) needs to be put in the back, but most stuff like groceries and 50lb bags of dog food can be slid in the back without detaching the back window.
We have a TJ with a soft top and there is a huge difference in noise levels between the TJ/JL while driving. The JL has more road noise than my truck but is so much quieter than the TJ. Imo road noise in the JL with soft top is not an issue

Sponsored

thundermuffin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Soft top
How do the plastic window panels install in the cold ? Does the fabric shrink , make reinstalling sides, rear window difficult? Lastly, is yours Twill, or vinyl ? I would love a top that can be opened in cold weather, but it also has to close up. Thanks in advance !
I haven't run into any issues installing the windows in the winter (down to ~ 10-15 degrees). The edges just pop into place once you get it threaded on the slider thingie at the top. I went with the Twill.

Gummiente62

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gummiente62.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sport, 97 C5 Corvette, 03 HD FXD
Occupation
Retired
No regrets with the soft top. The heater in these things is fecking awesome and even on a -17C morning it doesn't take long for it to get comfy. Ditto all the previous comments about the rear window, but you learn to live with it. The dog knows to go flat when he's being lifted into the back and not overfilling the grocery bags allows them to slide easily under the bottom rail but, yeah, it's still a PITA. I find the noise level to be quite acceptable when it's all buttoned up and it is an absolute hoot to motor about with the top down. Really, if you don't find yourself smiling at least once when the wind and sun are massaging your scalp you should sell the Jeep, buy a Prius and move in with the Grinch.

The only thing I really don't like is that you can't take the windows with you once they're removed, so if you don't want to get caught in a downpour you need to thoroughly check the weather forecast before heading out.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
No regrets with the soft top. The heater in these things is fecking awesome and even on a -17C morning it doesn't take long for it to get comfy. Ditto all the previous comments about the rear window, but you learn to live with it. The dog knows to go flat when he's being lifted into the back and not overfilling the grocery bags allows them to slide easily under the bottom rail but, yeah, it's still a PITA. I find the noise level to be quite acceptable when it's all buttoned up and it is an absolute hoot to motor about with the top down. Really, if you don't find yourself smiling at least once when the wind and sun are massaging your scalp you should sell the Jeep, buy a Prius and move in with the Grinch.

The only thing I really don't like is that you can't take the windows with you once they're removed, so if you don't want to get caught in a downpour you need to thoroughly check the weather forecast before heading out.
But you can take the windows with you! See here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/mopar-soft-top-window-storage-bag-review.13235/

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Not a big deal in the summer, top is down a lot. But its windy all the time here and the sides on the soft top shake and can make quite a bit of noise in a crosswind. I am really glad i went with dual tops. But if i was in a year round warm climate i probably would just went with the soft only.

78cj7-18lj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangle Sahara JLU
Occupation
Retired
NO! But the rear window is a pain. My first Jeep was a 78 cj7 soft top and doors in NE Ohio. So to me a Jeep has a soft top! Finally I'll be the fool driving around in December with the top down and heat blasting while grinning ear to ear .

Sponsored

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
I also have to say that with the soft top the road noise in the cabin is a relatively low level. I’ve easily had phone conversations via Uconnect at highway speeds with no issues.

Gummiente62

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gummiente62.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sport, 97 C5 Corvette, 03 HD FXD
Occupation
Retired
I had seen that on the Mopar site a couple months ago, but figured with the top down, rear seat removed and the dog on his blanket in the cargo area that big jeezus bag will still be in the way. I'm not keen on having to bend any of the windows, either. Those plastic guide rods on the side and rear windows don't look like they could withstand a lot of flexing.

DonBindas

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered a 2020 JL Rubicon Unlimited in Bikini with Dark Saddle Leather on 7-8-19 and was delivered by Criswell 8-22-19
Occupation
KBB Analyst
Sorry to sound like the Grinch, but why would anyone want to screw around with the bulky factory soft top when you have one of these?

Bestop-Trektop-Sunrider-Jeep-JL-Wrangler-Soft-Top-780x405.jpg

rs=w:600,h:600.jpg

And one of these:

diabolical-inc-slipstream-.jpg

CallMeJoe

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Weird... My 2018 JLUR Mopar softtop has hard drip rails. Mine doesn't drip or rain in. My son's 2018 JLS hardtop drips on you when you open the door, but mine doesn't...
Sponsored