litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

I’ve got a ‘19 Sahara with open diffs. I hit some of the greasiest weather I’ve been in this past winter. The 401 between London and Kitchener was completely white knuckle.

Keep it in 2WD unless you really need help going up a hill, or getting started. Good tires are important, I swapped the stock tires out for KO2 275/70/18s before winter hit. Don’t run them at factory spec pressure. I run mine at 32PSI cold. Warmed up they reach 34-36PSI.

Drive slow, it’s a “light” vehicle, RWD and can get its back end out quickly.
Sponsored

Chubrocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR, 2017 JKU Sport, 2013 F150, 2004 4Runner
Aren't you thinking lockers....? I found my Rubicons, especially with the rear locked, the absolute worst in icy/slippery conditions. My Saharas with a rear TrueTrac were absolute champs...!
Lockers can be a handful but you'll only use them on purpose, to get moving or unstuck. Thing is with LSD you can but motoring along and get wheel slippage on one wheel, the LSD clanks in and spins you. Open diff with BLD is way more stable on the really slippery stuff (i'm talking straight ice) imho.

Watch a posi burnout vs. a peg leg, the positraction car swings sideways and the open diff drives out straight. A non spinning tire has more sideways grip than a spinning tire.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

Is anyone else finding it ironic that we are talking about driving in snow when it hit 32C today?

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
Hey guys,

Just had the absolute worst snow driving experience with my new Wrangler Unlimited JL, Almost spun out 3 times on 4Hi at 50km on about 2-3 inches of snow on a straight road.. It was greasy but really surprised how bad my it was handling the road.. Note, my new JL runs currently with all weather tires.. Just picked up the Jeep and dealership said I'd be fine for the rest of the winter on stock tires..Here's my question, would winter tires stabilize the driving by a good margin? I need my Jeep to be rock solid in snow conditions, family and stuff.. you know, I need to have complete trust in the handling. Now having said that, I know if it's freezing rain or all ice condition, no guarantees there.
just put on some good quality A/T tires, there are many to choose from

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i have used nitto terra grappler a/t and they are great in the winter. havent used them on the jl, but i expect that they will do well. the last time i've used the nittos was on a grand cherokee and a buddy of mine have them on his ram 1500 no issues at all.
Sponsored