Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Mikeyut3

I have been running the SmartStopStart , unit since I sold my TazerJL Mini which also dealt with ESS.

I installed theSSS. well over a year ago and 26,000 mi. ago ......and it has performed flawlessly since I installed it.

Fairly recently other such devices have come to market but personally, I like the footprint of the SmartStopStart better. I also know the guy/company offering them will back them and he will not be a ghost lets say.

Also..... The SmartStopStart unit is a bot more expensive then the knockoffs.. No big deal as when you sell your JL, you will be able to self the SmartStopStart unit to another JL or JT owner for about 75% or so of what you paid for it..

I recently posted the following in another thread:

For starters, I don't begrudge anyone for buying an OBD Genie or an Autostop Eliminator...

I will spew, that most here that don't use a Tazer JL to deal with ESS, have gone with the SmartStopStart unit to disable ESS. The guy that offers it is a JL owner, a long time forum goer and a forum sponsor. Also, a decent guy, a good communicator and a business owner that gives a dam.

Yes, the SmartStopStart unit costs a tad more, but I don't see them (others that sell a similar offering) here sponsoring the forum, talking JL, providing support and pertinent info regarding the hardware.

Anyway, I encourage all that are going to buy such a unit to consider the SmartStopStart unit for their JL or JT rather then other such offerings. Anyway, my vote is for the SmartStopStart unless you need the goodies that a Tazer JL Mini provides along with dealing with ESS.

On a side note.... The SmatStopStart unit for the JL was the first for use with the JL. It's a pretty streamline unit compared to the other competition's offering... and no, you don't need to use zip ties with the SSS unit. 8-) And the SSS works flawlessly.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Mikeyut3

Tidbit:... for those in New York State and other States that have yearly inspection, that necessitates the Inspection Center hook their computer to the JL's, OBDll port ..... Well, you do not need to uninstall the SmartStopStart unit when you go to the inspection center. The SmartStopStart unit does not impact negatively the Inspection Center's computer from dealing with your JL.

I might add that the same goes for the Tazer JL Mini. No need to uninstall when going to the Inspection Center.

OP
OP
Mikeyut3

Mikeyut3

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
@Mikeyut3

I have been running the SmartStopStart since I sold my TazerJL Mini which also dealt with ESS.
I installed it well over a year ago and 26,000 mi. and it has performed flawlessly since I installed it.

Fairly recently other such devices have come to market but personally, I like the footprint of the SmartStopStart better. I also know the guy/company offering them will back them and he will not be a ghost lets say.

Also..... The SmartStopStart unit is a bot more expensive then the knockoffs.. No big deal as when you sell your JL, you will be able to self the SmartStopStart unit to another JL or JT owner for about 75% or so of what you paid for it..

I recently posted the following in another thread:

For starters, I don't begrudge anyone for buying an OBD Genie or an Autostop Eliminator...

I will spew, that most here that don't use a Tazer JL to deal with ESS, have gone with the SmartStopStart unit to disable ESS. The guy that offers it is a JL owner, a long time forum goer and a forum sponsor. Also, a decent guy, a good communicator and a business owner that gives a dam.

Yes, the SmartStopStart unit costs a tad more, but I don't see them (others that sell a similar offering) here sponsoring the forum, talking JL, providing support and pertinent info regarding the hardware.

Anyway, I encourage all that are going to buy such a unit to consider the SmartStopStart unit for their JL or JT rather then other such offerings. Anyway, my vote is for the SmartStopStart unless you need the goodies that a Tazer JL Mini provides along with dealing with ESS.

On a side note.... The SmatStopStart unit for the JL was the first for use with the JL. It's a pretty streamline unit compared to the other competition's offering... and no, you don't need to use zip ties with the SSS unit. 8-) And the SSS works flawlessly.
Awesome write up. As a sponsor has he given us any discounts? Thx!

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mikeyut3

Mikeyut3

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I hear it's reliable. I'd at least though check out the Tazer JL products at Z Automotive https://www.zautomotive.com/product-category/tazer/
to see if the additional functionality there is worth the money to you over the cost of the cheaper but less feature rich SmartStartStop product.
Only want ESS as I am a bit concerned about the “glitches” that I have read sometimes come with tazer - Im sure they all get fixed with updates, etc but I dont want to even think about that. Also I had my tire size recalibrated at dealer for $100 and no labor cost. Also they mounted the spare for free. So really was the equivalent of $75. Personally dont need anything else tazer does.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Only want ESS as I am a bit concerned about the “glitches” that sometimes come with tazer. Also I had my tire size recalibrated at dealer for $100 and no labor cost. Also they mounted the spare for free. So really was the equivalent of $75.
I hear that. If a year from now if your thoughts change you can always upgrade, selling the SmartStopStart to offset costs.

Plenty of people have said that they only want to disable ESS and stuck with that. And plenty have grown to love some of the cool features from Z Automotive products as time owning a JL passes and wished they got it initially.

You know you best. : - )

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Only want ESS as I am a bit concerned about the “glitches” that sometimes come with tazer. Also I had my tire size recalibrated at dealer for $100 and no labor cost. Also they mounted the spare for free. So really was like $75.
@Mikeyut3

I was one of the first here with the original Tazer JL and then Joe, at ZAutomotive upgraded me to a TazerJL Mini. Early on the goings were lets say, a tad bumpy with the TazerJL and the Tazer JL Mini. Boy, could I tell ya some stories.

Thanks to firmware updates, Joe has gotten the Taser JL Mini up to speed lets say, but still with the Tazer JL Mini,, you can get into some pretty deep chitt..

IF, your need is just for ESS, go with the SSS unit.. Easy install, never hiccupos, never drains your batteries down... pure joy, no fuss, no muss lets say.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
SSS is great and, as stated above, the business owner is a member and a good guy.

I’ve run an original Tazer two piece since it was released, but wanted to try SSS to see if it could replace my Tazer (I don’t use any of the fancy Tazer features). Long story short, SSS is simple, small, and flawless. Even so, I realized in a hurry that the weather alerts that the Tazer suppresses are too big an annoyance for me. So, SSS is sitting in my glove compartment at the moment. I can’t bring myself to sell it, though, so that says something...
Sponsored