Sponsored

Soft Top Issues....the complete list in one spot

Driggs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Does anyone know what would cause this one inch gap from the soft top to close? Just installed it, it’s assembled correctly.

EE08C500-7C87-4DA1-A715-D3731EE81B5B.jpeg
Sponsored

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
Does anyone know what would cause this one inch gap from the soft top to close? Just installed it, it’s assembled correctly.

EE08C500-7C87-4DA1-A715-D3731EE81B5B.jpeg
Park in the sun for an hour, it should loosen up.

Driggs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Park in the sun for an hour, it should loosen up.
It sat in the sun for about a day, no luck. I found I can close it with two people with one pushing on each side of the frame in the back and the other locking it. The same has to be done to unlock it. It’s a difficult two person job, I’m assuming this isn’t normal.

FrankieFJL

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase
It sat in the sun for about a day, no luck. I found I can close it with two people with one pushing on each side of the frame in the back and the other locking it. The same has to be done to unlock it. It’s a difficult two person job, I’m assuming this isn’t normal.
I question if it is in fact assembled correctly because it should not be a two person job to close it. Mine fits perfectly. Try loosening up where it is bolted to the frame and slide it forward. A little movement will make a difference.

Sponsored

Driggs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
I question if it is in fact assembled correctly because it should not be a two person job to close it. Mine fits perfectly. Try loosening up where it is bolted to the frame and slide it forward. A little movement will make a difference.
Definitely assembled correctly (at least what I’m responsible for assembling) this is my second one assembled, didn’t have this issue with the first one . I don’t think it’s even possible to be assembled incorrectly and be 99% functional

DravenGSX

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR, '16 Ram 1500 Longhorn
I contacted MyTop and they don't have the JL (2 or 4 door) tops out yet for 2018 models. The 2-door version won't be out until 2020.
Hmm. I spoke with them at Jeep Beach, where they had a 4 door JL on display with a working top. They said they were ready to install one on mine. For what it's worth, I was impressed. Fitment was good, it operated quickly, looked nice, and was reasonably priced.

FrankieFJL

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely assembled correctly (at least what I’m responsible for assembling) this is my second one assembled, didn’t have this issue with the first one . I don’t think it’s even possible to be assembled incorrectly and be 99% functional
Looking at your photo it looks to me like it is missing the weatherstripping between the top of the windshield and the front edge of the roof. Do you have a rubber weatherstripping along the top edge of the windshield? It looks like metal to me, but I could be wrong. It is just a picture and I am not in person to see it.

On second glance maybe that grey stuff is the weatherstripping, It would look black in person but in a photo, who knows?

I could take a picture along the top of mine if you think that would help.

jdusza1

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport
Vehicle Showcase
Nice list. Here's hoping @BestopTeam takes a look at this post. Probably won't make changes in time for my Wrangler, but maybe an improved replacement in a couple years...
Thank you for your work. Neither my local dealer, Chrysler cares, or Besttop are any help on these issues.

Jelllo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
My only issue is the first time it rained, it left black streaks on my side windows that won't come out. I tried the solution from the FCA bulletin, but it does nothing. Went to the dealer and they tried several different products and nothing would remove the streaks. They are there for good.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Renegade Wrangler

First Name
Gasan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Rubicon
Occupation
Spice Man
My only issue is the first time it rained, it left black streaks on my side windows that won't come out. I tried the solution from the FCA bulletin, but it does nothing. Went to the dealer and they tried several different products and nothing would remove the streaks. They are there for good.
I had the same problem on the body under the windows and would not come off, this stuff from the dollar store worked.

20190717_213625.jpg

drock317

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS - Ocean Blue
Believe the bulletin says they're to replace the windows if their solution doesn't get the streaks off the soft window panels. If be making them order new ones. I need to take my back window in and point out the bulletin to have them try it.

ered33

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sport
NEED A WHOLE NEW TOP - ANYONE ELSE?
Previously had a JKU and I have to say the JLU top is much, much better designed and nowhere near the struggle to put up or down. That being said a couple months ago when lowering the top it had some resistance and hung up about mid-way. Went to the front, reseated and tried to lower again. It lowered but as it was folding down some flat plastic pieces shot out of both sides and it appears as if it has ripped every support bow sleeve. You would think it was greatly forced or flung open at speed but having spent the last 30 years being a wrench (quite a few of those years at a Chrysler/Jeep dealer) I'm pretty good about operating mechanical items. So now it is at the dealer getting a new top installed and the dealer called to say it will be another day because it needs to go to upholstery shop to be sewn. WTF. If anybody knows this to be accurate (not guessing) please respond. I have installed many, many seat covers and convertible tops and never needed anything sewn when dealing with O.E. equipment. I suspect somebody screwed up but it's been a two month ordeal waiting for parts and terrible communication so this doesn't surprise me from this dealer.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
NEED A WHOLE NEW TOP - ANYONE ELSE?
Previously had a JKU and I have to say the JLU top is much, much better designed and nowhere near the struggle to put up or down. That being said a couple months ago when lowering the top it had some resistance and hung up about mid-way. Went to the front, reseated and tried to lower again. It lowered but as it was folding down some flat plastic pieces shot out of both sides and it appears as if it has ripped every support bow sleeve. You would think it was greatly forced or flung open at speed but having spent the last 30 years being a wrench (quite a few of those years at a Chrysler/Jeep dealer) I'm pretty good about operating mechanical items. So now it is at the dealer getting a new top installed and the dealer called to say it will be another day because it needs to go to upholstery shop to be sewn. WTF. If anybody knows this to be accurate (not guessing) please respond. I have installed many, many seat covers and convertible tops and never needed anything sewn when dealing with O.E. equipment. I suspect somebody screwed up but it's been a two month ordeal waiting for parts and terrible communication so this doesn't surprise me from this dealer.
They have to sew a brand new top? I call BS. (Unless they are only replacing the material and reusing the support system?)

Do you have the regular or premium top? I can’t wrap my head around what tore on yours, which is why I ask. (I have premium top.)

ered33

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sport
They have to sew a brand new top? I call BS. (Unless they are only replacing the material and reusing the support system?)

Do you have the regular or premium top? I can’t wrap my head around what tore on yours, which is why I ask. (I have premium top.)
Regular top. Truth be told I never paid much attention to it before it happened so I can't say exactly what ripped either but there is a tattered looking fabric material right in line with each support bow. When driving now the top will "puff up" from the air pressure and separate about an inch and a half away from support so I figured it was some kind of sleeve the bow was pocketed in. As for sewing the top I think bs too. It should be done today but now I'm in the uncomfortable spot of not wanting to be the pia a**hole customer cause I've spent enough years flat rate to know that person too well. However I would like to have it back to the way it was when I bought it new a year ago. :(
Sponsored