Soft Top Issues....the complete list in one spot

lgm98

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Okay, I went out and played some more and took a video. I didnt have anyone around to take the video for me. I think your "click" is actually one of the cross bars being "clicked" behind the rear window bottom supports. Is this really what you are supposed to do? When you pull it back up it feels as if those are going to snap. Not to mention the cloth is being pinched behind it. At the end I say "it yanks this thing right off" but what I meant was seems like it can yank it right off. It seriously bends up to the bolt point.

I tried this and mine doesn't seem to bind up the top like yours and seems like it's supposed to go into that bottom support ...so have we decided this is what is supposed to happen because I have no movement of top doing it this way as opposed to before?

outlanderbz

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I tried this and mine doesn't seem to bind up the top like yours and seems like it's supposed to go into that bottom support ...so have we decided this is what is supposed to happen because I have no movement of top doing it this way as opposed to before?
Interesting, so I wonder if something with mine is a little off and makes it very tight when that bar goes behind the rear window supports. I would love to hear others chime in. I showed my wife and she even said "i'd let it bounce before pinching the fabric like that".

DravenGSX

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR, '16 Ram 1500 Longhorn
I planned to take some photos and video to show more detail about how mine is working, but the weather here is not cooperating. I definitely will over the weekend though. Mine does not bind up on the rear like that. There are actually nubs on the bars near the locks that are locking into place when I push down. Hard to explain without pictures.

outlanderbz

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I planned to take some photos and video to show more detail about how mine is working, but the weather here is not cooperating. I definitely will over the weekend though. Mine does not bind up on the rear like that. There are actually nubs on the bars near the locks that are locking into place when I push down. Hard to explain without pictures.
I would love to see that when you get the time. Just so I can then show the dealer if mine is in fact not working as it should. Thank you for assisting!

Sponsored

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
I tried pushing down past what is reasonable (Stuff bending beyond its happy point), my 2 door does not do any sort of second clock down of any sort. It bounces around up to where the lock is regardless.

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
Ok I just tried it.. I should have taken some pictures, but there is no way to get it as compact as you have it. Sort of looks the same, but no amount of pushing did anything, the corner just have too much material stacked in them. I am a big guy, I pushed down pretty hard to too.

Also after its locked, I tried moving the parts around, the only thing that is locked is the most rear bar, the whole forward section lifts up and attempts to close. I should have taken some pictures but it is dark and the mosquitoes are out in force.

So for now I keep my bungee that I go from the driver side rear ring in the floor, over the soft-top and down to the passenger side rear ring in the floor. It inhibits all movement, is not super tight, and keeps rear visibility up and the top from flapping in the wind.

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR (Wrikki), 2018 Grand Sport (V)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
I tried pushing down past what is reasonable (Stuff bending beyond its happy point), my 2 door does not do any sort of second clock down of any sort. It bounces around up to where the lock is regardless.
Ditto!

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR (Wrikki), 2018 Grand Sport (V)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

DravenGSX

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR, '16 Ram 1500 Longhorn
I would love to see that when you get the time. Just so I can then show the dealer if mine is in fact not working as it should. Thank you for assisting!
OK, I'm glad that you went through this, and made and posted that video. You're absolutely right.. this is exactly what my top is doing. When I "lock" it in place, I'm pushing it in front of the rear window flap holder things. I'm no longer convinced that this is the right way to do this, and used bungees all weekend. :( Ugh.

@BestopTeam - Can we please get somebody to weigh in on how we're supposed to be doing this? Thanks.

jmr2018

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline, 1971 Super Bug Convrt.
I already had to have the driver's side panel replaced. From the factory, the plastic track was too wide causing it to come undone. I am EXTREMELY suspect of this design and concerned that over time there will be more issues. Looks like its designed to last 3 years or 36K miles... whatever comes first.

JCMagnum

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
I love my JLUR. Purchased the dual top group and was so excited to put the soft top on. Having lived with my Premium Soft top now for 10,000 miles I have a list of issues. I am sure you may have some yourself. I am trying to create a single spot of known soft top issues that have been reported by many users. There are many out there still wondering soft top vs hard top. Not that this list will sway them but they should know the issues and remedies if any that we all come up with.

Dont get me wrong, I really enjoy my soft top and still have it on while the summer still lingers but the people who designed it, tested it and approved its release for use have some things to figure out.

Here is what I have found for the Premium Soft top. ( My particular JLUR has suffered all these )

1. Soft top rib supports are often not installed correctly or received correctly having the plastic support between the felt and the sail strap. This causes excessive wearing and will cut the strap. The plastic support should be between the top of the roof sail material and the felt.

2. Side Windows Droop - the side windows have a droop located near the top. No amount of tightening or positioning will make therm go away. This drooping is found immediately after installation, others have noticed it days later.

3. Rear Window Droop - just like the side windows. This big window gets a big bulge too. This however may be due to the fact the side rear pillars just never quite get into position making them tall enough to prevent the droop.

4. Rear window drivers side lower seal does not fit, does not stay on, or blows off easily. This may also be related to the pillars not being fitting correctly.

5. Rear passenger side lower seal does not fit. This is typically found after many miles of use.

6. Side window Pillars - getting them to pop in correctly. They never seem to click or provide any feedback visually or otherwise that they are seated properly. If not in properly, they sit a fraction too low. This might be causing drooping but every time I have the dealer check it they say, "It looks right...just like all the other JLs" with droopy windows on their lot.

7. Side windows have blown off at highway speeds if the front seals are seated properly.

8. Premature wear - users have cited and shown that areas near cross bars have excessive wear with only a few months use.

9. Soft top when lowered will break the hard top wiring harness holder. This is a plastic cap that attaches to the rear interior quarter panel. It does not harm anything electrical or prevent anything from functioning but its a design flaw for sure.

10. Soft top bags - Mopar bags were designed for the 2 door JL...The bag will store the 4dr JL windows but its a much larger bag than what it is needed.

11. Like the hard top rain is still a problem getting in and out. The run off from the roof drops right into the cabin.

Now. My last rant about these issues my posts were deleted by the jlwrangler censor people? Dont know it was actually but it was a vendor thread :) so perhaps they didn't like my listing all the flaws or that they might want to actually environmentally stress test their designs before we do their in field beta testing.

But if anyone has any other issues, please let us know, especially if you found a solution. I enjoy my soft top but would love it so much more if I can avoid another issue.
Having some of the same soft top issues (JL-2 door). Pillars don't snap in to place and the small outside rear window tabs don't stay in place. Not having issues with the windows drooping and I drive frequently on the highway.
Sponsored