Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I've had very good experience with BFG KO2 and General Grabber ATX in snow.

KO2s seemed marginally better in snow; Generals marginally better in rain and dirt.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Caveman044

Caveman044

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURXR
Not sure. I currently own 4 Jeeps, all are 4x4 (Grand Cherokee, Cherokee, TJ and JL) and the TJ with its Duratrac's is by far the worst in the snow. When I say by far, it's not even in the same league as the other Jeeps. It's a 2006 with a 6 speed and newer 31 x 10.5 Duratrac tires. I tend to favor narrow tires rather than very wide ones for weight considerations.

Obviously, I am using the same winter snow driving "experience" in all 4 Jeeps. From my experience nothing drives better in the snow than the Grand Cherokee. (I've been driving for over 4 decades in the snow).

When it comes to serious 4 wheeling in the Sierra nothing beats the TJ, it's a beast. It just comes up far short operating in the snow with the Duratrac tires. It is clearly the tires that don't like the Sierra snow and the snow depth varies as the elevations are all over the map in the region. Snow can differ from inches to feet between towns that are less than 5 miles apart depending on elevation and topography.

Up here we call it "Sierra Cement" because of the wet and icy composition. ...now if I was to stud the Duratracs that would likely be a game changer. I have nothing against the Duratracs and they are a great off road tire, they just would be my last choice when considering tires for winter use. There are too many better options.
How does your JL stack up against the grand cherokee? My WJ is amazing in snow and ice. And I disagree about the duratracs, they have been excellent in snow for me.

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB, 2019 Cherokee, 2015 GrCherokee, 2006 TJ
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
How does your JL stack up against the grand cherokee? My WJ is amazing in snow and ice. And I disagree about the duratracs, they have been excellent in snow for me.
As you might imagine the Grand Cherokee has the best road manners-especially in the snow. While many here acknowledge that the tires are of utmost importance, I think when it comes to "roadway" snow, every component plays a role. Tires, weight, drivetrain, and vehicle dynamics all come into play. If I'm offroad in the snow, I'd prefer to be in the JL hands down with BFG All Terrains or the stock Mud Terrains. But if I am on local roads or even a highway, nothing competes with the Grand Cherokee. That's just my personal experience. Many of us that travel in the Sierra have been in white out conditions where no vehicle should be driving. But given the rarity and the usual snow conditions here the Grand Cherokee is my go to snow vehicle, the TJ would be my last.
I recently changed the stock (Goodyear Fortera) tires out on the Grand Cherokee to a new set of Yokahama YK-CTX. I look forward to see how they will compare to the Goodyear's during the upcoming snow season. (For the record I got 76k miles out of the Goodyears which was quite impressive).

Lastly, I really like the Duratracs and the aggressive tread. I originally imagined they would perform excellent in the snow. I was actually quite surprised (and dissapointed) how bad they are when directly compared to other tires. I'm fortunate to be able to compare them side by side with my other Jeeps and wanted to share my experiences. Seriously, unless the vehicle itself is 100 percent to blame, they are horrible in street snow compared to the tires on my other 3 jeeps.

If you think Duratracs are excellent in the snow, I would ask if you have tried other tires or made a direct comparison? It's the only way to tell.

Again, I'm simply trying to be helpful and share my experience. I understand that not everyone has 4 different Jeeps to compare side by side and the amount of wet snow we get on our Sierra roadways. Hope it helps.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Caveman044

Caveman044

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURXR
Great trip to Lake Tahoe with the 2dr 10th Anniversary for Thanksgiving, 2019,
Jeep Wrangler JL Snow and ice performance EF8C292A-FE3A-42D4-9849-E36857BB37BC
lots of snow, early/late ice and the Goodyear Kevlar did well. Had cables but never needed
Nice! Do you have the rock-trac or selec-track transfer case?

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
Expect decent traction.

If you have a lot of driving expertise - and know the pro and con limits of your setup - stock KO2s are fine for most winter conditions. We have abused our tires by airing down low and gunning over huge FSR potholes and ruts - plus grinding up steep inclines with chains. As an AT they have much better winter traction than the previous stiff compound KOs. Neg is they wear much faster. As long as they have 10/32nds or more - expect decent traction. We just bought another new take-off set to be rotated out specifically only for winter use.

My guess is you should be fine. We had plans to switch up to pure winters with studs - but decided not to looking at our use case. Just be very cognizant and careful of the traction limits on ice. The compliant KO2s are quiet enough and wear very evenly. So overall have been fine for summer rock crawling and going in snow. We go up skiing, snowboarding, mountaineering - to resorts a min of 30x per winter - with nary a slip in plain old 4Hi. Traction has actually been amazing for us in the PNW.

If always on ice however - would def opt for full winters with studs. Plus would have chains, tracks, and a couple full length shovels at the ready.

