Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
I use a SmartStartStop on my WK2, if that helps.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
For those that will be installing a SmartStopStart unit, I encourage you to take the time to watch this -> Click here , excellent video in regard to such an install...

Watch closely .... play close attention .... so, you know exactly which 2 connectors to deal with, etc. when doing the install. The install is easy easy for most people.

The video very clearly shows the install of the knock off, ESS override unit.... that knock off unit installs the same way, as the First to Market, top selling SmartStopStart for the JL/JLU/JT .... well, the same install, less the very last part of the instructional video... because with the SmartStopStart, since it is has a smaller physical footprint/presence, will not have you fooling with zip ties, etc..... as you would with the knock off unit..

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The auto stop eliminator plugs in to the gateway the same as the Tazer does according to their instructions? Even if you don’t think you’ll need the added features, I’m a firm believer in having the option. When you forget to turn off traction control and hit the slightest bit of mud in 2HI and the Jeep cuts all power, you’ll quickly want the Jeep to stop turning traction control back on every time you get in. When you realize how much more comfortable a rough but easy trail becomes with the sway bar disconnected in 2wd, tazer. Maybe you want to do some donuts in a snow covered parking lot or field? Rear locker in 2 HI and swing away. Tazer features are mandatory to get the most out of a rubicon, even if you leave it stock.
@Zandcwhite

About 3 yrs. ago, before Joe @ ZAutomotive was able to get the Tazer JL to deal with overriding ESS, I actually daisy chain connected the Tazer JL and a SmartStopStart unit... Doing that, I was a able to have the terrific features of the Tazer JL and the big plus/ESS override, afforded by the SmartStopStart.

After some time and some lets call it trials and tribulations.... Joe @ ZAutomotive was able to get the Tazer JL to deal with ESS override properly, which today the Tazer JL, does very well.

Today, I no longer use a Tazer JL on my JL, but I do daisy chain connect, a Security Gateway Bypass Module along with a SmartStopStart unit...

With this daily chained combo, I am able to use JSCAN and also have the terrific ESS overriding of ESS..... ......As most know, JSCAN does not deal with ESS in an acceptable fashion..

In closing is you want to use JSCAN and also override ESS, do consider the daily chained combo I mention... the combo works flawlessly...

OP
OP
Daniel-WA

Daniel-WA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLR ordered
Thanks everyone for the responses! My brief phone call with Steve just now showed excellent customer support (and patience!). I'm confident.

Ordering Ordered SmartStopStart. Thanks again!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Daniel-WA

Well, you purchased that SmartStopStart unit at a savings.... (Thanks for that Steve)

I suggest you take that $29 you saved and use it to buy a SGW Extension Cable..
https://www.zautomotive.com/product/z_sgw_ext/

You will be removing that SmartStopStart unit each time you take that JLU of your's to the dealership .... and well, that deed can be a real pain in the arse.. No pain in the arse though, if you have a SGW Extension Cable..

When you sell that JLU someday, you will easily be able to sell your SSS unit and the SGW Extension Cable for a few $ less then what you paid for the two.

No, not a sales pitch, no I do not work for Joe at ZAutomotive.. :giggle:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Daniel-WA

Daniel-WA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLR ordered
Good looking out -- thanks!

Prosperous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willy's
I wanted one of these after reading this post. The product page says the Smart Stop can't be sold in CA. The Autostop looks like it can ship to CA, at least their showing the CA prop 65 Cancer warning on the product page. I was hoping to order the Smart Stop but it seems like anyone in CA is out of luck.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wanted one of these after reading this post. The product page says the Smart Stop can't be sold in CA. The Autostop looks like it can ship to CA, at least their showing the CA prop 65 Cancer warning on the product page. I was hoping to order the Smart Stop but it seems like anyone in CA is out of luck.
@Prosperous

Well, I would not install an Autostop Eliminator if you gave it to me for free..

Suggest you buy a SmartStopStart unit and have it shipped to a friend or family member that lives outside of California... then have them mail it to you in Calif...

