Soft Top Issues....the complete list in one spot

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
I love my JLUR. Purchased the dual top group and was so excited to put the soft top on. Having lived with my Premium Soft top now for 10,000 miles I have a list of issues. I am sure you may have some yourself. I am trying to create a single spot of known soft top issues that have been reported by many users. There are many out there still wondering soft top vs hard top. Not that this list will sway them but they should know the issues and remedies if any that we all come up with.

Dont get me wrong, I really enjoy my soft top and still have it on while the summer still lingers but the people who designed it, tested it and approved its release for use have some things to figure out.

Here is what I have found for the Premium Soft top. ( My particular JLUR has suffered all these )

1. Soft top rib supports are often not installed correctly or received correctly having the plastic support between the felt and the sail strap. This causes excessive wearing and will cut the strap. The plastic support should be between the top of the roof sail material and the felt.

2. Side Windows Droop - the side windows have a droop located near the top. No amount of tightening or positioning will make therm go away. This drooping is found immediately after installation, others have noticed it days later.

3. Rear Window Droop - just like the side windows. This big window gets a big bulge too. This however may be due to the fact the side rear pillars just never quite get into position making them tall enough to prevent the droop.

4. Rear window drivers side lower seal does not fit, does not stay on, or blows off easily. This may also be related to the pillars not being fitting correctly.

5. Rear passenger side lower seal does not fit. This is typically found after many miles of use.

6. Side window Pillars - getting them to pop in correctly. They never seem to click or provide any feedback visually or otherwise that they are seated properly. If not in properly, they sit a fraction too low. This might be causing drooping but every time I have the dealer check it they say, "It looks right...just like all the other JLs" with droopy windows on their lot.

7. Side windows have blown off at highway speeds if the front seals are seated properly.

8. Premature wear - users have cited and shown that areas near cross bars have excessive wear with only a few months use.

9. Soft top when lowered will break the hard top wiring harness holder. This is a plastic cap that attaches to the rear interior quarter panel. It does not harm anything electrical or prevent anything from functioning but its a design flaw for sure.

10. Soft top bags - Mopar bags were designed for the 2 door JL...The bag will store the 4dr JL windows but its a much larger bag than what it is needed.

11. Like the hard top rain is still a problem getting in and out. The run off from the roof drops right into the cabin.

Now. My last rant about these issues my posts were deleted by the jlwrangler censor people? Dont know it was actually but it was a vendor thread :) so perhaps they didn't like my listing all the flaws or that they might want to actually environmentally stress test their designs before we do their in field beta testing.

But if anyone has any other issues, please let us know, especially if you found a solution. I enjoy my soft top but would love it so much more if I can avoid another issue.
Sponsored

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
Nice list. Here's hoping @BestopTeam takes a look at this post. Probably won't make changes in time for my Wrangler, but maybe an improved replacement in a couple years...

OP
OP
xeon

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
I am hopeful these issues are looked at too and the next one I buy should this one rip, or fly away on the freeway will have these issues resolved.

I am really wanting zippers or for that matter just give me hook and loop. Just as secure and I can roll up my windows. Ugh....but I am hopeful they will fix these and any other issues we find.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
OP is not a fan of mine (if this is the same dude as the other thread - sorry, can't be bothered to check), but I gotta pop in and say I haven't had any of those issues. Most certainly not the side windows blowing off at highway speeds, though that is a slightly comical picture lol.

My channels are fine, too. Have never had them pop out or anything.

Honestly makes me wonder how the heck you guys are lowering and raising your soft top and installing the windows every time. You have watched various videos on how to do it properly, right? I originally watched the Quadratec video on it, but holy cow DO NOT install the windows the way that guy shows it. I found a much better video with some guy from a dealership doing it in the middle of winter - I'll try to find it later today if I get a chance.

Sponsored

will1111

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
OP is not a fan of mine (if this is the same dude as the other thread - sorry, can't be bothered to check), but I gotta pop in and say I haven't had any of those issues. Most certainly not the side windows blowing off at highway speeds, though that is a slightly comical picture lol.

My channels are fine, too. Have never had them pop out or anything.

