Sponsored

Soft Top Issues....the complete list in one spot

TonkaToy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep TJ and 2018 Jeep JL (both yellow 2 door Sport)
I finally got my soft top today for my 2 door (got my jeep on August 24th). First, gotta say I absolutely hate this design and I miss the ease, quickness and simplicity of my TJ soft top of the last 18 years. This top is just too much...and that's before even talking about what it does when it's down.

Second, I need help! This top is so tight that I can't even lower it. I can only undo one of the clamps at the front onto the windshield because once I undo one the other is too tight and won't unhook. If I release them at the same time they both won't undo. Has anyone had this problem? Any suggestions?
Sponsored

Last edited:

outlanderbz

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
OK, I'm glad that you went through this, and made and posted that video. You're absolutely right.. this is exactly what my top is doing. When I "lock" it in place, I'm pushing it in front of the rear window flap holder things. I'm no longer convinced that this is the right way to do this, and used bungees all weekend. :( Ugh.

@BestopTeam - Can we please get somebody to weigh in on how we're supposed to be doing this? Thanks.
Thanks for going back and looking at this. The funny thing is we had a 81 degree day here in Chicago yesterday so I put the top down. For whatever reason mine clicked into that spot easier then when I was recording my video. I still do not think this is intended design but I saw how you could run with that. It barely pinched the fabric and was so nice and tight when I drove on the interstate. When I went to put the top back up because 54 degrees the next day - have to love Chicago - I put both my hands on that bar you feel behind the fabric and lifted up while pushing towards the front of the vehicle. It came out pretty nice instead of catching and lifting those rear window clips.

I will be putting my hard top on here soon for fall/winter but I will continue to watch and see if @BestopTeam can tell us if bounce is intended or if we are missing a tighter lock.

As for droop - I would like to hear about that also. It really does not bother me but I really only seem to have droop in the top above the windows. My windows themselves show a little but it doesn't bother me. I just assumed it was a new design premium top thing because my JK had the cheaper top and it was so tight my wife could never close the thing.

Considering my normal dealer experiences my 2 dealers near me will 100% without a doubt just give me the "It's a Jeep thing" line and push me out the door. Gurnee CJDR is awful at customer service in their service department and deserve a call out here. But to be honest, I have the crappy steering issue and that is my only priority with them right now so I do not want to confuse their heads with another topic.

thanks for everyone taking the time to discuss what their tops are doing.

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
Hey there,

I was out of the office so i am not caught up on this thread. Can you quote the post or send me the video you guys are asking about please? Thank you!

CassieAtBestop

Thanks for going back and looking at this. The funny thing is we had a 81 degree day here in Chicago yesterday so I put the top down. For whatever reason mine clicked into that spot easier then when I was recording my video. I still do not think this is intended design but I saw how you could run with that. It barely pinched the fabric and was so nice and tight when I drove on the interstate. When I went to put the top back up because 54 degrees the next day - have to love Chicago - I put both my hands on that bar you feel behind the fabric and lifted up while pushing towards the front of the vehicle. It came out pretty nice instead of catching and lifting those rear window clips.

I will be putting my hard top on here soon for fall/winter but I will continue to watch and see if @BestopTeam can tell us if bounce is intended or if we are missing a tighter lock.

As for droop - I would like to hear about that also. It really does not bother me but I really only seem to have droop in the top above the windows. My windows themselves show a little but it doesn't bother me. I just assumed it was a new design premium top thing because my JK had the cheaper top and it was so tight my wife could never close the thing.

Considering my normal dealer experiences my 2 dealers near me will 100% without a doubt just give me the "It's a Jeep thing" line and push me out the door. Gurnee CJDR is awful at customer service in their service department and deserve a call out here. But to be honest, I have the crappy steering issue and that is my only priority with them right now so I do not want to confuse their heads with another topic.

thanks for everyone taking the time to discuss what their tops are doing.

outlanderbz

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey there,

I was out of the office so i am not caught up on this thread. Can you quote the post or send me the video you guys are asking about please? Thank you!

CassieAtBestop
of course.

user @DravenGSX posted this video about him not having bounce while driving

Then I posted this

Then @DravenGSX agreed maybe what he was doing was not the final step that people reference in the manual. This sparked a topic on what is the right way and if this bounce while driving is normal. I also tend to tuck the extra material behind the front header to limit the amount of fabric that acts like a sail in the wind while driving.

Hoop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I followed the video and ownerā€™s manual instructions to press the edges of the top until I felt it click. It seemed to fit smoothly and and the top felt secure, reducing bounce and improving rear visibility. I drove around with it today, about 10 miles. When I raised the top this evening there was clear damage from friction where the top meets the inside of the tailgate bar retainers. Back to the bungee for me, and I caution anyone else against following the instructions in the ownerā€™s manual to press corners to secure them.