Flybaby

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler
SmartStopStart in the year 2016, was the very first to offer ESS override for Jeeps.

Other similar ESS override offerings are knockoffs of the original, first to market, SmartStopStart.

@SmartStopStart.com ha been a Forum Sponsor here since 2017. The owner of SmartStopStart (Steve) is a participating forum member.. he is an aok guy also...

Anyway, most JL and JT owner's that you talk to that have purchased an ESS override device went with a SmartStopStart unit.

I have been following JL related posts for 3 years+, on this forum, on other forums and on a few FB groups.

Yes, you do hear an occasional JL/JT owner say they installed an Autostop Eliminator, but more often then not, you read / hear they installed a SmartStopStart Unit.

Having closely followed posts as I mentioned, I have never heard/read one complaint about the SmartStopStart offering... The SmartStopStart works flawlessly...

Yes, I have read a small handful of complaints about the Autostop Eliminator... most of those complaints were complaints that the Autostop Eliminator hiccups occasionally... does not deal with ESS override, as flawlessly as the SmartStopStart unit does..

I will say that the install video that Autostop Eliminator has in regard to the install of the device on a JL or JT is very very good.. A top notch instructional video that I refer people to often..

Which to buy.... SmartStopStart or Autostop Eliminator.....

Well, the SmartStopStart is $29 less... so this unfortunately, may be the deciding factor for some...

Reasons why to go with the SmartStopStart offering if you wish to override ESS:
  1. Works flawlessly
  2. Many forum member's have a SmartStopStart and can field your questions, etc.
  3. Resale of the SmartStopStart... resells easily..you will recoop much of what you spent for it
  4. Footprint of the SmartStopStart unit is much smaller
  5. Install of the SmartStopStart unit is a tad less hassle as it's footprint is smaller
  6. Compare the SmartStopStart with the knockoff.... see the obvious quality differences
  7. SmartStop Start is a long time Forum Sponsor
  8. Owner of SmartStopStart is a forum member that fields ? here regarding SmartStopStart
  9. 100% assurance that SmatStopStart .. the companies owner, has your back so to speak
  10. Risk Free 90-day money-back satisfaction guarantee
  11. 3-year free repair/replacement warranty

smartstopstart.jpg

https://www.smartstopstart.com/jeep-dodge-chrysler-products.html
Like your explanation. Very informative. I will take a look at this system.

Sponsored

Zanner1718

First Name
Suzie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR, '11 GMC Yukon Tex Ed, '22 Cadillac CT5
I think I must have this on my Jeep. I bought a 2018JLUR with only 3600 miles on it last month. I got in, pushed the littel auto start/stop button so it lit up, and I haven't touched it since. Every time i get in my Jeep it's already lit. And the engine never stops as intersections. I just thought you only ever had to push the button once!

Canucklesammich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
I think I must have this on my Jeep. I bought a 2018JLUR with only 3600 miles on it last month. I got in, pushed the littel auto start/stop button so it lit up, and I haven't touched it since. Every time i get in my Jeep it's already lit. And the engine never stops as intersections. I just thought you only ever had to push the button once!
You have something already installed to keep it lit/bypassed. I have the Autostop and it's maybe the best buy I've made so far....HATED pushing that button (or more often, forgetting to hit it till the engine died @ an intersection) every time. Enjoy your added benefit! You might want to check under the dash, it's entirely possible it might be a Tazer, in which case there would be a whole list of additional things you could change.

Zanner1718

First Name
Suzie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR, '11 GMC Yukon Tex Ed, '22 Cadillac CT5
You have something already installed to keep it lit/bypassed. I have the Autostop and it's maybe the best buy I've made so far....HATED pushing that button (or more often, forgetting to hit it till the engine died @ an intersection) every time. Enjoy your added benefit! You might want to check under the dash, it's entirely possible it might be a Tazer, in which case there would be a whole list of additional things you could change.
thank you. I will definitely need to check this out.
Sponsored