SmartStopStart Install Experience

JLRubiMD

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Went ahead and installed the SmartStopStart today, and simply love it.

We all have our pet peeves in life, and ESS has been one of mine from day one. For those who simply remember to push the button when you start your Jeep, this may be irrelevant. For whatever reason, I only remember to turn it off once my car shuts off the first time. My drive is short with several very short stoplights, I honestly don't see the ESS saving me any gas. For those with longer periods of stopping, possibly a different story.

The install is easy in principle. Unplug a plug, add the device, connect the plug into the other end, The tricky part is getting to the plug you have to disconnect. Here's what I did, and it was a breeze.

1) I did not try to unplug the plug while trying to look under the dash at the same time. I'm 6' 4" and simply don't fit laying under the dash to where I can then reach up. Instead, I took a peak, saw what plug I needed, then stood next to my Jeep in a comfortable position and reached up under the dash, felt for the plug I needed and disconnected it with one hand (this way I could easily push in the tab and unplug it at the same time).

2) Plugging it back in did not work with this "blind" method. Maybe with patience I could have blindly pushed the plug into the socket. Instead, I tried this and it slipped right in: I have lots of surgical instruments in my tool box and used a needle driver to easily pass the plug up and connect while looking underneath. This one was 7", long enough my hand did not need to fit up into the tight space. Long needle nose pliers or some other long pliers should work. This may not make sense until you are on your back, looking up under the dash trying to get the plug in. All I can say is it was super easy this way.

The SmartStopStart works perfect, and my ESS is now off every time I start my Jeep. I couldn't be happier.

upload_2019-7-4_19-33-18.png

The plug you need to reach is tucked up in there

IMG_5607.jpg

This made slipping the male end of the SmartStopStart into the socket a breeze
Sponsored

Last edited:

tCub

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S JL, 2018 Renegade Latitude 4x4
I was looking at these before because I HATE ESS, but also, holy $150, Batman... it’s “on sale” now for $20 off but still... I don’t know if I want to spend that much.

Quick question about it though - with it installed and active, when you start the Jeep, the does ESS buttons orange light on your center console turn on?

So the button you’d normally press to turn it off (and after turning it off will illuminate orange) - does this essentially push the button for you?

Doesn’t make a huge difference either way, just curious if this is stealthily disabling it or “pushing” the button off for you at start up.

Appreciate your feedback and perspective!!

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
I was looking at these before because I HATE ESS, but also, holy $150, Batman... it’s “on sale” now for $20 off but still... I don’t know if I want to spend that much.

Quick question about it though - with it installed and active, when you start the Jeep, the does ESS buttons orange light on your center console turn on?

So the button you’d normally press to turn it off (and after turning it off will illuminate orange) - does this essentially push the button for you?

Doesn’t make a huge difference either way, just curious if this is stealthily disabling it or “pushing” the button off for you at start up.

Appreciate your feedback and perspective!!
it adds memory... next time you start the Jeep, ESS will be set the same way as when you last turned it off. and yes, whenever ESS is off the light will be illuminated. so there is no difference in functionality or behaviour other than the button will remember it's last state. it's really wonderful and everybody should buy one of these :)

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't want to spend that much either but I do not regret it. Remembering to push that darn button 10,000 times is a pain. Plus I can turn it off and use ESS when I want. It's annoying in a hot climate to continually hear the engine start so the a/c can run at lights and in heavy traffic.

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

I installed the product last night. It works like a charm. The OP has it pretty much nailed. If you are a big guy, it takes a little bit of time. Make sure you make visual confirmation of the plugs, as feeling around blindly won't just get it done!

Sponsored

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I will add that while the velcro holds the main module, it appears it could come loose over time. So I spent an extra 10 seconds and put a single zip-tie around the module and the metal bar where it's located. Easy enough to snip the zip-tie if you need to remove the device.

bryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini, F250, Forester, 2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I am also a big guy. So I handed my #3 son the SmartStopStart module and the instructions. Installation was a breeze after that.

Jimmy_jak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Should you remove this when taking car in for service? What if it's just an oil change?

SmartStopStart.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartstopstart.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Electronics Engineer and Business Owner
Should you remove this when taking car in for service? What if it's just an oil change?
My recommendation is to remove it for any warranty service. If you know you are going to the dealer just for an oil change or tire rotation I would not bother.

Sponsored

marek

First Name
Marek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Jeep Wrangler Moab 03 Mercedes SL 500
My recommendation is to remove it for any warranty service. If you know you are going to the dealer just for an oil change or tire rotation I would not bother.
Why do you recommend removing it ?

SmartStopStart.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartstopstart.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Electronics Engineer and Business Owner
Why do you recommend removing it ?
Out of an abundance of caution, because unfortunately there are some dealers out there that look for excuses to deny warranty claims.

Fortunately it is quick to remove and reinstall once you get the hang of it.
Sponsored