EAD6AD77-87CB-469C-9F25-8F8BACB1A8BC.png

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini '20 JL Freedom, '99 Dakota R/T, '97 Boxster
Not sure. I currently own 4 Jeeps,

I have nothing against the Duratracs and they are a great off road tire, they just would be my last choice when considering tires for winter use. There are too many better options.
What do you like what is tall and skinny for a 17 in load range C? Thinking of doing rubicon fenders on my sport, rubicon shocks, keeping the low springs, and something like a narrow 34 AT geared towards daily driving/snow.

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
If you think Duratracs are excellent in the snow, I would ask if you have tried other tires or made a direct comparison? It's the only way to tell.
Directly compared Duratracs to Cooper Discoverer AT3, no contest, the Coopers were some of the worst tires I have ever driven in snow. Directly compared to Cooper STT Pro, another marginal tire in the winter, Cooper will never again get any of my money for tires after giving them two solid chances on tires. Directly compared to BFG KO2's. The BFG's are excellent in so many conditions. I find the Duratracs to have much better deep snow performance 6+ inches and much better performance on ice. I also find that the Duratracs have better snow performance for more of the tread life than the BFG's which I will not run in the winter below half tread anymore. Compared directly against BFG KM2's which are just plain a BAD choice for winter like most un-siped MT tires. Compared directly against Firestone XT's which I have found I like better than the KO2's in the winter, especially in deeper snow. I find these to be pretty close to the Duratracs and cheaper but again not quite as good towing my sleds up deep snow covered forest service roads. Duratracs have always required the least amount of chaining up, and I have had to chain all of them up. Duratracs are by far the most popular with all of my friends who run lots of mountain roads in their trucks. Years of experience running mountain passes for work and play, 90% of them on Duratracs. Most wont consider anything else. I have tried a bunch of others and I am going back. No contest for me, they will go on my new truck immediately.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
What do you like what is tall and skinny for a 17 in load range C? Thinking of doing rubicon fenders on my sport, rubicon shocks, keeping the low springs, and something like a narrow 34 AT geared towards daily driving/snow.
BFG KO2 is offered in 34x10.5, but it is E-load.

I had them on my 2015 Sahara: it is an excellent size for Wrangler.

Jeep Wrangler JL Snow and ice performance F363E417-6E26-4890-A0F4-22C7DAFAB90F

Jeep Wrangler JL Snow and ice performance AFD01E4D-5A01-40E5-91FA-56CEB38C383B

Jeep Wrangler JL Snow and ice performance 2893F67A-B345-4C28-A136-DAEE70965797

Jeep Wrangler JL Snow and ice performance 21DE3020-F802-4817-8A92-B1020E1B633A

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini '20 JL Freedom, '99 Dakota R/T, '97 Boxster
BFG KO2 is offered in 34x10.5, but it is E-load.

I had them on my 2015 Sahara: it is an excellent size for Wrangler.
I am worried about the weight and stiffness of E on a 2 door. I had C on my TJ and they rode nicely.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I am worried about the weight and stiffness of E on a 2 door. I had C on my TJ and they rode nicely.
I found the most noticeable deterioration in ride and handling come from tires with greater (a) weight and (b) contact patch.

My Sahara rode and handled beautifully with those 34x10.5 KO2s. Which is more than I can say about any 35x12.5 tire I’ve owned.

The best way I can describe 35x12.5 tires is: they are tolerable.

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
On my 2019 JL I run BFG KO2 in a 285/70 R17, load range C. (33x11.5) This seems to be a good compromise and keeps the weight of the tire/rim combination within reason. In my case, I use the JL both on and off road and the BFG All Terrains handle both tasks reasonably well.

On my 2006 TJ I run Goodyear Duratracs in a 31 x 10.50 R 15 LT . I like the Duratracs for their off road capability but as mentioned, their on road (pavement) manners are not as good as other tires. They are noisy but that should be expected with their aggressive tread. For this reason the TJ is used 95 percent if the time off road and I would recommend them for that purpose.
20210419_135607.jpg
Screenshot_20210619-160010_Photos.jpg

Last edited:

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
I found the most noticeable deterioration in ride and handling come from tires with greater (a) weight and (b) contact patch.

My Sahara rode and handled beautifully with those 34x10.5 KO2s. Which is more than I can say about any 35x12.5 tire I’ve owned.

The best way I can describe 35x12.5 tires is: they are tolerable.
Agreed. I always try to consider overall weight and contact patch for specific uses with my vehicles. Bigger isn't always necessarily better. Some large tires get incredibly heavy.

Changing the tires on my MOAB from BFG Mud Terrains to slightly taller BFG All Terrains made all of the difference in the world in the way it drives.
Sponsored