xeon

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
I am very meticulous about how it was installed, lowered and raised. I have watched all the videos mentioned above before installing. I have had soft top vehicles for the past 40 years of various types. They all have issues to some degree, some just frustrations but this top is by far has the most issues/frustrations. Possibly because its just bigger. Again don't get me wrong, I love convertibles. Its one of the biggest reasons I bought the soft top in the first place. I even understand the need to blame the user (me) if you haven't had any of these issues yet. But consider for one moment that there is a possibility its not the user. Perhaps there are physical characteristics of manufactured lots of tops that have issues. This is not unheard of especially when you know recalls are contained to specific lots/ groups of vehicles.

Most people wonder how in the heck a window can blow off. Well, its not the hard actually, In my case it required high way speed and strong cross winds. I happen to live in an area where cross winds can get quite violent. With front windows down doing about 65 and a strong cross gust. the top will expand rapidly. Passengers in the back seat watched as the top filled like a balloon and released. The frequency of the inflation and deflation and violence of it caused one of the pillars to loosen. (One of my problems with the pillars not fitting well no matter how I smack it in place. ) Once the pillar moved and we all heard it pop out ... the next gust, as I was slowing down, pulled the front and lower seam/plastic guides out. I was able to stop and pull over before it completely flew away. Simply put it back on, rolled up the front windows and no issue.

Currently my Jeep is used to transport teenagers for football games with occasional overlanding trips. The cargo area is used daily and flipping the rear window up is done multiple times per day. Due to the rear pillars coming loose, I go back each time and make sure they are secure 99% of the time they are fine. I am sort of OCD on these things. On occasion I will find one not seated quite right. My guess at the moment is that somehow during the removal of the cross bar a hand is hitting the pillar and nocking it loose. Not out, just a bit loose that I can noticeably tell it was loose when I push it back in. Not sure what causes it but watching to see if I can figure it out.
Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I am very meticulous about how it was installed, lowered and raised. I have watched all the videos mentioned above before installing. I have had soft top vehicles for the past 40 years of various types. They all have issues to some degree, some just frustrations but this top is by far has the most issues/frustrations. Possibly because its just bigger. Again don't get me wrong, I love convertibles. Its one of the biggest reasons I bought the soft top in the first place. I even understand the need to blame the user (me) if you haven't had any of these issues yet. But consider for one moment that there is a possibility its not the user. Perhaps there are physical characteristics of manufactured lots of tops that have issues. This is not unheard of especially when you know recalls are contained to specific lots/ groups of vehicles.

Most people wonder how in the heck a window can blow off. Well, its not the hard actually, In my case it required high way speed and strong cross winds. I happen to live in an area where cross winds can get quite violent. With front windows down doing about 65 and a strong cross gust. the top will expand rapidly. Passengers in the back seat watched as the top filled like a balloon and released. The frequency of the inflation and deflation and violence of it caused one of the pillars to loosen. (One of my problems with the pillars not fitting well no matter how I smack it in place. ) Once the pillar moved and we all heard it pop out ... the next gust, as I was slowing down, pulled the front and lower seam/plastic guides out. I was able to stop and pull over before it completely flew away. Simply put it back on, rolled up the front windows and no issue.

Currently my Jeep is used to transport teenagers for football games with occasional overlanding trips. The cargo area is used daily and flipping the rear window up is done multiple times per day. Due to the rear pillars coming loose, I go back each time and make sure they are secure 99% of the time they are fine. I am sort of OCD on these things. On occasion I will find one not seated quite right. My guess at the moment is that somehow during the removal of the cross bar a hand is hitting the pillar and nocking it loose. Not out, just a bit loose that I can noticeably tell it was loose when I push it back in. Not sure what causes it but watching to see if I can figure it out.
@xeon John: I can completely buy into the idea that the JL top, manufactured in larger part by hand no less, can deviate in design quality and standard measurement metrics that even the most pedantic of installers finds issue with.

GoGators353

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I really enjoy the functionality of the soft top and the ease in dropping it but I won't drive it on the highway with the side windows and no back window. Even at 45, the sides come loose at the bottom so I'm worried they will blow off at higher speeds.

As for the droop, my rear windows by the top edge are leaving a bigger and bigger gap for rain to get in, hope it doesn't get much worse.

Jtimbrook

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 1946 CJ2A
As far as side windows popping off, this is definitely not limited to the JL's, even on TJ's and JK's I've owned I had this issue. I have to travel through a mountain pass to go to work each day and it's the equivalent to the Palm Springs area in California and whenever I ran without doors or with windows open I always cringed going through the pass if the soft top windows were on just because I knew I'd have one pop out. It's a known issue with Jeep to the point they used to have in their operators manual a warning about running the soft top windows without doors or with windows open by opening the rear soft top window to allow for wind to escape which with a zippered window was easy, the tongue and groove system now means I either run with everything on and roll my windows up through the pass or run the Jeep naked.

