Sponsored

Shifting into 4WD

xpsruler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport
Finally got my new JL Sport! Having previously owned a Cherokee Trailhawk (4wh kicked in automatically) and a Liberty (would flip a digital switch), this is my first Wrangler (Command-Trac). While 4h works great, it takes a very hard pull to get it into 4h. Is this normal for Wranglers or should I be concerned?

This is my first post but I've lurked on the forums here for a while. Thanks for the help!
Sponsored

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
Very hard pull doesn’t sound right, although I’m unfamiliar with the JK/JL shifter. On my TJ I have to be careful to be in neutral and driving slow to avoid grinding when switching to 4L, but it’s not harder to pull.

(Updated to clarify because from your post originally I thought you meant 4L but now I see you said hard to pull into 4H)

Pugfug

First Name
Jonathon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram Power Wagon, 2015 Nissan Xterra Pro 4-X, 2018 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited JL
Occupation
Ramblin Man
Should be firm....but not difficult to pull into 4h...I would probably have it checked to make sure that the linkage underneath is properly adjusted...

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
Also, if parked, pull it ( jeep)forward or reverse a little, should work better

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
FIrst off, Congrats on the new Jeep. Let's see some pics!!!

Definitely don't force it, you could break the linkage or cable. If you're not sure, bring it back to the dealer. Just to make sure everything is ok. Usually, the more you use 4wd, the easier it will be to move the transfer case lever next time.

It should be pretty easy to get it into 4H, as you can do it while moving.

4L is usually the tough one, because you either need to be stopped or rolling forward at about 1-2 mph, with the transmission in neutral (or clutch pressed).

Either way, don't use 4H or 4L on Dry Paved Roads.

Sponsored

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
Mine is kinda tough to get in 4h, hopefully will go away with time. TJ was much easier. I’ll ask dealer on Monday while I’m getting lift installed

mbuck45

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Mine is kinda tough to get in 4h, hopefully will go away with time. TJ was much easier. I’ll ask dealer on Monday while I’m getting lift installed
Mine have always been a little tough.
What about turning at low speeds in 4H any issues?

OP
OP
xpsruler

xpsruler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport
Thanks for the quick replies.I'll get some pics in later. I haven't tried 4 low yet but can say it worked really well in 4H (was on a loose dirt road). It shifts into 4H smoothly but justvseems to need a pretty strong pull. Turning felt great.

Abbey

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 TJ
Thanks for the quick replies.I'll get some pics in later. I haven't tried 4 low yet but can say it worked really well in 4H (was on a loose dirt road). It shifts into 4H smoothly but justvseems to need a pretty strong pull. Turning felt great.
I test drove a Sport this week, and I had a similar experience with needing to pull much harder than expected to get into 4H. Even rolled it back and forth before pulling harder. Much different than my TJ. Did not try shifting to 4L on the JL.

ResponsibleAdult

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, Rubicon, Mojito
I shifted into 4H while driving the JLU Sahara w/out Selectrac. Found it a much harder shift than in my LJ.

Sponsored

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
Mine have always been a little tough.
What about turning at low speeds in 4H any issues?
That’s how I’ve been trying to shift it. Pretty hard to shift. I’ll let you know what dealer says. I remember my TJ going in and out like nothing

Nbland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl
Yeah mine was kinda hard to shift into 4h and now it feels like the linkage is broken. UGH time to call the dealer

Sierra Nevada

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red Rubi JL Unlimited
Hopefully 4H and 4L shifting is idiot proof.

Case in point. During a JL test drive, the sales person was trying to shift a JL into 4H and 4L ... he did not know what he was doing. I tried to tell him what the owner's manual said about shifting, but he ignored me and just jammed the transfer case gearing into the desired position. lol. Sure glad I did not buy that JL (blk rubi).

Quigley

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2 door, 2018 Harley Limited 115th Anniversary Edition, 2017 Ram 2500 4x4 diesel
I noticed this same issue. Much harder to get the JL into and out of 4H.

With the Rubi, the salesman had me rock the jeep back and forth several times to get it out of 4H.

Never had this issue with my previous 3 Wranglers 1980, 1992 and 1998 Sahara all 2 dr

Wondering if this is a design issue.

Beware the salesman who says, "No problem, we'll have Service fix it after you buy it)

steelerpsugirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Sport S
I just used my 4 High today and also found it tough to shift (JLU Sport). Never driven a Wrangler until now so I definitely feel like I have a learning curve, especially with turning a little more sharply!
Sponsored