Sleeves and RCVs

gbr

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I'm planning on going to RCV for the front axle, and would like to sleeve at the same time. I'm having issues finding sleeves that say they work with RCVs. Has anybody done it, or can give me some pointers in the right direction?

Gerald
Sponsored

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
I'm planning on going to RCV for the front axle, and would like to sleeve at the same time. I'm having issues finding sleeves that say they work with RCVs. Has anybody done it, or can give me some pointers in the right direction?

Gerald
Sure, don’t bother.

1. - There’s a reason they don’t make them. The Ring and Pinion will become the weak point and are physically restricted as far as size to make them stronger.

2. - By the time you spend all the coin beefing up your stock axle you probably would be close to or same cost as a D60 Full Float axle with manual locking hubs which will be astronomically stronger than a beefed up D44 - and full float which in of itself makes it a worthwhile upgrade over beefing up the stock units.

3. - A Ford “Super 60” can be built for fairly cheap if you are handy or have a good shop. It comes with a few challenges though. Or for more money you can get a more direct bolt in with 95% of gremlins removed for you.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

Gerald
I wouldn’t bother with sleeves, if you’re concerned, I’d truss it before sleeving. Even if you find some, most of the time they’re so tight that if your axle tubes aren’t perfect, I mean even thousands of an inch, you’re gonna play hell getting them in all the way, and if you don’t, you’ll have to cut them off and truss it anyway.......just saying.......✌

OP
OP
gbr

gbr

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
The plan is to sleeve and truss. I don't have the $10-$15K to lay out for new axles. I understand the weaknesses of the system, but its better than what I got.

LunchBoxFab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
2. - By the time you spend all the coin beefing up your stock axle you probably would be close to or same cost as a D60 Full Float axle with manual locking hubs which will be astronomically stronger than a beefed up D44 - and full float which in of itself makes it a worthwhile upgrade over beefing up the stock units.
you're WAAAAY off base here.

for starters there is no such thing as a "full float" front axle with with or without manual hubs.
a stock 30 spline d60 and a beefed up JLR d44 are VERY comparable in strength.
a truss is $99 and the RCVs are $1200 (with a warranty). good luck finding ONE dana60 that will bolt into the JLU for even DOUBLE that price.

you do know that these new "dana44s" are actually much different from the d44s in the JK and in previous revisions, right?
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/attachments/img_20190620_082443363-jpg.194380/

Sponsored

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
you are not going to find sleeve kits for the front axle in a JL mainly because of the FAD is in the way, and the other reason you dont see them is they didnt use the think axle tube wall that they used on the JK, the JL has a more beefier axle housing tube than the JK so it is not really neaded.

The big weak point on the front is the fad housing and the best way to beef that up is with a good truss

OP
OP
gbr

gbr

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
you are not going to find sleeve kits for the front axle in a JL mainly because of the FAD is in the way, and the other reason you dont see them is they didnt use the think axle tube wall that they used on the JK, the JL has a more beefier axle housing tube than the JK so it is not really neaded.

The big weak point on the front is the fad housing and the best way to beef that up is with a good truss
I'll be doing a FAD delete.

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
I'll be doing a FAD delete.
The fad delete removes the fad actuator but the casting for the fad remains and the seals in the casting

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
All you need is a truss for the front, for extra insurance I run the arb cover which is designed to act as a truss horizontally. Sleeves aren’t needed, these axles are stronger than what came in the JK

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I'm in the middle of a front axle repair and upgrade.

The only thing in addition to the truss install that is being recommended for the housing is welding the stock axle tubes to the center section completely.

For axles going with RCV's.
Sponsored