2C91CA01-442D-4564-9D7E-0A63345026FE.jpeg

16CBBA37-4CFC-4163-AD8D-A040B51CFFF1.jpeg

Sponsored

outlanderbz

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I followed the video and ownerā€™s manual instructions to press the edges of the top until I felt it click. It seemed to fit smoothly and and the top felt secure, reducing bounce and improving rear visibility. I drove around with it today, about 10 miles. When I raised the top this evening there was clear damage from friction where the top meets the inside of the tailgate bar retainers. Back to the bungee for me, and I caution anyone else against following the instructions in the ownerā€™s manual to press corners to secure them.

2C91CA01-442D-4564-9D7E-0A63345026FE.jpeg

16CBBA37-4CFC-4163-AD8D-A040B51CFFF1.jpeg
Thank you for posting. Perhaps @BestopTeam and/or @JeepCares can weight in on this and tell us exactly how this soft top is supposed to work. What is this phantom 2nd press down click or is bounce the intended way to drive. Most videos I have seen that show how to operate go to the point where there would be bounce and no further.

DravenGSX

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR, '16 Ram 1500 Longhorn
@BestopTeam has gone silent on this. It would be really great if we could please get an answer.

impatientray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Unfortunately, I'm in the same place as @Hoop - I have a case with Chrysler but haven't heard a peep. All I've heard from @BestopTeam was a "like" on my forum post.

IMG_3741.jpg
IMG_3742.jpg

JeepgirlJL2018white

First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL unlimited
Unfortunately, I'm in the same place as @Hoop - I have a case with Chrysler but haven't heard a peep. All I've heard from @BestopTeam was a "like" on my forum post.

IMG_3741.jpg
IMG_3742.jpg
I'm having the isdue inside same spot. The bars are rubbing against the top while opening. They said it's because I didn't use safely straps to hold from any rubbing due to driving. It's B.S here are my pictures. Jeep has told me to fuck off. It's my problem not theirs.

20181016_105830.jpg

20181016_105817.jpg

20181015_130355.jpg

20181015_130343.jpg

20181015_130337.jpg

20181015_130330.jpg

Renegade Wrangler

First Name
Gasan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Rubicon
Occupation
Spice Man
My driver side rear window pillar doesn't sit correctly like the other side,

Sponsored

jeepnoob

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Granite 2018 JLUR
Wondering if anyone else has had this problem as I haven't seen it anywhere. When I installed the frame for the soft top everything fit great until I got to the passengers side rear door. The two hinges that wrap around under the vehicle frame that you put the bolts thru to secure it to the top of the softtop frame are about a 1/2" too short therefore the holes don't line up. I was able to get one on but even if I leave that one loose I can't get the other on. So far the dealer has been no help. The other three door frames fit perfectly.

seanjonesSUPERTRAMP

First Name
seany
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
Same hereā€”being gentle. Will a good push affect the rear window connections holder on the rear driver side? I didnā€™t push hard because I donā€™t want it to break. I also have a Tuffy deck in the back. Would that impede the locked down position?
can you put your soft top down with the tuffy enclosure ? want one but i need to be able to put the top down still

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
ā€˜Merica
can you put your soft top down with the tuffy enclosure ? want one but i need to be able to put the top down still
I would imagine it fits fine. I donā€™t see anything with the Tuffy that would impede the soft top. I installed the Tuffy deck when I removed the soft top for the season. I wonā€™t know for sure until springtime, but someone probably has a soft top with Tuffy deck set up and can provide a more timely response.

seanjonesSUPERTRAMP

First Name
seany
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
I would imagine it fits fine. I donā€™t see anything with the Tuffy that would impede the soft top. I installed the Tuffy deck when I removed the soft top for the season. I wonā€™t know for sure until springtime, but someone probably has a soft top with Tuffy deck set up and can provide a more timely response.
thanks. ya i asked a few members on here that are running there soft top with it so hopefully we'll get an answer and i'll update. couldn't find any definitive answers in the search function..

do you have any issue in completely removing the front panel up against the rear seats? it doesn't look to be load bearing? on surf trips i sleep in the back and store boards..

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
ā€˜Merica
thanks. ya i asked a few members on here that are running there soft top with it so hopefully we'll get an answer and i'll update. couldn't find any definitive answers in the search function..

do you have any issue in completely removing the front panel up against the rear seats? it doesn't look to be load bearing? on surf trips i sleep in the back and store boards..
Iā€™d have to go out and check but Iā€™m pretty sure the back panel is secured to the sides using carriage head screws with thumb tighten knobs/nuts on the inside of the box.
Removing the back and top should be a matter of minutes.
Sponsored