Sponsored

Should you still buy?

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
I figure most everyone buying a new Wrangler has some level of disposable income.
Jeep buyers come from all sorts of economic circumstances, with all kinds of inclinations, in all shapes, colors, and sizes. Some will go off-road, most won’t. Some have lots of disposable income, and some have none, are buying on the “excitement plan”, and probably shouldn’t be buying a car at all

I buy nice things but only when they are a 'bargain.' The only MSRP vehicle I have ordered was a 4R TRD Pro and that is because they go for $10-15k over MSRP in my area. I could not find another dealer able to beat the Koons price.
Except during the recent COVID nonsense, 4-runners, though very popular, have been as available as other vehicles in the northwest. We bought one well below MSRP. If the dealers in your area are demanding $10k to $15k over invoice then buy somewhere else. We were given the same line of BS when I tried to buy our Raptor in Oregon — so I found exactly what I wanted on eBay, verified the good reputation of the seller-dealership in Maine, and bought it over the phone in less than half an hour. I wired them the money, they sent me the MSO, I got plates at DMV, and then my wife and I flew out to Maine. We picked up the trick and had a great trip on the way home. It was one of our best vehicle-buying experiences and we made an adventure out of it. You’re never a hostage to local dealer BS… they build new vehicles every day.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Jeep buyers come from all sorts of economic circumstances, with all kinds of inclinations, in all shapes, colors, and sizes. Some will go off-road, most won’t. Some have lots of disposable income, and some have none, are buying on the “excitement plan”, and probably shouldn’t be buying a car at all

Except during the recent COVID nonsense, 4-runners, though very popular, have been as available as other vehicles in the northwest. We bought one well below MSRP. If the dealers in your area are demanding $10k to $15k over invoice then buy somewhere else. We were given the same line of BS when I tried to buy our Raptor in Oregon — so I found exactly what I wanted on eBay, verified the good reputation of the seller-dealership in Maine, and bought it over the phone in less than half an hour. I wired them the money, they sent me the MSO, I got plates at DMV, and then my wife and I flew out to Maine. We picked up the trick and had a great trip on the way home. It was one of our best vehicle-buying experiences and we made an adventure out of it. You’re never a hostage to local dealer BS… they build new vehicles every day.
I've bought 2 trucks where I had to fly to the dealer's location and was picked up by the dealer. One dealer took the cost of the air fare, for my wife and I, off of the price, in addition to the agreed discount. Both experiences were a fun little trip.

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
I've bought 2 trucks where I had to fly to the dealer's location and was picked up by the dealer. One dealer took the cost of the air fare, for my wife and I, off of the price, in addition to the agreed discount. Both experiences were a fun little trip.
You'd think it would be hard for distant dealers to compete for the business, and you'd think the local dealer wouldn't want to lose the business and risk the reputation damage. Given what they make or service and used vehicles, trying to gross the locals seems like a bad strategy. Between my dad, my uncle, and me, our family has purchased more than 25 pickups from the local Ford dealer since 1975, but we're done with them. I'm grumpy, so I'm determined to avoid sending them more money, and I've told them as much. I won't matter, but a few thousand like me might start to matter.
Sponsored