2Door Snow Performance. Owner’s Opinions Requested

JeepAdmin

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Sahara
Just about ready to pull the trigger on a Rubicon. I’ve had a JKUR for several years and then more recently had a TJR. Obviously the wheelbase and weight difference make the TJ more squirrelly while driving down paved roads, but I about died twice and the wife made me sell it.
So now here I am, looking at JLs and I’m wondering if the 2-door JL are just as loose on snowy roads. Is it a wheelbase thing, or a weight thing? My 4dr JKUR was amazing in the snow, and never rattled my confidence in it. Now I’m trying to determine if the heavier JLs and longer wheelbase (from the TJs) will make any difference.
Any help, input, opinions is appreciated. 2-door owner’s opinions with snow driving are really helpful.
(I live in West Michigan so we have crap roads 4 months a year.)
Sponsored

RockyMtnHigh

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon - Punk'n Orange
I'm in about your situation. I had a 2000 TJ for 7 years, driving through Michigan winters. While I haven't had my 2 door Rubicon JL in the snow yet (and I don't think anyone has, they only started production on 2 doors in May), I can say that the steering is significantly tighter and more responsive in the JL. The Rubicon stock tires are also decently aggressive. My JL has about 800 lbs on my TJ, which of course makes a difference. But as you already know the wheelbase is the biggest factor in handling, especially with rear-wheel drive. I'm confident that my JL will get me through the winter like a champ. Aside from the weight increase and slightly longer wheelbase, it also has traction control and ABS brakes. Luxuries I went without on the TJ. If a 2 door is your style, don't compromise for the 4 door.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I'm in about your situation. I had a 2000 TJ for 7 years, driving through Michigan winters. While I haven't had my 2 door Rubicon JL in the snow yet (and I don't think anyone has, they only started production on 2 doors in May), I can say that the steering is significantly tighter and more responsive in the JL. The Rubicon stock tires are also decently aggressive. My JL has about 800 lbs on my TJ, which of course makes a difference. But as you already know the wheelbase is the biggest factor in handling, especially with rear-wheel drive. I'm confident that my JL will get me through the winter like a champ. Aside from the weight increase and slightly longer wheelbase, it also has traction control and ABS brakes. Luxuries I went without on the TJ. If a 2 door is your style, don't compromise for the 4 door.
There are 2 different JL owners in Canada who are driving in snow now. Not sure if one is a 2-door? Both report the JL has been great. I will try to look up the post and link it if one is a 2-door.

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
Have driven 2 dr Yj's, and TJ's in the snow for quite some time. Never had any issues as long as you remember it goes good but doesn't stop any better than anyone else when the roads are slick.

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
Funny i love my 1999 tj in the snow and dont find it squirrely at all. I do have abs though. For 12 years it handled duluth mn winters better than any vehicle id ever seen. Way better than pickups.

Sponsored

Lord-Maniac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jk
waiting on my JL in D1 status but I have run the shit out of my 2012 JK 2 Door in the snow and it did Great I felt very confident but I could easily slip the rear around when playing. I loved having that power at the rear when needed but as long as I was driving like I should in that environment we went everywhere with ease I would say from test drives and known improvements the JL 2 door will even be better...but to simplify your question ...YES I WOULD DRIVE A LITTLE BIT SLOWER IF IT MENT A 2 DOOR ....lol

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
We’re a month away from snow season, and the first 2 doors didn’t get built until May. I’m confident it’s gonna handle great, though.

Anyway, I’d rather take it slow or stay inside than consider a 4 door. ;)

Turbo_punkn

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Should handle good. My 2 door jk was pretty good. Only thing I was t happy about was the traction control put me in a snow bank 1 time. Ever since I always turn it off in the snow
Sponsored