Honestly makes me wonder how the heck you guys are lowering and raising your soft top and installing the windows every time. You have watched various videos on how to do it properly, right? I originally watched the Quadratec video on it, but holy cow DO NOT install the windows the way that guy shows it. I found a much better video with some guy from a dealership doing it in the middle of winter - I'll try to find it later today if I get a chance.
That's how I lower/raise it. Being new I watched a ton of videos. Everything is fine on mine, just the back tabs come off. And a almost unnoticeable bulge on the driver side window.
I'll double check again maybe I'm missing one step but I highly doubt it since I followed their instructions

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
My only gripe is the bottom rear window retention tabs, left and right. If the tabs and slots were deeper, I doubt this would be an issue.

As for most everything else the OP cited: (1) It's a soft top made of flexible fabric and plastic; of course it flexes, bulges and droops a bit. (2) Operator error.

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
Yeah on the back window, the tabs come off all the time. Pretty annoying but I made the habit of fixing it everytime I get a chance
You can push up on the sides (since they are slider like) slightly and that helps keep the lower tabs tucked in. Works for me on both sides if needed.

My only real soft top issue is the rear door surround verticle parts that don't sit flush on the tub. The rear leg portion sits up off the tub by a little bit, just enough for the piece to rattle. I think adding some foam to it will help and even adjusting the surrounds a bit with the rollbar bolts. Both I have to look into when it stops raining here.

Otherwise, the only other issue I have is the clip that holds the electrical and washer hose. Totally useless if you put your soft top down at all.

DravenGSX

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR, '16 Ram 1500 Longhorn
With less than 1000 miles, I have experienced many of these issues. While a window hasn't blown off on the highway yet, it does bulge out quite a bit at highway speeds and makes me super nervous.

I like how easy it is to put up, and take down, but i have concerns for sure.

Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Before I make this comment I want to say that I'm pretty much very happy with my (Premium) soft top.

Still more, I consider this a "1st world problem" that if I never solve....let's just say I should never know from worse problems in life.

That said, as soft top owners will know, in the back of the rig, on either extreme side, there is a flap of the back window, about a few inches wide I'll guess, that gets tucked under the hardware in the two back corners of the rig. Those flaps are forever coming loose for me.

I tried pulling down the fabric on the back window somewhat before tucking in these flaps to no avail.

Any thoughts on a remedy?

Thanks.

will1111

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
You can push up on the sides (since they are slider like) slightly and that helps keep the lower tabs tucked in. Works for me on both sides if needed.

My only real soft top issue is the rear door surround verticle parts that don't sit flush on the tub. The rear leg portion sits up off the tub by a little bit, just enough for the piece to rattle. I think adding some foam to it will help and even adjusting the surrounds a bit with the rollbar bolts. Both I have to look into when it stops raining here.

Otherwise, the only other issue I have is the clip that holds the electrical and washer hose. Totally useless if you put your soft top down at all.
I'll try it...if I leave it untucked, the tabs edge are about 1/16" over the lip at most. I never thought that wasn't enough surface to tuck properly but didnt mind much since I didnt notice any difference in sound or flutter

jhonn236_AZ

First Name
Jhonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sting Gray Rubicon
At least you got the soft top bag. I also bought the dual top package, and my soft top did not come with a bag. The hard top did.

And I have also encounter some of these issues. The plastic piece that holds the hard top hardware comes off EVERY. SINGLE. TIME I roll the soft top up. Very annoying, but I can live with that as long as it doesn't break - so far it only pops out and right back in.

Jtimbrook

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 1946 CJ2A
So, I'm at almost 5000 miles on mine with only the premium soft top and I have yet to see any of these issues arise. So far from all the Jeep's I've owned in the past, this is by far the best soft top I've had. It seems that many of the issues that are popping up are user related, i.e. making sure the pillar is in place correctly to help prevent sagging or making sure all hardware for the hardtop is off before putting on the soft top (my previous Jeep I learned that the hard way). The first couple of times of putting the soft top down I found there's some subtleties to making sure that when it goes back up I pay attention too such as there's a soft click when the pillar gets seated correctly or making sure to index the side windows with the velcro tab at the top.

The only issue I have is I wish the window cleaner was a little cheaper because 8oz at 13 bucks, it's a little pricey...
Sponsored