The rear window spreader bar is supposed to lock in fairly stiffly and I know when I go to open the rear window it takes a little more energy to pull it out which I can definitely see could cause some unnecessary jarring of the pillar mounts. It's not like the older style where after awhile it loosened up on it's own which really is what it needs to be like. What I currently do is roll the spreader bar towards me out of the brackets which helps prevent the side to side jarring motion and then when putting it back in I just repeat the process in reverse order. I'm hoping by doing so the rubber seal with loosen up some over time and make it a little easier to work with the rear window, but I can see it causing the issue you're describing.

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Soft top bags - Mopar bags were designed for the 2 door JL...The bag will store the 4dr JL windows but its a much larger bag than what it is needed.
How do you figure? The back window is the same for JL and JLU, no? I have a JL, and if you're thinking our side windows take up all the available width of the bag, I can tell you that's not so. The bag has to be wide enough to accommodate the widest window, which is the back one. Personally, I think MOPAR nailed it with the bag; fits like a glove and is high quality. (I do think it should just come with the vehicle, though.)

After 6k miles, the only issue on your list that I've experienced is #4.

Here's my gripe that can be added to your list: When my top is down and locked it rattles. The rattle comes from where the top is attached to the rail up at the roof (above the locking mechanism). I can very easily reproduce by just jiggling it with my hand. It's not a terrible problem because once you're moving fast enough the wind/radio drown it out, but it is annoying at low speeds. This is on both sides, and does not look like a defect.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I won't drive it on the highway with the side windows and no back window
Not designed to do this. DON'T DO THIS EVEN ON BACK ROADS. The back window is what holds the pillar in place.

RMC2

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 JKUR waiting on an 18 JLUR
I have experienced many of these issues. Don’t forget the window material is very soft and scratches very easy, much easier than a JK. The premium top is not sewed correctly leaving the top baggy, even immediately after taking it out of the box.

For those claiming operator error, in addition to my 18 JKUR, I have owned a 13 JKUR, and a 09 JKUR. I still own a soft top 85 CJ7. I am pretty sure I know my way around a Jeep and a soft top. My JKUR premium soft tops were a very snug fit and did not droop at all. And the windows were not as easy to scratch. My 25 year old CJ7 windows are not scratched up because I take care of my stuff.

It isn’t a design problem as much as a quality control issue in my opinion. The seams just are not sewn in the right spot. And the window material is simply cheaper quality.

There was a big rush to produce these soft tops and repeated delivery delays.

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I really enjoy the functionality of the soft top and the ease in dropping it but I won't drive it on the highway with the side windows and no back window.
Not designed to do this. DON'T DO THIS EVEN ON BACK ROADS. The back window is what holds the pillar in place.
Also page 108 and 133 of the owner’s manual say that riding with the back window up without the side windows removed is dangerous!

“Do not drive the vehicle with the rear window up/removed unless the quarter windows are also removed. Dangerous exhaust gases could enter the vehicle causing harm to the driver and passengers.”

will1111

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Anyone who believes they are doing it right care to post a pic of their soft top? That would help others

Sponsored

OP
OP
xeon

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Hey All,

We appreciate your feedback. I will pass your comments along to our engineers.

CassieAtBestop

Hi Cassie,

Thanks for taking the information back. If nothing else improving the next generation would be a great help. Could you validate if any of these issues were found during DV or PV testing?

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
My top is great overall. Safari mode is amazing.

2 minor issues:
- Rear flap edge pop off and you have to keep pushing them back on
- When down it bounces up and down, and rattles in the track (not when up though)

DravenGSX

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR, '16 Ram 1500 Longhorn
My top is great overall. Safari mode is amazing.

2 minor issues:
- Rear flap edge pop off and you have to keep pushing them back on
- When down it bounces up and down, and rattles in the track (not when up though)

This is operator error. Read the section in the manual about how to put the top down. You are leaving off the last step to push down on each side of the top to secure it so that it does not bounce around.

OP
OP
xeon

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
I have experienced many of these issues. Don’t forget the window material is very soft and scratches very easy, much easier than a JK. The premium top is not sewed correctly leaving the top baggy, even immediately after taking it out of the box.

For those claiming operator error, in addition to my 18 JKUR, I have owned a 13 JKUR, and a 09 JKUR. I still own a soft top 85 CJ7. I am pretty sure I know my way around a Jeep and a soft top. My JKUR premium soft tops were a very snug fit and did not droop at all. And the windows were not as easy to scratch. My 25 year old CJ7 windows are not scratched up because I take care of my stuff.

It isn’t a design problem as much as a quality control issue in my opinion. The seams just are not sewn in the right spot. And the window material is simply cheaper quality.

There was a big rush to produce these soft tops and repeated delivery delays.
Given the fact they made the side windows so they would not be able to rolled up (big mistake in my mind) they could have used a better / thicker materials for the window without impacting weight too much.

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
Hey there,

I can ask but I am guessing I will not be able to comment on any of this due to our contract.

CassieAtBestop

Hi Cassie,

Thanks for taking the information back. If nothing else improving the next generation would be a great help. Could you validate if any of these issues were found during DV or PV testing?
Sponsored